RTF Competition - December 18th to 31st - Churches - FIVE Winners Announced!

@group-challenges

You have chosen Churches as the subject for the last RTF of 2022, a competition that takes us neatly up to New Year’s Eve.

We are so used to these that it came as a welcome surprise that someone was aking what RTF meant in the thread that spawned this round of the competition.

It stands for “Reason To Fly” and was begun shortly after one of the annual Birthday Challenges which had introduced many to the joys of competition. It is a generally light-hearted fortnightly event with no prizes other than the thrill of winning; it was entitled RTF so that at least one of the originators could have the childish joy of writing “RTF Rules” when queried on any subject regarding the conduct of the competition :slight_smile:

So, without further rambling here are the regulations:

RTF RULES

Scope

The requirement is to submit an image, either a photo or video, to illustrate the subject of the competition. The subject for the competition running from 00:01 Sunday 18th December to 21:00 Saturday 31st December 2022 is Churches

The image must be captured during the time that the competition is open and obviously be taken by a drone in flight - so somewhat higher than your eyeline please!

Editing is confined to colour and exposure adjustments and crop only (still) plus zoom and frame rate (video) There must be no removal or pasting of an object.

Your video must be a maximum of 30 seconds and hosted on Vimeo or YouTube. Paste the link to your video on a separate line in your post - this will allow the moderators to make a five second gif of a section of your video for entry into the poll.

You can create as many images as you wish and submit them in separate posts in this thread. However, only one image of any one subject will be accepted for judging. If you are making multiple entries please indicate which one you wish to be your competition entry at the time of posting unless you are happy for the judges to make that decision for you. Basically, if you have a selection of images of the same subject, have the courage of your convictions and post only the one that you think is best

Images must be posted with the following information as a minimum:

• Aircraft/camera used
  • Feel free to add any further information that you think will be of interest

Drone Scene

If the Drone Scene bonus is specified for the competition then a valid. sensible and original Drone Scene entry for your image will gain two bonus votes when judging takes place. There must be no prior Drone Scene entry for the subject of your photograph.

Please note the qualifier “sensible” in the previous sentence. Drone Scene entries should be of places and objects that other pilots may want to photograph, for example traffic islands or derelict barns may fall outwith that description!*

Voting

Images will be judged by the members of GADC who may vote for any number of images by means of an anonymous poll open for two days after the closing date for competition entries.

Voting in the poll is open to all GADC members, whether they have entered the competition or not.

You may vote for all, some or none of the entries.

If the Drone Scene bonus is specified for this competition and your image is correctly added to the Drone Scene map it will be awarded two bonus votes. Correctly means with a location including a nearby town or similar likely to be known by UK competitors, a useful description of the subject, drone code compliant TOAL point and any further useful information

In the event of a tie a guest judge may decide the winner

The original media may be requested by the judges in case of a dispute.

Schedule

The competition subject will be announced every second Saturday around 22:30. The subject will be chosen by a poll of GADC members selecting from three picked at random from the subject list that has been suggested by those members. Additions to the list may be made at any time.

The competition will run from Sunday 00.01 to Saturday 21.00 fourteen days later. Voting by poll will be open for a further two days until Monday 22:00

The winner, second and third placed competitors will be announced shortly after the vote is closed and counted

Have Fun! Be Safe!

All flights are the sole responsibility of the individual conducting them. Each competitor must abide by the drone code and adhere to the limitations and restrictions imposed upon them by aviation law, the aircraft being used and the qualifications they hold. Landowners wishes and permissions must be respected and adhered to. If a flight is undertaken in a restricted zone proof of permission having been granted is required.

:hugs: Nanakorobi yaoki. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

St Mary’s Church, Purton, Wiltshire

• Time and date: Tuesday, 20 December 2022, 1.20 pm
  • Aircraft: Mini 3 Pro
  • Drone Scene: here

A stunning 12th century church just outside Purton, near Swindon. It was restored in 1872, which was when they found a skeleton buried inside the north wall of the church :scream:

It is one of only three churches in England to have both a western tower and a central spire. It has been designated a Grade I listed building by English Heritage.

The surviving parish registers date from 1558 for marriages and burials, 1564 for baptisms; there are gaps between 1641 and 1647 which coincide more or less with the disruptions of the English Civil War.

10 Likes

Entry #1
Douai abbey
Mavic air 2
@13.54
Edit crop & Snapseed
Has to be the strangest abbey I have ever seen !

11 Likes

Douai abbey, Added to drone scene but forgot to add it on entry, I know I won’t claim bonus points for this, I’m just attaching for reference.

1 Like

St. Sampsons Cricklade, Wiltshire

• Time and date: Wednesday, 21 December 2022, 4.00 pm
  • Aircraft: Mini 3 Pro
  • Drone Scene: here

There has been a church on this site since at least AD 890 - not surprising when you consider the age of Cricklade itself, which was a thriving town in the late Saxon era.

One of the finest parish churches in Wiltshire, St Sampson’s is a superb medieval building with a striking Perpendicular tower that rises high over this ancient Saxon town.

The dedication to St Sampson is unusual; it is one of only five churches in England dedicated to Sampson, who was a 6th-century Welshman, an abbot of Caldey, and the first Bishop of Dol in Brittany.

At the time of the Domesday Book, the church was held by Westminster Abbey in London. It seems that the Abbey rebuilt the Saxon church around 1080. Remnants of this 11th-century construction can be seen in the lower section of the west wall of the nave.

6 Likes

Entry #2
@14.39
Mavic air 2
Edited in Snapseed
St Mathews church midgham, west Berkshire

6 Likes

Entry #3
Winchester cathedral
@14.52
Mavic air 2
Edit bit of Snapseed & I photos on Mac

6 Likes

This is my entry #1
Lichfield Cathedral, Staffordshire.
Shot with DJI mini 3 Pro 20/12/20 - 1820hrs.
ISO 2200, f/1.7
Exposure time 1/2 Sec

Lichfield has had a troubled past having been ravaged by the Vikings and laid under siege during the English Civil War. After the invasion of 1066 the Normans built a new cathedral (of which only few traces remain), and a century or so later that was rebuilt in the Gothic style, and completed by c. 1340.

During the 17th century the wall built around the Cathedral and the Close made it an ideal garrison, first for the Royalists, then for the Roundheads, then again for the Royalists and finally the Roundheads until the Restoration. During these sieges cannonballs destroyed both the roof and the central spire. The Restoration (1660) found the cathedral and Close in a state of ruination, because the Roundheads had destroyed statues, monuments, documents, carvings as well as its roof. Lichfield’s cathedral suffered more than any other cathedral at the hands of the devastators.

Rapidly repaired in a mere nine years its interior was rearranged at the end of the eighteenth century, and then ‘restored’ in the 19th century by Sir George Gilbert Scott, and that is the Cathedral we have today. The only English medieval cathedral to have three spires – known locally as the ‘Ladies of the Vale’ – it is one of the most elegant in the country.

Lichfield puts on a light show every year at Christmas time, when the Cathedral is lit up with a festive animation to the delight of the many visitors it receives.

Merry Xmas everybody :partying_face::santa:

7 Likes

Date : 21st December 2022
Time : 15:08
Drone / Camera : DJI Mini 3 Pro

Dronescene : Added here Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - Holy Trinity Church - Eccleshall - Places of Worship in West Midlands

Holy Trinity Church - Eccleshall.

The oldest parts of the church, the foundations and pillars, date from around 1189, when Hugh Nonant was bishop of Lichfield. It is thought that the building of this time replaced a small Norman church.

The building dates mostly from the 13th century, and there was restoration in the 19th century. The church contains the tombs of four Bishops of Lichfield.

8 Likes

Great photo, we were at the xmas market yesterday too.

1 Like

Thankyou :blush:

Lovely shot Chris :clap: :clap:
I love the long shadows, gives it depth

Location. Gloucester Cathedral
Date flown. 22/12/2022
Time. 8pm
Drone used. Mavric Mini 2

added to dronescene. Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - Gloucester Cathedral - Places of Worship in South West

info. https://gloucestercathedral.org.uk/

Did quick flight over cathedral to capture the view of light play on structure,
DJI app did flash up warning i needed to agree too before flying but area is outside of Gloucester Airport area etc and just a quick agreement needed on screen to allow me to fly there
parking locally also easy, and very few people around in evening
good flight , well worth the effort

4 Likes

Taken 24 Dec 2022 11.05 hrs
Camera: DJI mini 3 Pro
Edited: Photoshop
ISO -100, f/1.7
Ex time: 1/2500
Ex bias: -1.3 step

The Parish Church of St. Andrews was restored by George Gilbert Scott in the 1860s and by William Butterfield in the 1870s. Butterfield’s restoration revealed some of the original Norman work. The bell tower dates from the early 13th Century and holds two bells; “Ave Maria” dating from 1402 and “Ann Shaw” dating from 1962. A third bell, “Katerina”, dating from 1500, can be found cracked upon the floor. The church also houses a silver communion paten dating from the early 15th Century. The Parish registers, kept by Staffordshire Record Office, date from 1581.

The west tower is early C13 and the arcades and chancel arch only slightly later. Chancel arcades appear to date from the erection of aisles in 1825, although it has been argued that the piers are C13 but altered in the C19. The chancel was re-faced and re-roofed in the 1840s. The original nave north aisle was taken down in 1685, but the arcade was preserved. A new aisle had been built in 1825 but it was replaced in 1860 by George Gilbert Scott (1811-78). The south aisle was rebuilt and widened in 1872 by William Butterfield (1829-99), who also heightened the nave by adding a clerestorey, with trademark polychrome interior decoration, adding a north vestry and rebuilding the porch using old masonry.

TOAL was in the Church Car Park just off the A51 on the Weston Road heading to Stafford Town.

6 Likes

Entry 1
Church of St Bartholomew, Armley, Leeds.
24/12/2022 - 09:19.
DJI Mini 3 Pro.
ISO 100.
Shutter 1/640.
-0.7ev, no filters.

5 Likes

Entry #4
Winchester college chapel
Mavic air 2
@14.46
Edit i wand on I phone 12

4 Likes

While all you guys are going all out for some magnificent buildings, I’ve decided to keep it small and simple, a bit like me to be honest. For my first entry I give you Westown Chapel.
Taken on 24th December about half one on my mini2.
A ruined Late Mediaeval church situated in the Carse of Gowrie, also known as the Church of the Blessed Virgin of Inchmartin. The chapel used to be covered by ivy, but a project by Perth and Kinross Heritage Trust in 2007 has seen it conserved. It is now a Scheduled Ancient Monument. The burial-ground also contains a 17th-century graveslab but some locals think the site goes back further. On a nice clear day you can turn around 90 degrees left and get a stunning view over towards Dundee and The Silvery Tay

8 Likes

Entry 2
Kirkstall Abbey, Leeds.
24/12/2022 - 10:32.
DJI Mini 3 Pro.
ISO 100.
Shutter 1/1000.
-1.3ev, no filters.

5 Likes

This is Manchester Cathedral, photographed earlier this afternoon using my DJI Mini 2. This is easily the best day of the year to fly a drone in central Manchester without being bothered!

Added to Drone Scene:

6 Likes

St Mary The Virgin, Hanbury, Bromsgrove.

Time and date: 26th December 08:39
Aircraft: Mini 3 Pro

Situated on top of a hill with stunning views of the surrounding countryside. Its earliest parts date from about 1210 and it is a Grade I listed building. The church was the family church for the Vernon family of nearby Hanbury Hall.

I thought this was already on DroneScene, but it’s not!! So here you go:

8 Likes