RTF Competition 9th to 22nd January - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

◦ Location: Windmill Hill Business Park, Swindon
◦ Time and date: 11am today, 09/01/2022
◦ Aircraft/camera used: Mini 2
◦ Drone Scene: here

This windmill has stood on the site only since the 1980s. The windmill was moved, brick by brick, from its original site in Chiseldon, where it had stood since the 1820s.

6 Likes

I couldn’t resist this opportunity, a reflection of a 200 year old windmill in a modern glass fronted office block.

You don’t get that often :wink:

10 Likes

Was you holding the drone in your hand when you took these? :thinking: :rofl:

No :wink:

1 Like

Mate I was taking the piss :rofl:

I know :wink:

It would have been safer, trees on the left and glass building on the right :wink:

It’s nicely framed :+1:

Stevington Windmill

The Windmill is located west of Bedford, south of the Stevington - Bromham Road.
Address: 2 Windmill Lane, Stevington, Bedford MK43 7QZ

Taken today 09/01/2022 @ 14:00 with DJI AIR 2s

9 Likes

Little Marton Mill, near Blackpool

Little Marton Mill is a 19th-century English tower mill in Marton, now part of Blackpool, Lancashire. It was built in 1838 by John Hays for grinding corn, and worked until 1928

Photo taken 14:25 today ( 11/1/22 ) with a DJI Mini 2

I’m unsure about posting this one - DJI Fly Safe showed it as OK to fly there, but when I came to add the location to Drone Scene it shows as being about 400m inside Blackpool Airport’s NFZ :frowning:

6 Likes

Never rely on DJI Fly, it has the most basic of basic no-fly zones.

Oddly it has the opposite issue at Lytham Mill - DJI reckons it’s inside Warton’s NFZ, while Drone Scene shows it as just outside it, so planning on using an FPV drone for that one

1 Like

If anyone complains, tell them you’d used whichever lets you fly :wink:

Thornton Marsh Mill

Marsh Mill is a beautifully restored Grade II* listed tower mill. It is one of the tallest in Europe, standing at over seventy feet and is now set in the surroundings of Marsh Mill Village and shopping centre, though it predates these by some margin, and was working up to 1922 :slight_smile:

TOAL location previously uploaded to Drone Scene Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - King Georges Playing Fields - Parks and Recreation in North West

Shot on 11/1/22 with a DJI Mini 2

8 Likes

Staining Mill

Set in the village of Staining a few miles East of Blackpool, the mill was built in 1715 and was active up to 1922 ( more info here Engineering Timelines - Staining Mill )

Location not added to Drone Scene as it is now a private residence.

Shot 11/1/22 with a DJI Mini 2

6 Likes

I was wondering quite why anyone was mad enough to vote for the windmill topic, but now I see.

1 Like

Fed up - all the way to Lytham…drone not paired with my new goggles, and nothing on me, in bag, or in car sharp enough to press the bloody button :confused:

And then it got dark

buy a box of matches :thinking: :slightly_smiling_face:

I normally keep a pointy thingy in my bag, but had taken it out to use when dismantling a brake caliper :frowning: I also could have gone into Lytham and bought a biro, but the sun was already half set, so it would have been dark by the time I was ready to fly.

Finally, some drone-friendly weather and a quick outing during my lunch hour.

Heage Windmill, as covered in my 4th Birthday Challenge entry.

• Heage, Derbyshire
  • 2022-01-12 12:38
  • DJI Mavic Mini
12 Likes