Pointers for filming moving vehicles

I’ve been asked to film a group motorcycle ride for an elderly guys possible last ride, they’ll be riding along a 10 mile stretch of scenic road and want some overhead footage, anyone done anything like this and could share a few pointers? I’m thinking do an overhead at the start of the riders, then go on to a location put the drone over the road and film them riding past, then a friend will be further up the road or at the finish doing similar, I can see lots of problems with them moving etc…my normal drone stuff is of stationary things where I can film till I get it right…thanks

It does depend a bit on the nature of the route and the drone. The auto tracking can be very good - and has got better. M4P is significantly better than M3P but both need space around the subject.

If you’re not going to try tracking, then your approach sounds sensible.

This was M4P

M3P

2 Likes

Tell “hells grandads” not to ride too fast, so the drone can at least keep up with them. :wink::wink:

3 Likes

Personally I’d use the DJIs for more scenic shots at medium to long distance, and an FPV drone with a GoPro fitted for closer in more dynamic footage

3 Likes

Dont stand in front of 'em! :laughing:

1 Like

FPV perfect for this :wink:

2 Likes

If you can, because this a one shot pot, see if you can get a couple of other flyers to help. This way you can get 2 or 3 different perspectives at the same time, which looks great when edited together, also you can then leapfrog each other to different spots to get footage. Get the riders to ride quite slowly. To allow for positioning and following.

The main thing scout the route, plan and communicate the plan to the riders. Once they have finnished the opportunity will have past, not wanting to put any more pressurre on you.

3 Likes

Hi have filmed motorcycles at our school doing their Mod 1 training.

1 Like

I reckon these grandads might want to go a tad faster than someone in a school playground :wink::wink::wink:

1 Like

Try and do little practice beforehand, that may help, probably easier if you know the people involved as you can get set up, in position and then give them the thumbs up to go.

I was up at Groverake mine the last year, visited to film the old mine machinery and this happened to be taking place at the same time so I shot a bit of footage (its a bit ropey as it was totally unplanned).

1 Like

I just found a video i did a few years ago for a Tuning company.

There were lots of takes and riding back and forth.

3 Likes