Pilot error mini2 gone

Well within its tolerances … no wind warnings everything green on the wind speed apps …

Suspect being a willow tree the thin branches moved about a lot in the wind …but regardless I got too close…

I don’t think there’s enough for a magnet to catch on a small drone.
It’s big net time I guess.

1 Like

I don’t think flyaway is a good description from DJI. Should be the don’t-have-the-drone claim.

Agreed … but god loves a trier!

You might be better off claiming on house insurance if you have it.

1 Like

You could, provided you’ve calculated the longer term cost on your premiums:

In some cases your existing Home Insurance provider may already cover your drone equipment as they tend to class it as a camera. However, making a claim against your home insurance for the loss of a drone is something that will need careful consideration. If you make a claim on your home insurance this will need to be declared at the time of renewal, or at the time of taking out a new policy with a different provider. In some cases your premiums will increase because of your previous claim(s). This increase in premiums for the next five years may total more than the cost of a replacement drone.

Tbh worst case is £200 here So no point doing house insurance

1 Like

Is there a local diving club who may be able to search underwater for you ?

Possibly … not sure how deep it is here though - that tree has grown wider since google satellite pictured it I guess …

1 Like

Here’s hoping it is inexpensive for you! Dare I suggest you buy an anemometer and check any weather app looking for gust speed? The Met Office and Windy Apps are useful. It seems your Mavic is good up to 8 m/s (18ish mph?) So if gust speeds are exceeding that you’ll be able to see it before take off. Best of luck

Thanks but I always use the weather apps and check gust speeds … It was well within tolerances.

To search underwater, I have used a 5 m fibre optic light/camera that connects to your phone, I had one when I had my boat and I lashed it to a long pole and used it for searching when items got lost overboard. They are really cheap, very useful if you want to look into cavities, under floor board and any difficult space as well.

4 Likes

thats a very good idea - prob dont need 5m …suspect water is only a couple of metres deep at worst… its also another gadget :slight_smile:

1 Like

Inspection camera arrived …. Boat hired and off we went ….

Low tide but rainy …

Put camera in the water …. I reckon I could see a good foot and no more …. After 3 m of cable had gone out (the length of my fishing pole with net) still couldn’t see the bottom ….

At this point I gave up … I had hoped it was in mon more than about 2m but obviously it’s a lot more…

Here endeth the story ….

:pensive:

1 Like

I think it may be best to leave it to its grave.

Sorry for you loss

:disappointed:

2 Likes

Just a thought and I don’t know the river but as it was a mini have you had a walk down stream as often rivers have shallow areas on bends etc but as the mini is very light weight just wonder if it might of been pushed along with the flow until it hits a shallow area , long shot but might be worth a stroll.

2 Likes

it’s a big river mate and a lot of it not able to get to from the bank … but thanks for the suggestion …

1 Like

Sorry if you feel it was a wasted exercise. Was your camera fitted with optical light.
I used mine quite a few times with success.

Yea it had a light …water was just too murky and it couldn’t see more than about a foot …also too deep where it went in … worth a shout though…