Problems with Pano Stitching

Thanksā€¦Iā€™ll have a play :+1:

These are the filters Iā€™m using

Freewell Limited Edition - 4Kā€¦ https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JMX12YV?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

For stills I never use filters ā€¦ except the rare times a polarizer is needed for reducing reflections, or the even rarer times I want a longer exposure to force some blur in movement ā€¦ water in a waterfall, for example.

Fundamentally, you get the best colour renditions and minimum noise with a low ISO, and for sharpest images you want the fastest shutter speed (and with the M2P the smallest aperture ā€¦ but at height/distance this isnā€™t important).
For those parameters you want to let as much light in as possible. Hence why I never use ND filters for the average/majority of pics.

Videos, is a slightly different situation ā€¦ but, for the moment, for stills and panos, Iā€™ll leave my thoughts there.

Me too.

No point what so ever (edit to add maybe for running water)

1 Like

I think that the most obvious think itā€™s to do with the settings somehow.
Is the gimbal functioning ok?
I remember reading one of your previous and recent posts that when flying in the high wind you had the gimbal moved by the wind.

I hope that a reset will solve it anyway

From the Zoom, rather than the Pro, but this pano : Kuula panos from Iceland : gives you and idea what you should be getting direct from the M2 (granted, if you go to Iceland. :wink: )ā€¦ since both do the same thing in pano mode. Everything on them is the same other than the camera ā€¦ and both are excellent.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had a few similar issues with my panos on the M2P, especially if a bit breezy and over water.

Iā€™ve edited by hand in PS to get sort them out

this had a big section in the middle of the sea I had to edit

1 Like

Over an expanse of water is always an issue ā€¦ indeed, as is over a large expanse of grass/agricultural crops/tarmac, since itā€™s really got nothing to use to align the images.

But there was more than just that going wrong, somehow, in the original post.

1 Like

Sorry - should have expanded on that ā€¦

The original ones seem to be lacking any real detail/contrast ā€¦ so that is only going to further hamper accurate stitching.

1 Like

Having spent a few days with the fam, Iā€™m going to free up some time to sort the M2P out before heading to higher ground and Los Gigantes.

In terms of the calibration / gimbal reset thatā€™s been mentionedā€¦ Which am I doing?

Factory reset?
IMU calibration?
Compass calibration?
Something else?

OK - my suggestions ā€¦.

Youā€™re in a new location, many miles from your last - so (even though I probably wouldnā€™t bother, myself, unless it asked for one) many would suggest a compass re-calibration for that reason alone.

As to the panos - forgetting the stitching, initially - Iā€™d want to see more resolution/detail/contrast and better colour before I worried too much about the stitching. Without the resolution/detail/contrast, itā€™s going to struggle to stitch in any case.

IMU/Compass wonā€™t change resolution/detail/contrast.

If, under camera settings, thereā€™s a ā€œReset Allā€ type of option - start there, and try without any filters.

At least then we have a known starting point. And - many excellent panos have been taken with the M2 in full default/auto modes.

1 Like

Two entries from today. Rather than a reset, I wanted to make sure the default settings that I researched were correct. Sky stitching is still messed up but the ground work up Teide seems OK?

Conversely, down at Los Gigantes, the sea stitching looks very poor.

Still with an ND32 filter but the Base colour depth looks better. Next attempt will be to try and compare DJI with Litchi.

You flying around Mt Tiede?.
The last guy who did that got nailed for 8,000 euros, I seem to recall.

Next attempt should be without a filter.

Is that filter polarised?

1 Like

At least thereā€™s decent detail in the second one.

ND32? Why? DJI donā€™t include them in the box, do they? So probably not needed?

Try without.

You will always have stitching issues over water. Which wave will it use to align images? Will it still be there?

Get over land with some detail and give it a chance!

That was taken on the edge (outside) the National Parkā€¦ But I have an amusing dronie of the family with La Policia driving past. They went to turn around but we were packing up so they didnā€™t bother stopping.

Not quite sure why they ban drones tbh. The space is SO vastā€¦ Flying easily within drone code, you could be more than a km from people and still capture some astonishing scenery from the areas away from the summit

Yes, PL

Thatā€™s problem number 1. A polariser changes the blue colour depending on relative sun angle.

Take the filters off!

1 Like

Know what you mean exactly !.
I wanted to fly there desperately a couple of years ago when I was on my Cruise, but , left the drone aboard because of the rules at that time.
Mind you, the guy on Youtube, is a blatant prick when it comes to where he flyā€™s, so, serve him right !.
Great pictures though !:+1:

Iā€™m now almost certain youā€™re right Dave. I had issues with sun and water which led me to invest in filters. Promise I am listening to you :rofl: but I want some scientific comparisons