recommendations for sub £100 drone with camera

I want to buy my nephew a drone with a camera.

I only have a budget of £100.

Any recommendations.

Thanks.

1 Like

Ryze Tello:

And hi @Deltech , it looks as though you’re quite new here :wave:t2:

Why not nip over to the Introductions page, and say hello properly and tell us a bit about yourself. :+1:

2 Likes

yes I agree the Tello is lots of fun. I brought one for my best mates birthday and he’s had loads of fun with his :+1:t2:

1 Like

Another vote for Tello, it’s designed to be used indoors by younger people. It can do flips with a single button press which is neat and connects directly to your phone, so you don’t need a separate controller.

It does this using the phone’s WiFI … so range is rather limited, IIRC.

It’s not meant to be flown outside anyway, there’s no GPS on it. Relies on optical sensors to keep position.

You mean like the majority of FPV drones … that are flown outside. :wink:

Instead of the TELLO app I sometimes use TELLO FPV a third party app that includes RTH and a few other additional functions.

1 Like

Wow, for a drone that’s meant to be flown indoors, I’d have thought you wouldn’t need a RTH function. It’s already home :joy::joy::joy::joy:

I wouldn’t fly a Tello outside tbh, it just isn’t very powerful. But for £50 used, give it a go and let us know how you get on.

I’ve seen one flown outside. It flew. (It wasn’t at all windy.)

I am grateful for the fast recommendation and so many follow-up comments.

The drone would be used outside (I don’t think my Sister would be too happy with it indoors; or her cat lol).

Any other recommendations?

I seen this

and it allegedly has up to 30 minutes flying time, and there are options to choose 720/1080/4k camera and 1/2/3 batteries.

The 4k option with 3 batteries is only £80.95, and it has it’s own controller, whereas the Tello doesn’t have a controller.

Which begs a further question:~ for a 14-year old, is it easier in general terms to have a controller or an App on the iPhone?

Suggest doing your homework before buying anything, and anywhere, like that @Deltech

It’s another Eachine E58 clone (search here)

And that site has SCAM written all over it.

For another £20 you can have a Tello :person_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

this will be crap, will also not give a good flying experience at all.

Honestly if you are sticking to that budget the tello will give you a far superior experience over all. it can be flown outside just not on a windy day.

personally I’d look at increasing your budget if you’re definitely set on getting a drone. pre owned DJI Mini 2’s go for a reasonable price even the original mavic mini would be far better than that junk you linked to.

Honestly don’t waste your money as it probably won’t even turn up, and if it does it won’t be very good.

3 Likes

I recommend a hubsan h501s x4 has a camera and a transmitter with a screen. But it’s a fixed camera so zero stabilization but it is GPS and fly’s well.

I had one of those YEARS ago, I’m sure they’re dirt cheap by now but they’re also quite fiddly and not really a good experience for a new pilot. If nothing else the battery isn’t smart.

1 Like