RTF Competition 9th to 22nd January - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

The competition is now closed. You have until 22:00 on Monday to vote for the winning images. The poll is HERE

Welcome to the first full RTF competition of 2022

Weather permitting, you have 14 glorious January days to illustrate the subject of WINDMILLS - entries close on January 22nd.

RTF RULES

Scope

• The requirement is to submit an image, either a photo or video, to illustrate the subject of the competition.
• The subject for the competition running from 00:01 Sunday January 9th to 23:00 Saturday January 22nd 2022 is Windmills
• The image must be captured during the time that the competition is open and obviously be taken by a drone in flight
• Editing is confined to colour and exposure adjustments and crop only (still) plus zoom and frame rate (video) There must be no removal or pasting of an object.
• Videos must be a maximum of 30 seconds and hosted on Vimeo or YouTube. Paste the url on a separate line in your post - this will allow the moderators to make a five second gif of a section of your video for entry into the poll.
• Competitors may enter as many images as they wish. Each must be in a separate post. If you do enter multiple images please try to illustrate the subject by markedly different images.
• Images must be posted with the following information as a minimum:
◦ Location
◦ Time and date
◦ Aircraft/camera used

Feel free to add any further information that you think will be of interest

• A valid. sensible and original Drone Scene entry for your image will gain two bonus votes when judging takes place - i.e. there must be no prior Drone Scene entry for the subject of your photograph. Please note the qualifier “sensible” in the previous sentence. Drone Scene entries should be of places and objects that other pilots may want to photograph, for example traffic islands or derelict barns may fall outwith that description!

Voting

• Images will be judged by the members of GADC who may vote for any number of images by means of an anonymous poll open for two days after the closing date for competition entries.
  • Voting in the poll is open to all GADC members, whether they have entered the competition or not. You may vote for all, some or none of the entries.
  • Any image that is correctly added to the Drone Scene map with details including the Drone Code compliant take-off and landing point will be awarded two bonus votes.
  • In the event of a tie a guest judge will decide the winner
  • The original media may be requested by the judges in case of a dispute.

Schedule

• The competition subject will be announced every second Saturday around 22:30. The subject will be chosen by a poll of GADC members.
• The competition will run from Sunday 00.01 to Saturday 23.00 fourteen days later.
• Voting by poll will be open for a further two days until Monday 23:00
• The winner will be announced once the vote is closed and counted

Have Fun!

Mea navis aëricumbens anguillis abundant,
1 Like

I’ll be happy with one.

1 Like

Even happier if you knew which of the 14 days it was … :slight_smile:

1 Like

Windmills are a bit thin on the ground up here in Scotland, January weather is even worse :grimacing:

I suspect that wind turbines may qualify

Come on, John, the force is strong in this Caroll.

1 Like

the source for all entries is .mw-parser-output cite.citation{font-style:inherit}.mw-parser-output .citation q{quotes:"\"""\"""'""'"}.mw-parser-output .id-lock-free a,.mw-parser-output .citation .cs1-lock-free a{background:linear-gradient(transparent,transparent),url("//upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/65/Lock-green.svg")right 0.1em center/9px no-repeat}.mw-parser-output .id-lock-limited a,.mw-parser-output .id-lock-registration a...

And we thought that looking at an OS Landranger 1:50,000 map for windmill symbols was the easy way to do it …

Google windmill and go to images, the first 2 results are power generators. I’d vote for a turbine entry the same as any other form of windmill as long as it deserves it.

Now this is why I enjoy these challanges. Living here in the West Norfolk Fens we are short of dramatic landscapes so for the last challange it really was a challange and I had to make the best of what is around me unlike some of you who live near some absolutley stunning countryside.
However this challange of windmills the shoe is on the other foot as Im surrounded by wind turbines and a few old windmills.
(Not that it will be a great picture I take lololol)

4 Likes

I’d already looked at that list, hence my statement. This word appears a lot in it - Demolished :joy:
We’ve probably got more wind turbines than windmills. The only windmill I’ve came across complete with sails is in St. Monans in Fife.

@Drumsagard …just mentions windmills not must be working have x amount of sails etc so a disused or windmill house conversion could count ! and I’m sure you could make a disused windmill come to life :grinning: fortunately I have the choice of 3 in my local area ( one disused ) :wink: only problem is windmills were built in windy areas and we’ve had our fair share of that lately…Good Luck everyone

1 Like

Lucky to have four traditional mills in easy reach, though one of them ( Lytham ) is a victim of DJI’s overzealous geofencing ( DroneScene and Drone Assist both reckon it is outside Warton’s NFZ, but DJI think it’s inside :frowning: May have to use an FPV for that one :slight_smile: ) - it’s also currently without sails as they were damaged in a storm last year :frowning:

1 Like

Remember these RTFs are meant to be fun. I may just enter a watermill to really put the wind up some people. :wink:

3 Likes

@firstadekit …Water blown along by the wind ? ( I will support your theory for a small fee :wink: )

I just wouldn’t vote for it :+1:t2: :grin:

1 Like

Their is such a thing as a water windmill

Not an entry:

1 Like

Many ‘traditional’ windmills were used to pump water - e.g. this one in Friesland ( also not an entry )

By Stefan Teeling - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, File:Molendeolifant.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

2 Likes

Yep they were used around here in the Fens and Norfolk broads untill replaced with electric/diesel pumps.

1 Like

I’d consider this :+1:

RTF Windmills Entry
Waltham Windmill
North East Lincolnshire
taken 09.01.2022 1414 hrs
DJI Mini 2

12 Likes