PhillyDroneLife fined $182,000 by FAA

I don’t have much sympathy for someone who flouted the rules so blatently and then made it all puclic too.

Watched that the other day. The other side. I still need to see some of the things he did.
Weird seeing bot being nearly “serious” lol

1 Like

@gunja99 That was an interesting interview for sure. It’s always good to get both sides of the story and that all that’s being said by the media isn’t necessarily true, nor should it be taken at face value. Thx. :+1:

Well yes interesting (mainly seeing Bot as a serious interviewer lol). Though Philly… Come on claiming he don’t know the rules didn’t know what was legal or not…

As said before I dont hold a side one way another but I don’t believe he answered all calls and questions and letters from the FAA… Truth probably somewhere in the middle and the FAA definitely trying to make an example of him (rightly or wrongly not sure).

With nurk previously having big fines and Wes vardy in Australia, this one is massive!

2 Likes

yeah, but this fine is built up of multiple infringements (think it’s 123 infringements at $1,500 each = $184,500 as the total) … like driving down the m6 /m42 or m1 at 100mph past all the speed cameras on the gantries … each occurrence is a separate fine for doing the same things over and over again that just racks up the fine. (knew someone once who got done by the same camera van within seconds of each other… got done going past the camera van… flew round a roundabout and shot back up the same road and got done again… two fines… same offence … c’est la vie)

very seldom do these sort of fines actually get paid, they are negotiated and settled. the flip side is just to declare bankruptcy and no one gets anything, you get 5-7 years without a credit score but given he does not own his own house he has limited assets anyway that is the way I would go… or move elsewhere and keep a low profile…

if he keeps being a nail then someone is going to want to hammer him eventually.

stop being a nail…

3 Likes

Had this happened in the U.K., it would have been criminal charges, not civil ones. He’d have done time over here ( or at least community service ) :wink::wink:

Or just a slap on the wrist! Or ignored…

only one of those seems to actually be unlawful (or at least in the UK EDIT: didn’t know the statue was 600ft high…)

watch this space for the actual case

Interesting.
I’m going to California in the summer and would be good to find out more about what I will be allowed to do with my drone while there.

Someone has finally taken some legal advice and admitted he did wrong. Or simply listened to the FAA like he should have done in the first place

Also decided I don’t particularly like the guy.

Bets on how low the fine will be reduced to?

1 Like

Its taken all this time to admit he broke the rules.

My guess is that due to him mentioning his addiction in the interview and how all this has affected his mental health, they will probably drop the fine and just put a monitor on his compliance with the rules. (If thats possible)

P.S. I wont be hitting the subscribe button I can’t stand that overeacting facade.

That sums up pretty much what I think too. This is a week or so old. Some good advice to Philly and he seems to have done that at last.

Came across the latest Philly video on Bardwell last night. Yes definitely not subd. Only came across him view other people with the fines.

As you say good advice , albeit a liitle late to bringing it to the table.

Hmmmm, he sort of apologises and says he wasn’t aware he was doing wrong. ( despite having been repeatedly warned by the FAA on quite a few occasions) No one was harmed ( more luck than anything else ) Hoping when it goes back to court they can do a deal, but admits he doesn’t know what will actually happen. Hmmmmm

If you get in trouble (by breaking the rules), the following is a good example of what to do!

Remove your videos, be nice, be compliant, and heck even the community might end up funding your fine in a few hours! Though flying 100km is a little insane, wouldn’t recommend it :wink:

And there was this one, with a big fine too… Still on youtube fotunately… One of the videos that got me into FPV in the first place, just awesome flying, bravery and skills (albeit a little silly I guess!)!

Can’t actually find what the fine was… I know he did though, and he confirmed in a comment:

Wow, fantastic video and legendary skills on that video :+1::+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

I’ve watched it loads and loads of times, one of my absolute favourites. But not for a while. Was all this talk of fines for people made.me remember it. Think it was landing on the train and hitting power wires that for him the fine, but struggling to actually find it.

Again assume he complied was good etc, unlike Philly. Wez varty done so much for FPV (ELRS too) that well 100km flight (which I did watch before removed) meh…

Excellent video and to be fair, the only thing at risk was his drone ( unless it crashed, burned and set the train on fire) :wink::wink:
Re the Wez Varty flight, what sort of drone has that range ? ( apart from military drones )

Was a fixed wing plane. Showing off ELRS (and analogue video). Tbh nurk would have flown that train one on analogue 6 years ago (no digital then). So even more impressive heh