Possible meet near Hildenborough, Kent in summer 2024

A good friend of mine, well he and his son and a few of their associates have a Cowboy style ranch near Hildenborough in Kent.

Don’t ask me why but they like to dress up in the cowboy style, and live the life as cowboys did back in the day. You’ll understand more when you see some of the pics I took there. Which is why I am involved, I have nothing to do with being a cowboy, I am not a builder nor a plumber, I just happen to have another hobby as a photographer, so I met “Johnny Concho” the main man and owner of the ranch at a car show in Greenwich which was an old Dodge and them all dressed as cowboy, we became friends and he invited me to go and see them at the ranch.
They keep and maintain horses there and used to do nationwide shows and competition but as Jonh got older and very badly ill with Parkinsons, I think the last time he was on a horse was a couple of years ago because the Parkinson got very bad.

That and the death of John’s partner meant that attendance at the ranch has taken a bad toll and now only Shane, John’s son and a few of his friends go there to tend to the horses.

There is a strong chance that I might convince Shane into let us borrow the grounds around the ranch for a half day in the summer, but I know they have some simple rules that must be respected

The main gate below needs to be kept shut at all times there is a chain that needs to be passed over the posts.

Smokers are allowed to smoke but under no circumstance their cig butts are to be thrown in the grass, the horse feed on that grass and they don’t want the horses to be poisoned by cigarette butts.

You also need to know that there’s no running water except for the horses and no electricity, so you can’t charge nothing anywhere, so batteries and power banks are a must.

There are male urinals cowboy style, basically there is a hidden section with a series of half pipes that carry the pi$$ into the woodland and there is an outdoor toilet for ladies to sit on or gents needing a no.2
b.y.o. toilet rolls, there ain’t any.

So if I convince Shane for next summer I will put a post up here with all the details, address, what 3 words etc etc. There is a lot of land in which to fly and once you raise above the trees it makes for a spectacular view.

Here is what the ranch looked like in its hey day. I have also found 3 videos I did…

Hopefully I’ll let you know if I manage to convince the owners.

cheers

1 Like

Looks like a great location.

Are they sure the horses won’t be spooked by so many drones flying around?

We’ve had 2 drones going at once, a phantom and a mavic, and the horses were not bothered. Of course if you fly a drone a meter above their head it would spook them but no one in their right mind would do that.

All they do is eat grass and run free. It’s 7 horses and loads of land, they tend to go to the far let of the ranch so far down you can’t see them, they eat the grass below the trees away from the sun, you’ll have to work hard to spot them.

1 Like

Next up… a 7inch fpv quad going at 100mph.

Or maybe @gunja99’s wing…

1 Like

Barring dying again I should be fit to drive from February so that seems like a good day out. Am I allowed to bring a long little doggie?

Anything we can do for John when we are there?

1 Like

There will be a tip jar, to help John and Shane pay for the man who shaves the horses hooves and provide winter hay. but it’s entirely at your discretion and not compulsory.

As for the horses, and they getting spooked, last summer I helped them fixing the corral fence panels and I had all my cordless drills and mitre saw and the horses were not bothered either. (yeah I do woodwork too as a hobby) see here Woodworking Projects | Flickr

As for the doggie, as long as your dog is not one to chase after the horses, and annoy them, I suppose it should be fine, those horses are used to be taken back to the corral by 3 or 4 border collies which are specifically trained to gather the horses and direct them to the corral.

sounds fantastic, look forward to more details

It’s a long way from West Mids, but it won’t be the first time I’ve driven down there for a day, so there’s a distinct possibility of a Black Country accent in the mix!

Well, if all the stars align, meaning I get the go ahead and the weather is good, this piece of land is both peaceful and beautiful, sat in a very sleepy hill with lots of lovely nature all around. It will be worth it.

1 Like

I found a drone video, I took there with John and Shane, and the 3 dogs, this is when we were inspecting the top of the roof for leaks or cracks, boy that roof was very sound, whoever did it that was a proper job.

Note that the horses are well away at the bottom of the field beyond the trees and can barely seen.

Be kind with me, this was one of my first video with any drone, with no previous experience of the Mini 2 and I was very shakey and didn’t have a very good sticks control.

1 Like