Printing images to canvas. Who? And any other tips

Thatā€™s a good point that and I know exactly what you meanšŸ‘.

You donā€™t tend to think of something like that when all you want to do is SO simple, like passing a file to someone to print, but then can turn out quite complicated if you want the right results and there being shed loads of variables.

Thanks again Chris, much appreciatedšŸ‘

1 Like

No worries, pm your address and Iā€™ll sort it out. I have a 2 monitor setup. One is calibrated for printing, one is calibrated for showing online. The difference is pretty remarkable!!! The first thing to do is reduce your screen brightness, massively, and make sure you dont have any ambient light shining on the monitor. Iā€™ll get it packed up, in the meantime, go do some googling to make it worth my while. No beer tokens required.

2 Likes

Will došŸ‘.

Really appreciate the advice, I never knew there was so much involved.

The way Iā€™m seeing it is, if I can print off an image of where Iā€™ve been and flown, and can represent it in the the style that Iā€™ve given it on screen, thatā€™s a proper end product for mešŸ˜¬. Job donešŸ‘

1 Like

It can be incredibly frustrating!!! I have an 8 ink, A3 printer that uses pigment based inks, and expensive paper. Trying to get the screen to match the final print can waste a lot of time, money and effort. Buying a colorimeter has saved so much frustration it was worth every penny!!! Iā€™ll send you some useful links

I spent years doing this, wasting a lot of time and money. Iā€™ve now got my monitors very close to what I get on print, but still find itā€™s far more cost effective getting a good professional lab to do my printing. I never ever printed my wedding work but liked to print out A3 landscape prints for myself, now I donā€™t even do that. The links I listed somewhere above are the best professional photo labs in the UK. Yes, theyā€™ll be more expensive but the quality is second to none.

2 Likes

I hardly ever print stuff anymore John. Colour stuff for familly gets given to the missus, I think she uses photobox and she seems happy with the results. Iā€™ll do the ocasional colour print on an Epson Expression using custom ICC profiles from the paper manufacturer, the results are usualy pretty good. I only ever print black and white on the big printer now, and itā€™s getting on in years. When it eventualy breaks it wonā€™t be getting replaced as I just donā€™t print enough to jusify the costs. If I ever manage to capture something stunning that just had to be put on the wall Iā€™d send it to someone to do it justice.

1 Like

Just be aware Ady, it can be a very deep rabbit hole, and I mean VERY deep.
If I were going to be selling prints Iā€™d be inclined to do what John @Drumsagard, does ie get a pro to do it for you. Very few pro photogs nowadays print their own stuff and thereā€™s a reason for that, pro printers usually do it better cos thatā€™s what they do for a living, day in day out.
I have two monitors set up, one for photo editing to print, one for photo editing to the web. They are both very different. The one for print is also the one I use for general pc stuff and work as the brightness is way down. I have very light sensitive eyes and working on the other one for too long really hurts. Once youā€™ve got calibrated youā€™ll be shocked at the difference in brightness, colours, and temp. It will look absolutely awful at first. But your eyes and brain adjust very quickly, and once they do every monitor you look at will just be wrong

You do realise everyone will now want a borrow?

It will end up doing more miles than the The GADC Drone Relay Challenge Discussion Thread drone! :rofl:

mmhhh, perhaps I should charge it out at a tenner a day? It will have paid for itself in short order :rofl:

Yep, been there and that was just trying to get colours right for YT vids :rofl:. Itā€™s akin to pulling teeth I find.

If this thingy Iā€™m borrowing sorts or makes the process easier thereā€™ll be one purchased for surešŸ‘

Iā€™m getting around to them, Iā€™m a cheapo so thought Iā€™d start with the least possible pennies spentšŸ¤£

I probably will get brassed off with doing it meself, but Iā€™m one of those people who HATES paying some other folk for what I may have been able to pull off meself. It can be psychologically damaging at timesā€¦

1 Like

ā€œColourā€ ā€¦ is always a pain, pretty much.

Something simple in Adobe Illustrator, recently ā€¦ I thought Iā€™d finished when I noticed the ā€œblacksā€ looked only dark grey.

At some point, and Iā€™ve no idea how, Iā€™d set the object to ā€œblackā€ under CMYK colours, rather than the RGB I was working in. Totally different.

No doubt the more I get into the colour thing, the more infuriated Iā€™m gonna getšŸ¤£. Iā€™ll give it a go anyhow.

Black and white is the future! :rofl:

Processing and printing in the bathroom, good old days

1 Like

Did plenty of that. Colour, too.

1 Like

Always used a lab for colour printing but did did plenty of E6 of home (Jobo kit was excellent)

1 Like

Me too, used to love printing from my Fuji Velvia slides.

1 Like

Black and White in my darkroom was fun and easy.
On a printer though? Took countless hours to get rid of colour casts and tones that we not on the original images. I miss my smelly, stinky, dark and dingy darkroom.
I have started developing film again though, I use a one shot Dev/Stop/Fix chemical now. I was sceptical it would work, but work it does.