PfCO Flight Test and Preparation

See, there are the inconsistencies between NQEs again. I was told during my test to use the screen. Still had to be able to fly by sight, but when it came to stopping directly over a cone 150ft away it was a case of line up and fly there by sight, but as you get close start to use a combination of by sight and the screen to get the final position. If nothing else, it meant I’d demonstrated I could look at the screen and then find the drone again when I looked back up.

Which reminds me @Joe… another thing to practice is your situational awareness. Get in the habit of continually scanning the flight area and sky (including behind you) for incursions and risks whilst also keeping an eye on your drone and on your screen. You should have had something in your training about techniques for that.

For my flight test I approached it like checking the mirrors in your driving test. Once you’ve got your license you check your mirrors by moving your eyes… but for your driving test the examiner needs to see you’re doing it so move your head and make it obvious.

Also, if you do have a member of the public wander along or some other incursion, say so out loud for the benefit of your examiner. I had one who walked right to the edge of the flight area (not inside it), stopped, and watched for a bit. I immediately told the examiner that I’d seen them, they weren’t currently posing a risk, so my flight could continue. That earned me an approving nod and some scribbles in their notes.

Why check your screen if you’re not taking photos and flying by sight? Well, others might say not to bother, but there’s a lot of information on that screen. I was asked twice during my flight test what my battery level was and answering that without having to check looks more competent/professional (IMHO).

3 Likes

Each examiner will no doubt have is own little take on ‘what is best’ My recommendation would be to remember to ask before the start as to if He would prefer me to fly with or without?

2 Likes

@iGo-droning @JoeC Great advice. Thanks both

1 Like

I was told to Check the shot, as this is like a real life scenario, where you would position the drone check the shot and then relocate the drone again. Was only the once, but that was his explanation.

2 Likes

I still struggle doing a figure of eight etc but fly my drone ok, I can fly it better in real world than I can on the DJI simulator.
So if it’s better to learn how to fly in atti mode and The Mavic Pro does not do atti mode what’s the best cheap drone to buy to learn flying skills ???

My understanding is that Atti-mode just turns off the GPS and in doing so it will not ‘Lock’ position when hovering (Please correct me if I’m wrong - now there’s an invitation :rofl:)If this is correct then Ryze Tello with GameSir controller added to 3rd Party App will do the Trick for about £100-£140

One of the members offered up this as a suggestion the other day on a thread You can even learn how to work toward being an Amazon collection Drone operator at the same time :rofl:

1 Like

The good thing with the Tello is the App this one

Is Specific to Tello and presents on screen very similar to DJI products

Things to note are:—
1.Tello APV app is only available at this time for Android
2. Get the right app others are close in name but that’s where it stops (many include FPV in description info)
3. The App ‘sits on top’ of the original one so you have to use the manufacturers App at least once for the 3rd party one to work
4. Good news is the Tello FPV App has a very comprehensive Manual and the Developer is very much into incremental improvements

Hope this helps if not you then someone else!

hahaha that would be entertaining, like to see the range I live in west cornwall

1 Like

If you thinking of starting a one man post Exit B… war with France I don’t think the Cannons will have that sort of range :rofl:

Oh wait did you mean the Craft itself?

Thanks guys :joy::joy::joy::joy:

I have just bought an iPhone 11 so it will not work on my phone

Yikes Dave me too! Looks like possible the Tello with standard app Or buy a cheap Android ( no one you know got one in the draw just so you can fly?(

And I saw this this morning and thought of you :roll_eyes:

Thanks Ian I might have a look at that on eBay

1 Like

That looks a scam if I ever saw one !

In what way? Such a sweeping statement!

Just be aware that it is long dispatch & who knows if Corona is having an impact on Chinese shipping times (although usually many things come quicker that stated)

Good point I will probably try and stick to uk sellers if that’s possible :+1:

Alternatively

Have you tried one of these Ian ?