Safe, legal places in or near Cardiff

Hi all, I’m visiting a friend in Cardiff in coming weeks, never been so don’t know the area… Any tips for good views/video areas and spots you can park etc… Cheers!

I flew from near the Barrage on Cardiff Bay when I visited recently.

You can park at the barrage, and walk under the cliffs to a pretty deserted stretch of beach, keep back from the cliff edge as there are some rock falls. Flew over the water to view the barrier and the Bay. There was also a deserted ruined house on the cliff top which I had a look at. I’d only had my spark for a short while, but hope to visit again with my MP2.

1 Like

Looks perfect, thanks buddy

@MementoMori @Imleon any suggestions on this one guys?

1 Like

I have been thinking about this @jedpause, how confident are you and will you have someone with you when flying?
How far do you want to travel and what area are you staying?
Might be able to arrange a meet if I’m not working and obviously the weather of course.
What do you say @Imleon @craigevo?

1 Like

I will be up for that

Hi @craigevo , welcome to GADC!

See you are new so feel free to post a thread in #introductions.

If you haven’t already, take a look at the Map of Members. This is a relatively new feature so not everyone is on there as yet, but I’m sure there are other members in your neck of the woods that will come and say Hi that may also have ideas on locations.

(Don’t forget to add yourself to that map : Members’ Location Map - A Guide)

Also, if you’ve not seen it, check out our map of places where members have flown. Obviously, this is mainly populated by posts from the more sedate drones than yours, but there’s always a change that it might be of assistance.

Hi @momentomori confidence wise: very! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:, and as for travelling… My aim is to spend as much time with my friend in Cardiff… However if there is some landscape etc worthwhile I’ll give it a go… Cheers

Sorry, didn’t mention, will be on my own

Seven Bridge anyone ? Maybe not at the moment.

It’s a bit of a tough one as there isn’t a lot of places really, obviously following the Drone Code it is a bit difficult.
I tend to go out early or late to avoid crowds but then you only have a few places.
You have the barrage as already mentioned, Pontcanna Fields where I flew early one morning last week, Roath Park Lake, Llandaff Cathedral, you might get away with Bute Park if you stay near the river and away from the castle (Not flown there myself but have seen some photos from here), Penarth Pier.
There are plenty of nice places with a bit of a drive, it all depends what you want and how much you want to put in, like walking the two miles to the top of Pen y Fan at 3am like we did in the summer for sunrise :roll_eyes:
There are loads of places up that way in the Brecon Beacons.
Outside of Cardiff there are loads but it all depends how far you want to go and if it’s just a quick in the air for a photo or a fly about for video.

Pontcanna Fields, Cardiff.

Pen y Fan and Corn Du
Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Folly Tower, Pontypool.
Imgur

Imgur

Twmbarlwm, Risca.
Imgur

Imgur

Nash Point, Marcross, Llantwit Major.
Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Llanharen Wind Farm.
Imgur

Imgur

Cardiff Bay.
Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Pontsticill Reservoir, Brecon Beacons.
Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Chepstow Castle.
Imgur

Tintern Abbey.
Imgur

Imgur

Severn Bridge, not actually on it though :rage:
Imgur

Prince of Wales Bridge as it is now known.
Imgur

Imgur

Dunraven Bay, Southerndown.
Imgur

Imgur

Ogmore Castle.
Imgur

Imgur

Penarth Pier.
Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

This one showing Cardiff Bay, the barrage and Penarth Pier.
Imgur

Caerphilly Castle.
Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

The Brecon Beacons.

The Canyon, Llanhilleth, Abertillery.

Talybont Reservoir.

I hope this gives you some ideas, some videos mixed in with the photos, if you want to know more details on any of the above just ask.

2 Likes

Great photos Richard !:+1::ok_hand:

1 Like

Thank you Leon :+1:

Thanks very much for taking the time to pick and share… Looks like a great deal of work is behind the locations and content… I’ll have to go up a few times I think! My friend did also suggest the Beacons… I will check on the map and make a plan, thanks again

No problem, there are a few videos as well to wet your appetite, the Beacons are about 45 miles north of Cardiff.
Give us a shout when you are coming and we will see what we can do if you want to meet up.