Pentlow Church; Morning Flight, Almost Ending in Disaster

Having bought a DJI Mini SE drone recently, I have been practicing in fields at the back of the house. Not having any experience with RC equipment, flying the drone in the fields was a big help in gaining some experience in control, also if I made any error I could retrieve the drone quite easily. After several trial flights, I felt confident in handling the drone controls. And so on a warm sunny morning, I went to a local spot with my wife to video the local church that almost ended in disaster.
Pentlow church is one of only four ancient round towered churches in Essex. It has been dated back in the middle Saxon period (A.D 650-850).
After setting the control parameters up in the DJI Fly software, I was ready to go. I set the drone down on flat ground then took off, videoing my flight around the church. All was going well until my concentration was broken by two wasps that perpetually flew around my head. As a result, I didn’t notice how close I was to some trees when disaster struck. The drone flew into the tree and I thought I’d lost it. It was my wife who found the drone laying in the bushes below the tree. I checked the drone over, no damage was sustained, I was lucky. Next time, I’ll let go of the controls because I might not be so lucky.

3 Likes

Nice pins @RocknRoll_Queen I’ve never seen a church with a round tower.
I’ve never liked wasps :roll_eyes: glad the drone was ok though :+1:

Hi Earthmonkey

Thank you for your message. Apparently there are only four round tower churches in Essex, Pentlow being the most northerly. The wasps were a major nuisance, it’s possible there was a nest nearby. But I got what I wanted nearly at the expence of losing the drone.

RocknRoll_Queen :grinning:

1 Like

A tip if you’re bothered by something (people, insects, dogs, etc.) is just to take your hands off the controls. The drone will stay where it is while you deal with the issue at hand

Disclaimer, don’t try this with an FPV drone :wink:

Ancillary use of a landing pad is picking it up and swatting whatever insects are bothering you.

Usually mosquitoes around where I fly, especially golden hour/twilight. Gets me more stares than flying the drone itself usually when I’m waving it in the air at bugs.