Printing images to canvas. Who? And any other tips

Hello allšŸ˜. Iā€™ve had a search before hand and could only find posts of around 3 yrs old so Iā€™m guessing things may have changed since then.

Just wondering if anyone can recommend an image printing service, either from tinternet or a high street(if there are any left :thinking:) place to use for printing to canvas.

Was originally looking at Max Spielmann, because thatā€™s only 1/4 mile away. But on seeing one of their canvas, Iā€™ve thought twice. It might be nothing to do with their print set up and all be down to the quality of the image they were given thoughšŸ¤·

Any help appreciatedšŸ‘

2 Likes

Iā€™ve used ā€˜Freeprintsā€™ in the past. Reasonably priced, and as part of the ordering process, the app will tell you if the size of the canvas is too big (loose focus/clarity) for your chosen pics. Hope this helps

2 Likes

Prices will vary wildly, it all comes down to the quality you are looking for.
For my professional work I use One Vision Imaging and Loxley Colour, two of the top professional photo labs in the UK. https://www.onevisionimaging.com/ https://www.loxleycolour.com/

There will be lots of places who beat these two labs on price, but theyā€™d never beat their quality.

1 Like

Iā€™ve used Photobox for years.

1 Like

I use https://www.tradecanvasprints.com/ Good quality at reasonable (in my view) prices. You need to register to see prices. As an example a 30" x 24" canvas is Ā£69.29 including VAT and delivery.

I have never had any complaints about the quality of their canvases.

1 Like

Thanks for all your speedy replies :+1:. Much appreciated

This seems to have narrowed it down quite considerably. Iā€™ve bookmarked all the sites and am going to have a good look this weekend.

Itā€™s frightening how many choices you have when it comes to prints, and then thereā€™s the added ā€˜what ifā€™ of the colours Iā€™ve worked with on my un calibrated monitors and the chance they are going to look like
dog sick :rofl: Or when blown up they just look blurred and ropey :scream:.

I might just get a tester done first at whatever site I decide to use, then go for a bigger project, one of the goals was to take a portrait of our Grandson, have it printed to canvas then give it the daughter for Christmas. No pressure .

Many thanks again guys for the links, youā€™ve started me on the journey nowā€¦

1 Like

I have used photobox in the past for canvas.very good results too

I used these multiple time good quality and cheapest
https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/exclusiveart

I understimated how strong their canvas prints are too ā€¦ as I found out when destroying the one with my ex-wife on it.

2 Likes

Pics or it didnā€™t happen :wink:

2 Likes

Snapmad.com never let me down.

You want pics of his ex wifeā€¦ strange lad

Right. Update on the print situation.

Tried Photobox with a ā€˜testā€™ image. Really this was to figure out if my monitors portraid decent colours. I received the Photobox effort last week. Iā€™ve gotta say, not really impressed.

At first I thought me monitors were off, I know one is slightly differing than the other, but thatā€™s my secondary which I donā€™t use for editing.

So I beamed it across to the TV (LG C9), same as the monitors colour wise, exposure looked darker but thatā€™s to do with the settings I got on the TV.

Last I had a look on my phone, Pixel 7 pro, same as the monitors again, only with a blue cast which the 7 pro is known for.

After all this I took a Png down to Max Spielmann and printed out two 6x4s out 1 glossy 1 Matt. Both in the same region as my set up.

Iā€™m only assuming something went wrong their end as the print they sent me wasnā€™t really in the ball park.

The max spielmann prints were sound, just donā€™t like there prices. Going to try a couple of the others mentioned above :+1:.

Thanks lads

1 Like

You might want to ask what colour profile their printers use and install this in your editing software of choice (to get a true colour representation on screen)

Cheers Chris for the pointer, Iā€™ve read about them before. Never even entered me head.

Iā€™ve seen where you can enter a colour profile what windows can use, but wasnā€™t aware you could with specific software. I mostly use LR.

https://www.redrivercatalog.com/profiles/lightroom/how-to-use-icc-color-printer-profiles-lightroom-canon-mac.html

I have an i1 Display Studio for calibrating my monitors, could post it to you for a shot if you like? All I ask is that you promise to send it back!!! :slight_smile:
The saturation and brightness on most monitors is well out for photo editing and printing. Will look ok on the tinterweb as most other people will have overrsutarated, eyeblinding setups as standard.
For a quick and dirty calibration check out Cambridge in Colour

Cheers Chris nice onešŸ‘

Itā€™s also worth asking the supplier if they add any enhancements etc to images sent.

Youā€™d be suprised how many big labs do, find a local supplier pay a bit more but weā€™ll worth it

Wow thanks Darrenā€‹:+1:. The answer is a defo yes, and I do go by the golden rule of ā€˜you bend it you mend itā€™. Plus Iā€™ll make sure itā€™s mailed back properly :+1:.

Iā€™ve found it a headache from the get go, even when I was working with just one monitor, to get me screen colours right, and more still are they represented correctly to the outside worldšŸ¤·. No oneā€™s complained so I guess thatā€™s a startšŸ¤£. The headache being the monitor settings, then nvidia settings and finally WindowsšŸ„“.

If I could borrow your thingy thatā€™d be great, Iā€™d obviously pay the p and p, plus Iā€™ll throw in some beer tokens for your trouble :+1:.

Iā€™ll PM you my address if thatā€™s a goer then, thanksšŸ‘