PfCO / A2 CofC - Advice

1 Like

Thanks mate, just had a look and from what I can see the rules are going to get much better and less restricted. Am I right?

I recently got my A2CofC certificate and with new legislation coming in it pretty much means if sensible obviously, you can fly almost anywhere with the mavic mini upto 30mtrs of people. I also have air 2 and with certification i can fly to 50mtrs. So i would say get A2CofC and the world is your oyster.

Where you from, i live telford shropshire

Thank you I will certainly look in to it

I’ve been looking at this.

https://pigscanfly.photography/the-£99-a2-cofc

I would wait and see what happens first , these companies are as good as giving away these A2cofc and I cannot help but wonder why ? Maybe if it’s no deal with EU is this A2cofc going to be worth anything ? So I would hold fire and see what if anything happens

2 Likes

I regularly fly on a beach after walking out at least 150m from the sea-front buildings and 50m from the road. There’s only me and a few boats. I fly parallel to or away from the road. I wouldn’t see that beach as a built-up/busy area.

3 Likes

It’s irrelevant whether there’s a deal or no deal (those are just about trade agreements, nothing to do with EU legislation): under the Withdrawal Act, we retain any EU law we are already signed up to when we exit, until we get around to making a deliberate change to it. And the EASA drone regulations are already binding on the UK as they were EU law some time ago, even though the rules only come into force now. The CAA are fully committed to this now, it’s in all their published guidance.

2 Likes

Race to the bottom, as is the norm with this sort of thing, gotta feel for the early adopters who paid £300 for it not so long ago

2 Likes

I get what you say and I agree that’s what the guidance says but what puzzles me is why these companies are dropping their prices so much and so fast , maybe it’s like Chris says rat race to the bottom but why would you when so many want to take it , demand is there or do they fear the CAA will change their mind ? and it wouldn’t be the first time the CAA did a u turn, I know nothing just it all seems strange plus no drone manufacturer has released a drone that meets these new rules . So for me I’m going to wait and see , not long to wait and it’s only getting cheaper anyway.

Since the courses are online, once they’ve made back the cost of creating the course, it costs them very little per extra person trained (just the cost to run the exam, website, admin etc), so even at £99 these will still be profitable, I guess.

1 Like

As keeps being pointed out, it’s a race to cash in :slight_smile:

There is only a small and finite number of people who the course will be of interest too. Especially as you don’t need this A2 cert. so the audience numbers are limited as it is. I’d say less than 1% of GADC members have taken it so far?

The more people that take the course, the smaller the market gets.

Every day there are more and more training providers jumping on the bandwagon so the market share is getting smaller still.

As mentioned above it’s a very low-overhead course for the provider as staff and venues and other overheads are not there.

Therefore each provider is trying to offer an incentive to use them, rather than a competitor. The easiest way to entice people is by lowering the price :slight_smile:

If you’re still considering taking the course then sit tight, it’s only going to get cheaper still :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Also let’s not forget, the new regs might all get put on hold before the new year anyway :rofl:

3 Likes

Yes I think you are right there , whatever happens my M2P will be legacy anyway but as I live in rural Norfolk I don’t fly near people and always try to avoid where people are and if all else fails I will just get a mini 2 or as you say its only getting cheaper and at this rate they might end up paying us to take it lol

1 Like

Exactly. Easy money.

I wouldn’t call it easy money. I’m doing the UAVHub £99 jobbie at the moment and I have to say a lot of time and good work has gone into its preparation. Good for them if they do well out of it.

7 Likes

Well said

I bought a drone (MM) in May 2020, so I’m a relative newcomer.

I was aware of all the public negatively (Peado, Gatwick, prison drug runner) so thought that doing some formal qualifications would keep me on the right side of the law.

And so far, it has.

For what it’s worth…

The DMARES is a joke. It’s basic education, and not difficult in any way whatsoever. You can take the exam as many times as you like for your £9.

The A2 CofC is a step up from the DMARES. I enjoyed studying that and I learnt a lot.

The GVC/PfCO is pretty much the same as the A2 CofC, with the only real addition being detailed risk assessment and the planning/contingency around that.

I’m not interested in flying closer to uninvolved people… I actually think that’s a bit creepy.

Learning something new is no bad thing.

There are a lot of folk on here who’ve been nowhere near any kind of formal drone operation qualification but are eminently sensible; and that’s gained through experience.

And when you’re on the right side of the law, you can start working on your video/photo skills. That’s what most of us are looking for.

Ned

10 Likes

I think there is slightly more involvement than just that, as the PfCO/GVC covers air law and meteorology, air navigation charts as well, so is quite a bit more in depth.

1 Like