RTF Competition 12th to 25th December - 400 feet directly below - Winners announced

see, the novice mistake…actually Mini2

My entry:

A top-down view right above the old restored tower of Coventry Cathedral. The original tower was destroyed by the germans in the Coventry Blitz and a completely new Cathedral was built over the road to replace it. Later the original tower was restored but the rest was left as ruins and made open to the public.

Taken this morning (15/12/2021) at around midday with my OG Mavic Mini.

Also added to drone scene:

6 Likes

I think we might need a Pinocchio Nose emoji added to the reaction emojis :lying_face: :rofl:

"The cheque is in the post … "

"I promise not to ____ in your ______ "

"I have always flown in strict accordance to the drone laws … "

1 Like

Grabbed this earlier this week, Mavic 2 Pro, Woodside Link road, Houghton Regis

6 Likes

Salcey Forest

Taken @ 9am 15/12/2021
With DJIM2

Salcey Forest is a fragment of a former medieval hunting forest east of the village of Hartwell, between Northampton and Newport Pagnell in Northamptonshire. It is managed by the Forestry Commission and to promote biodiversity, and is also commercially exploited for timber products. The eastern third of the forest, an area of 159.6 hectares, is a biological Site of Special Scientific Interest.

7 Likes

Going round in circles!

Just needed that bit more height to get it all in, but here is the roundabout near Skipton that takes you in the directions of Keighley, Skipton, Colne, Harrogate and my direction The Lakes

Dropped pin
https://goo.gl/maps/6n2w8hKQs6kRUPcz6

Taken with my DJI Mini2
16/12/21 12:45pm
Edited with Snapseed

7 Likes

Try the panoramic wide angle when pointing down that will do it but make sure its not a very windy day

2 Likes

Good tip, I’d not thought of that thanks :blush:

1 Like

Or just move the drone around physically and create a manual panorama in the same way as is done for drone mapping (works best somewhere with no tall structures like buildings). But both this and the wide-angle pano don’t work well if there are moving objects below!

2 Likes

Finaly got some flying in this week, here’s my contribution, 400ft over Langland Bay near Swansea,

8 Likes

I’m more intrigued why you were in Porthcawl?

I’m literally down the road in Bridgend but haven’t really flown in 2yrs for some reason or three.

A fairly boring 400’er or close enough. My workplace, Moor Lane Mills Lancaster, now an NHS admin & training centre. Built in 1825 and restored to it’s current state in the late 80s by Reebok to use as it’s global headquarters. They then jacked it all in and the NHS took over.
The last 2 nights have had some amazing orange glow sunsets but it’s been wet, dry today and no colours.
When I got chance to see the photos in detail, I thought not worth posting but it took a bit of effort to get permission to TOAL from their car park so what the heck.

5 Likes

Taken today - a view of one of my new development sites - I am building 14 bungalows down in Westward Ho!, Devon (only one of two places in the world with an exclamation mark) for my company Leading Homes.

Had to lower the drone due to a couple of low flying helicopters.

Shortly after I took this a cement mixer arrived, but no 7 axle crane yet… :joy:

7 Likes

I am so used to seeing things from height either obliquely or as a 360 pano that I was surprised how restrictive a straight down shot is. My plan to fly over the mouth of Langstone Harbour from Hayling to photograph the star shaped Fort Cumberland came to nothing as only part was visible from 119 metres :frowning:

So I whacked the Air 2 into sports mode and got 40mph in the short flight to the broken Phoenix caisson north of the Hayling Ferry. This was to be part of one of the Mulberry Harbours established in Normandy shortly after D-Day but it broke its back shortly after launch.

Thursday, December 16, MA2, Ferry Boat car park Hayling Island.

Someone has beaten me to Drone Scene :frowning:

8 Likes

We’ve got a holiday home there that we’re in the process of selling, so just a weekend visit to sort some stuff out and a few dog walks on the beach

1 Like

Taken today at about 4pm at Saul Junction Marina, on the Gloucester-Sharpness canal, with MM. Been wanting to take this image for a while but haven’t got around to it until now, so I’m glad this challenge gave me the push in the right direction.

13 Likes

Outstanding image Rob :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Thanks Rich, must say I’m pleased with it myself especially as it was a last minute decision. Love your narrow boats, looks like a set of bookshelves :slight_smile:

2 Likes

With me looking after my Covid Daughter in the daytime, the only option is a straight-up 120m from the back garden :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes