RTF Competition September 17 to 30 - Victorian Engineering - Winners Announced

@group-challenges

Welcome to the first RTF (Reason To Fly) Competition of the 2023-24 season.

For those new to this it’s fairly simple - post the best picture you have taken of the subject whilst the contest is open. Your image will be judged by other members of the GADC community. It is for fun and to see how you fare against others; the rules (below) are fairly easy to follow

The subject chosen by vote of the members from the three suggestions picked at random is:

If we were competing this is the subject we would have chosen! There are some magnificent examples to be found, some in outstanding landscapes. Fred will tell you!

engineering

ĕn″jə-nîr′ĭng

noun

1. The application of scientific and mathematical principles to practical ends such as the design, manufacture, and operation of efficient and economical structures, machines, processes, and systems.
  2. The profession of or the work performed by an engineer.

Victorian

adjective

uk /vɪkˈtɔː.ri.ən/ us /vɪkˈtɔːr.i.ən/

from or relating to the period of British history during the rule of Queen Victoria (1837-1901)

All competitons have rules. We hope ours aren’t too difficult. Put your best shot in the thread and wait for the judging.

We would appreciate you reading the fine print though - and abiding by it, please :slight_smile:

RTF RULES
Scope

The requirement is to submit a still image created using a drone to illustrate the subject of the competition. This round will run from 00:01 Sunday 17th September to 23:00 Saturday September 30th 2023 and the subject is Victorian Engineering

The image must be captured during the time that the competition is open. It is a Reason To Fly competition so please show that the image is created by a flying camera!

Editing is confined to colour and exposure adjustments and crop only. There must be no removal or pasting of an object.

Please post only one image, the image you wish to be judged, in this thread.

Images must be posted with the following information as a minimum:

In Capitals as the first line of your post:

THIS IS MY ENTRY

If this is not done at the time of posting the picture will be ignored. Should it be absolutely necessary to change your picture then delete the previous picture and add “This is my entry” - as above - as the first line of your new post. If in any doubt contact the Challenges Committee
(@Challenges_Committee)

Further Information is required

• Aircraft/camera used
  • Feel free to add any further information that you think will be of interest

Voting

Images will be judged by the members of GADC who may vote for any number of images by means of an anonymous poll open for two days after the closing date for competition entries.

Voting in the poll is open to all GADC members, whether they have entered the competition or not.

You may vote for one, all, some or none of the entries.

The original media may be requested by the judges in case of a dispute.

Schedule

The competition subject will be announced every second Saturday around 22:30. The subject will be chosen by a poll of GADC members selecting from three that have been picked at random from the subject list. You may make additions to the list at any time.

The competition will run from Sunday 00.01 to Saturday 23.00 fourteen days later. Voting by poll will be open for a further two days until Monday 22:00

The winner, second and third-placed competitors will be announced shortly after the vote is closed if the judges have stayed sober awake long enough

Have Fun! Be Safe!

All flights are the sole responsibility of the individual conducting them. Each competitor must abide by the drone code and adhere to the limitations and restrictions imposed upon them by aviation law, the aircraft being used and the qualifications they hold. Landowners’ wishes and permissions must be respected. If a flight is undertaken in a restricted zone proof of permission having been granted is required.

E&OE

Ok, when the gales and rain stop…

What’s up with you? It’s perfect flying weather!

hurricane

Love the photo … Fred was an absolute legend

1 Like

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Grimsby Dock Tower Grimsby Nth East Lincs taken 1853 23rd Sept. 2023 DJI Mini3 Pro
Completed 1852 and opened by Queen Victoria with Prince Albert in Oct 1854

2 Likes

Thanks John.

The mention of hydraulic accumulators led us to thinking about Tower Bridge and the mechanism for rating the bascules so we clicked on the link to William Armstrong in the Wiki article you linked to.

And yes, there is a connection. Then we started reading about the man. A very interesting person …

This is my entry.
Sheringham boating lake. Norfolk.
22/09/23
12:24pm
Dji Mini 3 Pro.

Not quite what I was anticipating for Victorian engineering, but with a consistent depth of 38cms and quite a following by rc boat enthusiasts this Victorian masterpiece is quite striking from the air!

3 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Four for the price of one :slight_smile:

Nearest is Blackpool North Pier, which opened in 1863. Next is Central Pier which opened in 1868, and in the distance is South Pier, which was originally named Victoria Pier and opened in 1893.

The Victorians really liked their piers !

And of course we have the Tower, which was constructed from 1891 to 1894

Photographed today ( 29/09/23 ) at 17:35 using a DJI Air 2

2 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Saltburn by the Sea Cliff Lift

Construction finished in 1884

Taken on the 29th September 2023 at 10:30am

Taken with a DJI Mini 2
SS: 1/320 second, ISO: 100
Altitude: 58 M

We were up at the top and could hear the water being pumped into the top lift before each journey.

4 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Welland Viaduct

Taken 30/09/2023 @ 08:27 with DJI mini 3 pro

Also known as the Harringworth Viaduct, the Welland Viaduct crosses the valley of the River Welland between Harringworth in Northamptonshire and Seaton in Rutland.

The viaduct is 1,275 yards (1.166 km) long and has 82 arches, each with a 40 feet (12 m) span. It is the longest masonry viaduct across a valley in the United Kingdom

All 82 of the viaduct’s arches were completed within 13 months.On 5 July 1878,

It was designed by William Henry Barlow (10 May 1812 – 12 November 1902) he was an English civil engineer of the 19th century, particularly associated with railway engineering projects. Barlow was involved in many engineering enterprises. He was engineer for the Midland Railway.
With John Hawkshaw, he also completed Isambard Kingdom Brunel Clifton Suspension Bridge.

4 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Time and date : 11:04 30/09/2023
Aircraft/camera used : DJI Mini 4 pro

This was a road improvement project, running for a mile and a half across Rooley Moor, on the outskirts of Rochdale, from Catley Lane Head Village to Ding Quarry, devised by the Poor Law Guardians to provide paid work for unemployed and impoverished cotton workers during the ‘Cotton Famine’ of 1861-65.

3 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Another viaduct!

Whalley Viaduct (aka the Whalley Arches), Lancashire
Fri 29/9/23 15:46
DJI Mini 3 Pro

The viaduct was built around 175 years ago and still carries trains across the valley.

4 Likes

THIS IS MY ENTRY

Its an iron bridge in Scarborough crossing the ‘valley’ to the spa built in 18something. The Grand Hotel is off to the left, at the time of its building in 18somethingabitlater, the largest hotel in Western Europe (dont look at the current reviews!)

Dji Mini SE, Sat 30th Sept, no idea what the settings were (auto).

This was the only day with a windspeed less than tornado for just about the whole RTF time slot!

Well done everyone else for getting anything at all.

2 Likes

@group-challenges

The competition has now closed for entries and here are the resulting images gleaned from this round of the Reason To Fly competition - Victorian Engineering. Just a handful of entries this time, it seems the weather has got the better of us over the fortnight. But quality beats quantity any time - so vote for the winner amongst these fine images. You can determine the outcome of the poll below by voting for one, all, some or none of the images - you have until 22:00 on Monday2nd October to complete the task!

The next round of the RTF competition - Ugly Buildings - can be found here

I’d like to vote for more than 1 picture but i can only pick one at the moment so sorry to the others I couldnt select.

My fault. The poll was set at single vote rather than multiple and not noticed until your message. The software for polls allows no changes after 15 minutes so we are stuck with one person, one vote :frowning:

It was a bit hectic trying to get this and the calendar competition poll underway and to promote the new RTF and calendar competition all at the same time. Normal service will should might be resumed for the next poll.

Shame, I would have voted for at least 4 photos. Really hard to choose between them so asked the missus to give me a number between 1 and 4! :hugs:

Well done, good shots, love the Grimsby Tower! Bring on the ugly building!

@john768 Well done John excellent winning photo mate, I saw it and gave up looking! :rofl:

Well done to all the entries that were captured in a particularly naff period of weather! :clap:

@john768 well done great photo , Ugly buildings that going to be interesting one .