Permission to fly in Heathrow FRZ

Hi. Sorry if it be on here before … Am. QPR supporter for my sins … QPR FC is in a FRZ … and rang Heathrow air controller for permission to fly an orbit around QPR sometime in future. Which I can as long keep to a certain height … have a Mavic Mini pro 3 with the R/C 1 controller ( that the one with phone attached) so what do I need on the fly app and DJI to unlock when I get permission? This be my first time to gain permission to fly in FRZ. Thanks. Steve .

You don’t need a DJI unlock… Only required if flight is above the 500M altitude zone and we can only legally go 120M in that area.

1 Like

Good luck again Coventry today.
Please keep to posted on how this goes, I would love to do a fly over of Plough Lane (South London).

1 Like

You can do it at the time of the flight through the fly app

You will need internet access as it’s a blue zone to unlock

2 Likes

Actually - it’s not.

FRZs are of a specific size, centred on airports, with extensions in line with runway centrelines. More information can be found on Drone Scene here.

These are the closest FRZs to Loftus Road … :red_circle:

You can check this on Drone Scene here.

I think you are referring to Class D airspace - in which case check the info on Drone Scene here, where you’ll see there are no restrictions for flying drones beneath 400ft.

1 Like

It is a DJI FRZ as are most stadiums now

He will need to unlock when onsite

NFZ, made up shit

Probably best to do it on a match day, less people about :grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks for your info … much appreciated
So to unlock on my DJI Fly App do I need a code ?
Or would I need to just unlock on when shown in the app. ? Only thought it in FRZ cos on match days I see plenty of aircraft every 2 mins or so coming in to London Heathrow airport …

1 Like

Yeah should be a self unlock taking responsibility for the flight

You just need a DJI account and internet access

2 Likes

@Tooting37
it’s dead easy after doing it once. Go to the DJI tutorial site and you get a step by step guide.
I did one a bit back as a trial, and you will after installing the ‘clearance’ get warnings to say where you are and fly carefully but it does allow you to go into those areas.

1 Like

I get the same warning around the Riverside stadium, home of Middlesbrough FC and the drone stops dead.

What, after getting ‘release’ from DJI?

1 Like

Didn’t get one. Not sure how to so didn’t bother. Next time it comes up I’ll get a release.

You mean the next time the venue comes up? You can get ‘releases’ from DJI whenever you require them, they do not come out at a specific time.

Side note, it’s easier to do it from home before setting off as it makes it all so much clearer to understand.

Still a bit of a ball ache though

Stadiums can be live unlocked as long as you have internet access

1 Like

That’s why DH and NFD are a much better option :wink:

1 Like

No, I was thinking of the next time it warned me, but reading your post about doing it from home makes sense, thanks for that.