Point of interest suddenly becomes uninteresting

So this morning I was trying to get a circuit of my friend’s house and land. I flew the drone to the centre of the property, pointed the camera straight down so I knew where I was, and selected Point of Interest. So far, so good. I backed off about 300ft and angled the camera, then set the circuit going.

For some reason, the MP started out pointing at the POI I’d set, but by half way round the loop it was pointing at a location about 100 yards away, at a random field outside my friend’s property. By the time it had completed the loop it was pointing at the right place again.

Is this common? And is there anything that can be done to correct it?

Cheers

1 Like

I’ve experienced similar, if not that pronounced … but then I wasn’t so far away from the POI.

I never got to the bottom of it but, as someone that’s never found a need to recalibrate the compass … I have wondered if this is a possible consequence.

It’s on my long list of things to check/test.

This is a quick edit of my orbit, as you can see it’s off by some way. I have about 6 days left on my DJI care refresh plan and I’m wondering whether to make a claim. This is unusable.

(and yes, I did the compass dance before flying!)

Point of Interest problem

1 Like

Yikes! Have you done more than one and had the same experience every time?

I did one in Greece, of a church spire. That was from about 30 yards away and it kept the spire in frame and actually the effect was quite nice so I didn’t think much of it. But now I look at it again it’s exactly the same behaviour - the PoI drifts away to the left as the circuit continues.

Not a lot different to mine, that I linked to above.
As I recall that was about my third attempt … the previous ones showing the problem a little worse … but I think I decided the worse ones were me adding input from the RC other than just the sideways movement.

I’ll have to try again and be very careful to only give the necessary input.

Interesting.

Turns out my Care Refresh has expired, so I need to practice manual orbits!

1 Like

Ah - also double check you’re not accidentally adding in any more than the input needed.

It’s something I want to try using the Litchi app, too … and want to compare.
I’ll let you know how I get on with both.