Sell Mini 2 and wait for Mini 3 or keep mini 2

@alexmciver we have moved your post to the same question asked last week. Please scroll up, it contains a lot of valuable advice.

When the Mini was about to be released there was a sudden rush of owners trying to offload their Spark’s, and a few regretted it in the long run.

The Mini had a few advantages over the Spark:

It was lighter at below 250g.
It had a longer flight time.
The camera had a higher resolution and was mechanically stabilised on three axis (The Spark was mechanically stabilised on pitch and roll but yaw was electronic.

However the Spark had very strong pro’s over the Mini:

It had forward facing obstacle avoidance.
It was heavier and had stronger motors and so was more resilient to wind.
It had more flight modes, including active tracking.
NFZ’s, FCC power levels, increase in speed, and attitude mode (flying without relying on GPS) were easy to implement without having to pay a fee.
Autonomous Waypoint Mission Planning via third party APPs.

I still own a Spark and I skipped on the Mini, but I did buy a Mini 2. Why I bought a Mini 2 I’ve yet to figure out as I’ve yet to travel further than the end of my driveway to fly it. I think since buying the Mini2 I’ve still used my Spark more (along with my Anafi’s) as it suits my flying style more, especially in Attitude mode where I’m not fighting the decisions of the GPS.

I would say to anyone intending to invest in a new drone release, wait until all those YouTube “Influencers” videos have become irrelevant after they have signed the NDA’s, and agreed to terms they won’t disclose, whom have received the new release FOC only to tell you how great it is, and then within days the manufacturer is rushing around to release firmware, and sometimes hardware, updates in an attempt to fix issues they thought they could get away with.

You can now breath again.

1 Like

With the new Mavic 3 coming out , November is rumoured , I don’t see them releasing a mini3 until 2022 at the earliest now.

Mini 2 is v v competent wee machine and the 8n!y thing missing is more sensors for obstacle avoidance which the other vendors are putting on their sub-250 drones …

I realised I was better with the 2 using it now rather than being droneless ….go for the 2

1 Like

Really don’t think obstacle avoidance is a big deal. Is anyone intentionally flying their drone too close to things?

Follow me on the other hand. Yes please.

Which obstacle avoidance REALLY helps with :wink:

Not intentionally but having got too close to a tree and lost it then yes it’s a big win …

Yes that’s a slight downside compared with the mavic 2 however I am thinking of maybe selling my mavic 2 zoom and get a mini - thoughts? Oh and the reason why I am thinking about it is because I live right in the middle of London

Everyone’s thoughts are in this thread Alex, scroll up and take a read.

1 Like

Wait until November and buy the Autel nano … :joy:

1 Like

I was going to wait for Mini 3 but then this popped up in my alerts.

You’d be better off spending the extra and getting the mini 2 surely? :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Sorry, I meant to add it would be a good second drone at that price

Keep the Mini 2 - it’s fantastic!

Agree with the consensus of the thread - waiting for DJI new models is an interesting hobby! I bought the Phantom 4 in 2017. The Phantom 5 was promised for years, pictures and specs even appeared in the press, the Phantom 4 production was ended… then … Phantom 4 production was re-started again - a change of heart from our DJI friends… the 5 would be next year… but it wasn’t. Now there is no Phantom at all (I think) and DJI are concentrating on the Mavic range. Anyway - sold my P4, bought a Mini2 (last week) it really delivers (for a ‘C0’ drone). So personally I would never wait for DJI to issue a new model as it may never come. If the model that exists and can be bought fits your requirements and budget then go for it and enjoy it. (My P4 lasted 5 years and owed me nothing). Have fun!

Even though It isn’t :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for your reply Chris - this was why ‘C0’ was in quotes… as we know there are no available CE marked devices available yet :frowning: (or will we now be getting UK marked devices…?) but the Mini 2 and other sub 250g UAVs (unless CAA change their mind in the next year) will at least still be usable for A1 category after Jan 2023 when everything else on the market goes to A3… at least that is my understanding.

I have the image below laminated and in my bag in case any member of public or officials wonder why I am flying where I am allowed to …

1 Like

:man_facepalming:t2:

(Class Marks)
:running_man:t2:

That’s the $64,000 question…

We’re starting to see fake UKCA labelled drones already :confused:

:grinning:

1 Like