RTF Competition October 17th to 30th - LIGHTS - Winners announced!

Well, the fair has reached Belper this evening, so it had to be done.

It’s not currently raining, although it’s a little breezy for the Mini. I was also a little concerned that there might be a bunch of extra interference, so I kept my distance and settled for a panorama.

Seems my gut was right. As I was bringing it in, it decided to go into landing mode about 15m up and in completely open space. The little button in Fly that says’ Tap to cancel landing’ wasn’t doing the trick so I just had to watch it plop down into the grass a couple of metres away. I could have gone and caught it, but it was very dark and I thought I’d keep my finger ends. :grin:

This was actually a lucky escape. I’d done a test flight a little way off, just to check the wind stability before getting closer. I didn’t bother shutting it down when I walked 2 minutes to my chosen photography site to save the faff of waiting for the controller to pair again. Looking at the logs it seems it didn’t update the home point the second time I took off, so I’m lucky it just decided to land and not RTH, or it would have undoubtedly come to grief in some trees. :scream: It seems every flight is still a learning experience.

Sure enough, there are a few ‘weak signal’ warnings and it was only 60m up and 5m away at maximum.

If only I’d known, back in April when I was replacing my first Mini, that the hobby was going to stick. I can see the value of the extra £100 now.

1 Like