Scaredy cat hoping to lift off soon in Felpham, West Sussex

Hello to all drone chums. Wimp from West Sussex here! A couple of years ago I bought a Phantom 3 Pro, but for several reasons I still haven’t flown it. I’ve just bought a DJI Mini Se to train myself to learn how to fly before I tackle flying the Phantom (christened Amelia after Amelia Earhart).

My Dad would have loved drones, I have fond memories of him flying his model aircraft and me traipsing around after him. I suspect had he been alive now he would have kidnapped Amelia and got her airborne straight away :grinning:

The Mini was all set up yesterday, got the app loaded and the Mini and RC introduced themselves successfully to each other. Almost had a foot out the door to go fly when I noticed the battery on my phone had drained considerably. It’s been doing that for a while now as it is quite old so recalled my foot back inside and sat down and ordered a battery replacement kit. I’ve never swapped out a phone battery but willing to have a go! Anybody ever replaced one?

So that’s where I am now, sitting waiting for the postie. I’m also hoping that I can hook up with a local pilot just to give me a few beginner pointers.

Linda x

Hi @Kenners and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

Have you seen our members map? (Click the burger-menu in the top right) You may find some pilots living near you. :+1:t2:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgeable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the #questions-and-answers category.

Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene - be sure to log in to gain access to the full suite of features and map layers:

And please feel free to add locations of your own too.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ as we’re quite different to other clubs and you’ll be eligible for some rather exclusive club discounts as your membership level increases :blush:

Welcome once again!

1 Like

Hi Linda - welcome to GADC :+1: :+1: :+1:

Time to get out there flying - its a lot easier than you think - especially with the DJI camera drones :+1: :+1: :+1:

Afraid I can’t help with any personal experience replacing a phone battery but I’ve always found this site very informative - HTH

1 Like

If you’ve not dealt with the sort of micro electronics inside a phone before, leave it to someone else. It’s incredibly fiddly and very easy to break bits. The videos on YouTube make it all look easy, but it really isn’t. I say that as someone trained in electronic engineering by the BBC. Take the phone and kit you’ve ordered to your local independent phone shop and get them to fit it.
For what it’s worth; phone battery life isn’t much of an issue with the Mini controller as the controller will be charging the phone from it’s own battery. That will last for much longer than you’ll be flying for.

1 Like

Welcome to GADC Linda. :+1: :+1:

For info, there is a setting in the DJI Fly app to allow the controller to charge your phone as you use it.
I think it’s under the 3 dots at the top right, then scroll down in ‘Control’ … it should be obvious when you find it!

1 Like

I am somewhat in the same boat as you. Bought a Phantom 3SE three years ago, get it out of the box once a year, but still haven’t flown it. Mitigating circumstances. I live in London, I have no car, and I don’t need the unwanted attention. Joining this group just today has inspired me to get my act together, so have spent this morning charging batteries, in the hope and intention of actually taking it somewhere remote to fly it next week. Things that you just don’t know yet, can be intimidating, but I am sure these things must be really easy to fly. As for the battery change issue, same again. I bought a replacement battery, watched all the videos, then decided to just buy a new phone. If you do go ahead with the battery swap, VERY important you make certain everything on that device is backed up, just in case you break it while trying to fix it. Also, stay away from Gatwick :wink::grin::joy:

1 Like

I am relatively local to you - Hayling IUsland - closer by water than by A27 and A259 :slight_smile:

I understand your reluctaance - it is easier to imagine all the things that can go wrong rather than everything that normally goes right. Don’t overthink things!

I’m available if you want to meet somewhere halfway - or have me suggest somewhere - and I can watch and advise as you make some basic flights.

If you haven’t sorted your phone I have a couple spare that we can use until your phone is healthy again. What phone is it?

1 Like

Welcome Linda :+1:

1 Like

LOL! Same here! I’ve just ordered a new phone too!! My old phone was/is an iphone 6s so I can mess with it and not worry about a negative outcome.

Linda

Thank you very much for the advice. I’ve actually ordered a new phone now so I can delve in with glee on the old one! Didn’t know about the Controller charging the phone. Thanks again.

Linda

Fantastic - I knew I’d joined the right group here!

Linda

Thanks. It’s an iPhone 6s (I am always about 10 steps behind any new tech!).
I do overthink things, you should see the number of how to videos I’ve downloaded! I worry about my drone landing on top of Butlins just along the coast :grinning: I also worry about nesting birds this time of year.

Thanks for your offer too. I may head over towards Clymping or just sit on the big grassy patch outside and annoy my neighbours.

Linda

Thank you for that - their name has come up before as being reliable.
I know I will crack the flying - I think the thing is that I don’t want to crash first time out.

I get inspiration from watching Itchy Boots on YouTube. She is a young Dutch woman currently riding her motorbike from South America up to Alaska (she’s in Mexico at the moment) and her drone footage is amazing.

Best thing to remeber is that you control the drone, If it all goes a wee bit Pete then take your hands off the controls. The drone will remain where it is while you take a breath and have a think .

The best place tp practice can also be quite boring - a wide flat field or a large expanse of sand with the tide out. But you can learn the vasics in such a situation without fear of causing havoc :slight_smile:

This is often mentioned, but isn’t really correct. A drone won’t stop dead when you release the controls, just like a car it needs a degree of 'braking distance to stop. Not noticeable in a wide free sky, but near trees or other structures it’s probably the most common cause of crashes. If you take it slowly, just like a car, that distance isn’t huge, but it does need consideration.

I know. But trying to explain all that to someone new to flying is both confusing and not exactly confidence building.

Hence my second paragraph recommendation to use a wide open expanse of field or shore for a practice area.

Hi I’m new to flying drones I’m currently flying with a mini 2 , my advice would be open area first ,and once you get in the air for a few minutes and land again ,your confidence will double and you will be itching to get back up in the air again .
It’s really addictive , but you have to trust the technology , you will always be a bit nervous flying a drone but what a buzz it is when you get up there and get a few pics and videos.
So get out there mate and you will see :+1:

Thank you for that, I have a feeling in my bones that I will be addicted! However, speaking of bones, I fell off my bike on Thursday and broke my arm! In a fair bit of pain at the mo, so I’m having to content myself with reading my drone books and the posts on here! Ah well. only 6 weeks to go to recover :slightly_frowning_face:

ooh not good pal,get better soon and get that drone in the air,you wont regret it.
get well soon :+1: