RTF Competition February 18th to 2nd March 2024 - Black and White

A good crop of voters has meant that the Votalyzer™ has been running almost flat out over the last seven days in order to correlate and tally the votes before presenting the result to you, the eager members who are preparing to compete.

With our move to new premises and a relaxation of some of the more onerous security protocols we are delighted to bring you a picture of the Votalyzer™ in action:

And the subject, voted for by you from a selection of your suggestions is:

And following is a load of text that no one reads, rather like a long-winded Microsoft EULA

RTF RULES
Scope

The requirement is to submit a still image created using a drone to illustrate the subject of the competition. This round will run from 00:01 Sunday 18th to 23:00 Saturday, March 2nd 2024 and the subject is Black and White
The image must be captured during the time that the competition is open. It is a Reason To Fly competition so please show that the image is created by a flying camera!

Editing is confined to colour and exposure adjustments and crop only. There must be no removal or pasting of an object.

Please post only one image, the image you wish to be judged, in this thread.

Images must be posted with the following information as a minimum:

In Capitals as the first line of your post:

THIS IS MY ENTRY

If this is not done at the time of posting the picture will be ignored. Should it be absolutely necessary to change your picture then delete the previous picture and add “This is my entry” - as above - as the first line of your new post. If in any doubt contact the Challenges Committee
(@Challenges_Committee)

Further Information is required

• Aircraft/camera used
  • Feel free to add any further information that you think will be of interest

Voting

Images will be judged by the members of GADC who may vote for any number of images by means of an anonymous poll open for two days after the closing date for competition entries.

Voting in the poll is open to all GADC members, whether they have entered the competition or not.

You may vote for one, all, some or none of the entries.

The original media may be requested by the judges in case of a dispute.

Schedule

The competition subject will be announced every second Saturday around 22:30. The subject will be chosen by a poll of GADC members selecting from three that have been picked at random from the subject list. You may make additions to the list at any time.

The competition will run from Sunday 00.01 to Saturday 23.00 fourteen days later. Voting by poll will be open for a further two days until Monday 22:00

The winner, second and third-placed competitors will be announced shortly after the vote is closed

Have Fun! Be Safe!

All flights are the sole responsibility of the individual conducting them. Each competitor must abide by the drone code and adhere to the limitations and restrictions imposed upon them by aviation law, the aircraft being used and the qualifications they hold. Landowners’ wishes and permissions must be respected. If a flight is undertaken in a restricted zone proof of permission having been granted is required.

E&OE

@group-challenges

7 Likes

Rain and wind stopping play ?

THIS IS MY ENTRY
Davenport Rd Evangelical Church here in Derby
Taken today with Mini 3 Pro around 3pm
Edited on my iPad

7 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Taken on the 20th Feb at 11:36 am.
These are the Cascades at Virgina Water lake
DJI mini 2, SS: 1/160s, ISO: 100, EV: 0.667, Height : ~ 15m from take off.

I took this using exposure bracketing, thinking I’d need it for the dynamic range but it’s also helped produce a sense of motion in the water.

The Cascades are around 10m high, we’d just had the storms and heavy rain on the Wednesday and Thursday before hand and you could hear these from the carpark some 200 yards away.

5 Likes

I love Virginia waters have not been there in a while, a well deserved rest if you’ve walked the whole of the lake :sleeping::grin:

Couldn’t agree more, we’re going to have to go back.

1 Like

This is my emtry

Mini2
27/02/2024 11:56
Near Eastoke Point, Hayling Island

6 Likes

This is my entry
Air 2
25/2/24, 14:17
Kinclaven

3 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY
Mavic 3 classic
26,02,24 @ 22,30 ish
Reading Town From Hills Meadow Caversham
Manual Wide Pano 3 x 5 AEB HDR Merge, not to be confused with a picture I have in the daily photo thread as this one is different.

9 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Fleetwood prom, 27/02/24, 19:34, DJI Mini2 - 1s exposure from moving drone

6 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

River Clyde, Glasgow - Mini 3 Pro - 24/02/2024 07:27
Glasgow Tower is a 127 metres free-standing landmark observation tower located on the south bank of the River Clyde in Glasgow, Scotland, and is part of the Glasgow Science Centre complex.

9 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Sat 24th Feb 0900. DJI mini SE. 70m above Olivers Mount, Scarborough looking south towards Fliey. Cold, frosty and misty morning.

6 Likes

Nice. Photographed a few cycle races on to of the Mount.

1 Like

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Alexandra Dock Grimsby. taken 1733 23rd Feb 2024 DJI Mini 4 pro. Getting ready for new car registrations
Grimsby handles the import of approximately 500,000 vehicles each year, making it a crucial hub for bringing cars into the country

3 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Tudor House, Wokingham
Taken 20:40 2nd March 2024 with Mini 4Pro

2 Likes

I know that place :smiley:

I’d almost completely failed to notice it in 30 years of living here until this week!

1 Like

Time for you to vote for your favourites - select all, none, some or one of the pictures below to determine the three top pictures. But do so before 22:00 on Monday 4th of March as that’s when the poll closes!

The more perspicacious amongst you may realise that there is one more picture for judging than appears in the submitted images. That’s because one entrant withdrew his picture - we believe that he thought “Black and White” couldn’t be interpreted by an almost monochrome colour picture. As our art department had already prepared most of the pictures and laid out the poll ready for press we were too lazy to take the image out. So judge for yourself if black and white works just as well in colour!

@group-challenges

So here are the results of the RTF Black and White round. Fortuitously it came at the end of the financial year as using only black and white pixels (apart from a couple of miscreants images) allowed us to save on our budget to get us through the next competition - Landscapes without Buildings - in full, glorious RGB!

And who amongst our contestants has risen to the heights of the top three places?

Our two third-place winners (!) are Jim - @Kings - with his black and white in colour, entered on his behalf by ChallCom :slight_smile: and Richard - @Kirky of Reading Town, presented as a stitched and HDR’ed pano. Well done both of you …

In second place with a nicely lit night shot of a rather fine Tudor House in Wokingham is Guy - @speedracer66

but just ahead of Guy to claim a well-deserved first place is John - @Drumsagard with a sharp and contrasty image of his local river, Glasgow’s Clyde:

Thank you all who entered, even @macspite , and we hope to see you all - and more - entering Landscapes without Buildings, the next round of RTF

@group-challenges

13 Likes

Well done @Drumsagard - a worthy winner!

2 Likes