Scottish Highlands

We were lucky with the weather on several occasions during our road trip to the Scottish Highlands.

11 Likes

I’m so envious of the footage you shot :slight_smile: Like it a lot. And just being there in those lands must have been a splendid experience too. Then there is the editing, color and music - all is envy-inducing!

One little question: what FPS have you been shooting at? What’s the max the drone would go up to? I have a nagging feeling that with so much panning, and given that we are just putting our footage on the internet, not on cinema or TV screens, shooting and making available online at higher FPS could make the footage even better. My impression this video is bellow 30 FPS, did I perceive correctly? Maybe just going up to 30 would make it better.

Also - and this is something I’m wondering myself - would this footage benefit from some motion blur added in post? E.g. after it had been shot, in editing program?.. Not that I really know how to do that yet…

@atagunov, you are too kind. It was just dumb luck I was able to fly at all, knowing how fickle weather can be in Scotland. The star of the show is really the landscape. It is truly awe inspiring. Music-wise, I did spend a few days looking thru royalty free sites for something that’ll compliment the locations and mood.

To answer your question. I both shot and edited in 30fps. Mavic 3 can go up to 50fps but I figure the video file will be a bit too big. Since I was not using any slow mo, I’d save a bit of space. I did notice after posting to YT that certain scenes did look a bit jittery. It was not there when I played it locally or even streamed it on a big screen using Apple TV. I thought it was bandwidth related or maybe it’s some processing YT did when it was uploaded. Some compression, maybe? I’m not sure. If anyone knows how I can get around this, I’d love to know.

Funny you mentioned motion blurring. I used Lumafusion on my iPad for editing (I used to use FCP but it was just too complicated for my purpose) and I don’t think there is Motion Blurring (I might be wrong as I’m no expert) function on Luma.

Perhaps one way to counter the jitter problem is to add a neutral density filter, especially on a sunny day. This should induce motion blur in the footage. I think I was too eager to get the bird into the air to remember that. Lesson learned.

1 Like

ND filters will help if you want to follow the 180 “rule” for motion blur.

Also if you set NTSC you can shoot up to 60fps (and then 1/120th roughly shutter) which will certainly help a bit.

You could also try uploading to YouTube at a higher bit rate.

Thanks. I will give that a go next time. Cheers.

1 Like