Recovered DJI Mini 2 From Flat Roof After 3 Weeks (Its Still Working)

4 weeks ago I made an emergency landing on a flat roof after what I can only say was due to my own carelessness. The drone was still transmitting so I could clearly see where it was and contacted the owner of the building. They kindly agreed that I could have it back after all the necessary H&S protocols had been followed. It took a week for the roof integrity certificates to come back from the designers. 2 weeks for the work permit to be approved and about 18 days for the operator safety harness to be certified. After working as a Safety & Environment Manager for more than 20 yrs I fully understood how it could take that long. Anyway to my surprise, a new battery confirmed that the recovered drone was still working, there was a bit of water on the bottom of the battery and a faint sign of rust on the propeller screws. After a complete dry out and a dab of WD40 onto the propeller screws, I have been successfully flying her in the open countryside now for over a week and there is no sign of any issues. Mini 2 are tough little drones.

11 Likes

Glad you got it back and that it’s working well, Abby. Tough indeed.

I worry about getting spots of rain on my Mini 2, but stories like this are reassuring. I’m sure it must have rained a few times in those weeks.

2 Likes

Wow, what a great turnout that was. Well done for getting it back, and for tackling all the paperwork too. Yes, they are hardy drones, those Mini 2’s :+1:

2 Likes

I lost mine up a pine tree it was out in the pouring rain for 3 days and finally fell about 20 Mtrs and was recovered flew 20 flights after with no issues but there must of been a hairline crack in one of the gimbal straps or arms which finally gave up with gimbal error never mind DJI refresh

Yes in the 3 weeks we had, severe frost, fog and a few nights of light rain. I have to admit that after 2 weeks I was planning to buy another drone.

4 Likes

You should have called us, we’d have lifted off for you :laughing:

5 Likes

How much did they charge you to do all of that?

1 Like

I was also concerned about receiving a bill for the recovery. but there was no cost. I had explained when I first approached them, that I was in the process of making an ariel audit video of the town, so I think that they saw the public relation element as a worthwhile reason to assist with the free recovery.

Excuse my ignorance but what is an “ariel audit video of the town”.

2 Likes

If my local council had its way it would be used to see who has had a conservatory added so they can raise the council tax band of said house!

Sorry, excuse my terminology. I am just trying to make a video of the town from the air. There are many videos of places around the town but not much from above.

Who owed the roof?

1 Like

May we bring your attention to this post in Announcements :