RTF Competition - January 29th to February 11th 2023 - River(s) - Winners Announced

We have a similair looking scene in Tamworth, except there’s usually a trolley or two in the river.

Don’t forget to specify which image is your entry come Sunday as otherwise your last entry is assumed and that may fall foul of the not obviously taken by a drone in flight caveat. :slight_smile:

I am sure this would be the same, except it’s in the middle of nowhere thankfully.

Good shout, I’d already forgotten about that :man_facepalming:

The Ironbridge over the River Severn
Taken 09-02-23 at 1350 hrs with mini 3 Pro.
ISO100
Exposure bias -3 step
Shutter speed 1/4000
5 x AEB bracketed and merged in Adobe Lightroom Classic

In 1776 Parliament authorised the building of the Bridge, and shares were issued to raise the money. Wilkinson later transferred his shares to Darby who, as the major shareholder, planned to build the bridge of iron. Work began in November 1777. Pritchard died that same year, never to see the Iron Bridge. His brother received nearly £40 from Darby for his late brothers drawings and models. Darby’s Bridge was to be the first in the world to use cast iron structurally and engineers came from all over the world to marvel at ‘that most incomparable piece of architecture’ made of approximately 384 tonnes of iron. It is not known for sure but the iron members for the Bridge are generally thought to have been cast at Darby’s furnace (1.6 miles away from the Bridge’s location). The bridge was completed in 1781 at a final cost of £6,000; but if Abraham Darby had wanted to build such a bridge today, he would have to raise in the region of £1.5 million!

Oh and spot the OP in the photo! :grin:

4 Likes

Lovely shot, Col :+1:

Nice try Chris but that’s not me. Could be the start of a new comp. :rofl::rofl: And before anyone says it, I’m not in the pram. :sweat_smile:

Behind one of the bushes ?

Nice bridge.

And taken far more than 3 and a bit years! Not to mention everyone who would claim it is an eyesore and ruins the scenery etc!

I’ve always loved this bridge and the fact that it was the first of its kind in the world. :hugs:

My entry, which compared to some of the specular efforts here is a bit of a whimper, but I always like to make the effort.

By luck I took these last weekend as I was simply in the area. It wasn’t my intended subject, as I have a chest infection I won’t be going out this weekend, but that’s the way the cookie crumbles.

River Arrow, Studley, Stratford on Avon, Warwickshire
04/02/2023 - 09:53
DJI Mini 3 Pro.

4 Likes

At least it is a picture of a river though, Ade. Not a bridge with a river underneath :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ouch.

Nasty them. Hope you have a swift recovery Ade.

Competition entry

MA2, 10/02/2023, Dolphin Quay, Emswortn, West Sussex/Hampshire (the river forms the border)

This “shows” most of the six-mile course of the River Ems which is either obscured by trees or constrained underground in culverts. It enters the sea at Emsworth but the town is not named after the river, rather the Bourne took its name from the town.

And where exactly does the river enter the sea?

By the side of the Lord Raglan’s beer garden, via the final culvert, hidden at all but low tide.

Not a competition entry
2 Likes

Well done. I actually like the purple.

I did take one on the first day - but as the entrants were submitted, decided that mine was a bit pathetic :joy: :joy:

First chance today to get out to shoot rivers, but it was grey and drizzly, so for me that means mono photography. This is the meandering River Forth snaking it’s way towards Stirling Castle and The Wallace Monument (in the distance) from the old Royal Naval Armament Depot at Bandeath.
Mavic 3 Classic - 10/02/2023 @ 13:40

6 Likes

Entry

MV Sea Crusier 2 - River Humber arriving Grimsby Docks.

Taken 0750 11th Feb 2023 DJI Mini 3 Pro. image is a frame grab from video taken

Sea Crusier 2 Arriving Grimsby Docks from Zebrugge Belgium.with another shipment of cars.

Toyofuji Shipping Co is a roll-on/roll-off shipping company based in Nagoya Japan and owned by Toyota Group The ship has a capacity of 802 cars and is a regular visitor to Grimsby

6 Likes

The River Nene

Time and date: 09:55 on 11/02/2023
Aircraft/camera used : Dji Mini3 Pro

The navigable River Nene extends from the junction with the Northampton Arm of the Grand Union Canal to the mouth of the river on the Wash at Crab’s Hole.

88 miles (142km) of the River Nene that is navigable.

6 Likes

Loving that reflection :star_struck:

1 Like