RTF Competition October 1st to 14th - Ugly Buildings - Winners Announced

@group-challenges

Hello and welcome to the second RTF of the 2023-24 season.

It’s a fairly simple task - post the best picture you have taken of the subject whilst the contest is open. Your image will be judged by other members of the GADC community. No nasty Birthday Challenge judges lurking in the shadows and easy-to-follow rules (posted below)

Your Reason To Fly, chosen by vote of the members from the three suggestions picked at random is:

So, does a great-looking image of an ugly building kind of cancel itself out? Are bad images of reasonable buildings classed as ugly? The next two weeks should be interesting!

RTF RULES
Scope

The requirement is to submit a still image created using a drone to illustrate the subject of the competition. This round will run from 00:01 Sunday 1st October to 23:00 Saturday, October 14th 2023 and the subject is Ugly Buildings

The image must be captured during the time that the competition is open. It is a Reason To Fly competition so please show that the image is created by a flying camera!

Editing is confined to colour and exposure adjustments and crop only. There must be no removal or pasting of an object.

Please post only one image, the image you wish to be judged, in this thread.

Images must be posted with the following information as a minimum:

In Capitals as the first line of your post:

THIS IS MY ENTRY

If this is not done at the time of posting the picture will be ignored. Should it be absolutely necessary to change your picture then delete the previous picture and add “This is my entry” - as above - as the first line of your new post. If in any doubt contact the Challenges Committee
(@Challenges_Committee)

Further Information is required

• Aircraft/camera used
  • Feel free to add any further information that you think will be of interest

Voting

Images will be judged by the members of GADC who may vote for any number of images by means of an anonymous poll open for two days after the closing date for competition entries.

Voting in the poll is open to all GADC members, whether they have entered the competition or not.

You may vote for one, all, some or none of the entries.

The original media may be requested by the judges in case of a dispute.

Schedule

The competition subject will be announced every second Saturday around 22:30. The subject will be chosen by a poll of GADC members selecting from three that have been picked at random from the subject list. You may make additions to the list at any time.

The competition will run from Sunday 00.01 to Saturday 23.00 fourteen days later. Voting by poll will be open for a further two days until Monday 22:00

The winner, second and third-placed competitors will be announced shortly after the vote is closed

Have Fun! Be Safe!

All flights are the sole responsibility of the individual conducting them. Each competitor must abide by the drone code and adhere to the limitations and restrictions imposed upon them by aviation law, the aircraft being used and the qualifications they hold. Landowners’ wishes and permissions must be respected. If a flight is undertaken in a restricted zone proof of permission having been granted is required.

E&OE
2 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

May as well kick this one off then.

Went through 2 locations before this and 3 edits. Googled ugly buildings as you do and came up with quite a few, but all depends on your own take on an ‘ugly’ building. My take on an ugly building might be the next mans equivalent of modern art.

Like I say, I had 2 locations before this one. This one I drive past every morning turning into work, and one morning last week when I turned the corner, I spotted it and thought ’ Fook me their UGLY’ .Grim also springs to mind…There followed a eureka moment and I was back up there Sunday morning taking snaps :smiley:

Tbh I’ve done them a favour, They actually look better in monochrome than in full colour ( @PingSpike is a witness, he’ll know which ones these are), so I’ve gone and done them oit of ugliness :rofl:

The thing is, like a lot of buildings made fancy nowadays, they look great when first thrown up, but you know there’s not gonna be any upkeep on the looks, because it isn’t in the budget, so they always end up looking like a crock of shite. Shame really :man_shrugging:

Anyways…

Drone; DJI AIR 2S
TIME ; 08;25
DATE; 08/10/23
LOCATION; WIGAN

5 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Courts complex and old Police HQ, Blackpool
A depressing looking set of buildings, even ignoring their purpose - particularly striking juxtaposition with the sea front attractions just a stone’s throw away

Shot 12/10/23 11:14 DJI Mini 2, colour adjusted in Corel Paintshop

5 Likes

Does the ugly building have to be located in the UK? :thinking:

I don’t think it has too, I’ve seen entries for the comp when people are out of the country on a couple of occasions, so I’d say yr all good as far as I’m aware….

No mention of UK-only in the rules so you are good to go :slight_smile:

THIS IS MY ENTRY

A hideous half abandoned factory complex hidden inside a stunning valley and landscape, near Orava, in northern Slovakia. There is alot of heavy industry littered through Slovakia, which is such a jolt amongst some of the most stunning scenery.

Date: 6 October 2023
Time: 09:27
Drone: DJI mini 3 pro
Place: Oravský Podzámok, Slovakia, northern Slovakia
Mood: appalled

4 Likes

Seems all plod stations were designed like that in the 60’s. Skems is like that, although it’s just been tarted up, but also we’ve a library in the same style aswell…arnt we lucky? :joy:

As Kirky said, I think it’s a goer as long it’s within the dates of the comp👍

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Central Scarborough Pavillion House, an awful 70s concrete mess that replaced a Victorian hotel.

Apologies to those who like a bit more altitude but its blowing a force 7 and the carpark was the only shelter so i think i went up 4m. Also it had so many masts on top that my wifi link was too unstable!

Dji mini se
No image peocessing nor cropping
Taken 14th Oct at 1pm

2 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Date : 14 Oct 2023
Time : 11:14:06
Drone : DJI Mini 4 pro

3 Likes

David Murray John Tower, Swindon

• Date: 14/10/2023, 5 pm
  • Drone: DJI Mini 3 Pro

David Murray John Tower, better known as the Brunel Tower in honour of the founder of the Swindon works, Swindon’s tallest building is infact named after the Swindon politician whose energy contributed to the influx of small industry to Swindon after WWII.

At 83m high, the DMJ dominates the Swindon skyline (alongside Old Town’s Christchurch) and was the last action of David Murray John, Clerk of Swindon Borough Council from 1938-1974. A man often regarded as ‘Mr Swindon’, and someone who always envisaged and campaigned for a towering landmark to signify the centre point for the town.

Signing the final contract for its construction in March 1974 turned out, in fact, to be Murray John’s last official duty in office prior to his retirement after 36 years as the pioneeering figure in Swindon’s post-war regeneration. Unfortunately, he never lived long enough to see its completion and opening in 1976.

3 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

• Shire Hall, Shinfield Park, Reading
  • 17:15 14 October 2023
  • DJI Mini 4 Pro
  • Currently the offices of Wood Group, which acquired AMEC Foster Wheeler in 2017. Foster Wheeler took over the building from the original occupants Berkshire County Council in 2000. The Council commissioned the hideous Brutalist building - presumably without looking at the designs - in the 1970s and moved in during 1981. 17 years was as much as they could stomach.

2 Likes

Nice one !
I was gonna do coley flats or the hexagon.

I did think about the Hexagon… but this was on the way to Sheffield Bottom where I wanted to shoot something else…

1 Like

Yeah I know it well, I’m only the other side of town.

@group-challenges

The competition has now closed for entries and here are the resulting images of Ugly Buildings. Just a handful of entries this time, it seems that rather more people voted for the subject than produced pictures of it!

So voting seems to take preference over photography - you can indulge yourselves by voting for one, all, some or none of the images - you have until 22:00 on Monday 16th October to complete the task!

1 Like

Sorry for the late “prize giving”. Health and pressure of work are causing a wee bit of disruption to the normal schedule. But here we are with a few minutes before the next zoom meeting :slight_smile:

There wasn’t a large number of entries but each was a well composed image of an ugly building. The voting public chose two second-place winners, both on 38%, both nice pictures of nasty buildings. So congratulations to joint second-place winners @hharron - Hamish for Central Scarborough Pavillion House on a very windy sunlit day:

and @clinkadink - Chris - for his shot of David Murray John Tower (any building named after a politician has to be ugly …) We’re tempted to say that finding and photographing ugly buildings in Swindon is akin to shooting fish in a barrel …

But, beating them into first place with a score of 42% was @amberina who is, we recall, a first-time
first-place winner. Congratulations to you, Amanda and thank you for showing us the mess that industry makes of landscapes, whether in the UK or, as in this case, in Slovakia.

And, to all who entered, thank you and well done!

4 Likes

Congrats to the winners​:+1:. Some darn ugly buildings there, turns out my ugly Wigan apartments were too pretty for the voting public, even in monochrome :rofl:

2 Likes

Was this you Ady @Leylo1971 ? :fire_engine: :firefighter:t2: