Princes street Gardens Edinburgh Scotland

Thanks @jaybee - really helpful. Assume this applies even for sub 249g drones too? Bit frustrating that there’s so much red tape!

1 Like

As far as I can see the Edinburgh drone policy - https://www.filmedinburgh.org/dyn/1630328093961/Drone-filming-2021.pdf is just that, a policy. There are no Edinburgh bye laws restricting drone use as far as I’m aware. They say “The City of Edinburgh Council (CEC) should be contacted as a landowner with regard to access to Council land or property from which to launch or land a drone” but you could argue that councils do not actually own the land.

If you are flying a sub 250 drone I’d say just go fly :+1:

Currently in Edinburgh there is a navigation warning NOT a FRZ, though whether you’d want to put your drone up while a flypast is going on is probably not advisable :joy:
Category
Navigation Warning

Summary
Yellow zones indicate regions where operation of your drone may raise security, privacy or safety concerns.

Altitude
This piece of airspace is in effect between Surface and 2000ft MSL

Navigation Warning
This is a temporary Navigation Warning, it indicates a possible hazard to aerial traffic in the region indicated.

1 Like

All drones mate.

1 Like

@Drumsagard Yeah not sure id like to see drone vs jet! Haha. Thanks for your advice - greatly appreciated.

Stupid question of the day - I guess you can’t get around the launch/landing if you hand-launch and catch the drone on landing? I mean it doesn’t actually touch the ground… :smirk:

1 Like

No, or launching it off the roof of your car ;o)

2 Likes

I think you know the rules? but when i was there just before the tattoo started, 2 foreign guys took off at princes street by the art museum part of which is fenced off and sent it a fair distance the seagulls did track it with out attacking it ie lots of noise. They also flew it at a height no one was aware it was there yes illegally, but no one was interested in them or even aware . i think if you sent it up especially mini 3 you would be fine i think the seagulls may have moved on or at least got over there territorial grounds.
AS your flying a sub 250g drone even if pulled up which i would doubt you would be fine.

2 Likes

can neither confirm nor deny that i was aware i was flying illegally !!!

1 Like