PfCO Flight Test and Preparation

Hi All. I have read up on the previous threads on this topic but have a couple of questions that I couldn’t see answers to:

1. What height are you expected to fly the flat manoeuvres at?
  2. In general how far away are you flying for example when asked to hover over a static point? How far away is it?
  3. I can take the test with a Phantom 4 or a Mavic 2. The difference being I would be able to put the P4 into Atti mode. What would you guys recommend?

I want to get plenty of practise in before my test and some tips on what to practise would be great.

I have decided to finish my PfCO and have booked myself a flight test in May. I have my Ops Manual template to complete. Any other advice you can give me would be really appreciated. What should I brush up on?

Thank all and apologies if this has been asked and answered before I could not find it.

1 Like

It will likely depend on your assessor what you’ll be asked to do.

1. For manœuvres, it will be at roughly 3-5 meters in height
  2. Part of the assessment is to fly up to 120m and 500m in distance or whichever distance you are confortable with. On my assessment we were asked to take pictures of a static object from 3 sides and keeping 30m away from it. The height was roughly 20m.
  3. You’ll be able to do the test with either drone, make sure you have your operators ID on the drone :+1:
2 Likes

I know someone who was asked to do a figure of “8” and had a cone where the cross over point was to be.
He was also asked to do a square, and also to take his drone to another cone ,which was at 100 metres and estimate when he was above it, and hover.
He had to have 2 attempts at this, and to make sure he was above it, they got him to tilt his camera straight down.
I would practice a lot in ATTI Mode with your P4. it is a great way to learn to fly your drone.
Wish we had it on the Mavic 2 Pro !.

4 Likes

It does depend on the examiner.

2 Likes

Just what I was about to say Steve.
Why the hell do they not keep it the same for everyone !!.
Should really be a set test, the same for everybody.

3 Likes

The flight assessment was the one part most people on my PfCO course were dreading because it was all unknown. I agree, there should be a standardised format of what it to be assessed and how it should be done. The assessment you mentioned with the different manoeuvres sounds quite daunting.

2 Likes

Would be interesting to hear from others who have done the PfCO test, and see, if there is common manoeuvre’s that they have been asked to do?.

1 Like

The square/rectangle and the figure of 8 seems to be common as well as a 45 degree assent/dessent.

1 Like

Let’s be honest if you can’t do simple manoeuvres like this, nose in, nose out without looking at the screen you shouldn’t be flying

3 Likes

Could not agree more Chris, should be one of the first things a drone flyer should master.

1 Like

This is why I have my non mavic 2s so I can get into ATTI or stabilised mode for those using arducopter, so I can fly the craft, nothing like trying to hold position in 10-15 mph winds to hone your skills. :grin:

1 Like

Squares, squares and more squares in ATTI as well as taking photos at certain distances

As well as the flying, remember that your practical test should be planned for an flown as if it were a professional job, so make sure you know the Ops manual you’re flying your test under. For my test I could either fly under my own or one provided by my NQE. As part of the test your examiner will ask you questions about it (how you planned your flight, what your emergency procedures are, etc.). Also you’ll need to show that you are following your procedures (pre-flight, flight and landing).

That’s exactly how mine went. I’ve said in other threads, it was the cone in the middle that threw me because I’d been practicing a pretty lazy figure 8 which I thought would be good enough, then suddenly had to hit a mark on every loop.

I’d say the most important thing to practice is moving your drone from point A to point B. Don’t worry about whether it’s a square, a rectangle or a pentagram… so long as you can go to a set point and stop over it you won’t have a problem doing whatever shape your examiner asks for. Oh, and practice the figure 8 just in case (it’s fun anyway, even if it’s not in your test).

Not sure about the photos. My NQE was pretty insistent that the PfCO is nothing to do with whether you can take a nice picture, it’s only about being able to fly safely. Didn’t take a single frame in my test.

1 Like

The video here about covers mine:

https://www.upliftdronetraining.com/courses/flight-test/

1 Like

You need to FLY in order to practice them and get them adequate then more practice to get good then more flying and practice to get them perfect, us new flyers are just trying to understand what we should practice doing when flying rather than just flying around taking subpar videos etc

1 Like

Thanks for al your great advice. I think my flying should be OK it’s just fear of the unknown and not knowing how to prepare for it. They seem to like to make it a bit of a mystery which in my mind makes it a bit unprofessional. I think there should be a set test that you can practice for, then perhaps a free section where they can ask you to show some more advanced flying. Just an opinion of course.

1 Like

Thanks @JoeC great advice.

1 Like

On the plus side they are testing to see wether you are ready to do Professional work which by and large is the reason most would do the course and want the PfCO At the end of the day No two Clients will ask you do to the same thing So maybe they are training you for the ‘real world’

1 Like

my main fault as a newbie to drones at the time was that i didn’t take off and land manually ( i do now) or even know how to. So make sure you know how to do that.

I was told not to look at the screen at all, should be flying by sight not off a screen, no pictures required as that’s not essential to safe operating which is what you’re being tested for not just flying.

2 Likes

I’ve just signed up on UAV-HUB (free to do all the home based learning) And that Q comes up quite early Mr MPW (the founder & presenter of the videos) give the reason for the Atti mode being tested if you have it on your Craft is, It’s good to be able to have a working knowledge of ‘how to fly in atti’ as under certain circumstances the Craft could default into Atti-mode

As to Which you can do either it’s really up to you but if you take the Atti-mode ‘able’ Craft then be prepared to be tested using it

Remember you can always learn Atti-mode after you pass with-out it with your ‘ none Atti’ Craft

The course instructor suggests it not as hard to learn as you may imagine

Good Luck!

1 Like