Sapperton Canal Tunnel (South) - Added to Rivers and Canals in South West

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission not required.

Parking & TOAL: 51.701184, -2.047934

When Sapperton Tunnel on the Thames & Severn Canal opened in 1789 it was the longest canal tunnel ever constructed in the United Kingdom at 2.17 miles (3.49km) in length. Today it is the third longest.

Construction started in 1783 and the first boat passed through in April 1789. The last commercial traffic to use the tunnel was in May, 1911.

As early as 1916, roof falls made the tunnel impassable to normal boat traffic.

Today Sapperton Tunnel remains impassable with a number of significant roof falls, and a complete blockage near the Sapperton end.

Length: 3,490m or 2.17 miles (3,817 yards or 173.5 chains)

Nominal width: 4.4m (14ft 4in) height: 4.7m (15ft 4in)

Maximum height of overburden: 66m (216ft)
(The distance between the tunnel roof and the surface ground level above.)

Distance from Wallbridge (Stroud): 7.5 route miles (12km)

Canal ascent from Wallbridge: 73.5m (241ft)
The tunnel is on the summit (highest level) of the canal which is about 111m (360ft) above mean sea level.

Tunnel entrances: Coates (east) & Daneway (west), both in Gloucestershire (UK)

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 20/11/2022. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

1 Like

Looking south from the tunnel entrance. 350m to Cotswold Airport FRZ, which you can see in the background.

1 Like

Sapperton Canal Tunnel longitudinal section:

1 Like

Reckon you should fly the Avata the length of that tunnel. :wink:

Gooooo on @clinkadink :point_up:t2::smiley:

I’ve got some spare hard hats if you want to go for a trip inside mate!

Guess what? Sapperton Tunnel is being restored. But that’s the tip of the iceberg …

I’ve just found out that the Thames and Severn canal is being restored by the Cotswolds Canal Trust. The project started back in 2001. Phase 1A complete, and opened by Prince (now King) Charles. Work is now onto Phase 1B.

The scale of this project is MASSIVE :scream:

From Saul to Sapperton:

From Sapperton to Lechlade:

1 Like

Another visit then :smiley: missed a bit

I want to fly here @clinkadink, but there are no parking or take off and landing markers. Would you be able to add some to the map please?