Shaking like a leaf

Hi All, Hope you’re all enjoying the weather.

Had my second flight with the Mavic Air 2 a few hours ago AND I WAS CRAPPING MYSELF!

Firstly it was at a local park which was mostly empty and I could put myself well away from the kids playing football, but I did have an uneasy feeling about people around me. As I was setting up, a dog walker and her dog were heading over so I decided to pick up the Mavic rather than have the dog pee all over it.
Then, a rather unsavoury looking youth on a BMX started taking an interest in what I was doing. I thought, “If he grabs the drone and pedals off, I wouldn’t be able to do anything about it”. I think I was very nervous to begin with, as it was only the second time I’d been out of the house in nearly four months.

As far as the flight itself was concerned, although I was recording and looking occasionally at the screen, I was mostly concerned with keeping my eye on the thing so that I wouldn’t lose it against the bright sky and these first few flights are about familiarisation with the controls and getting confident with manoeuvering and getting safely back down.

What was surprising was the speed at which the batteries had discharged since first charging them, one was at 38%, another at 56% and the third wasn’t used. I need to make sure that I discharge them properly before fully recharging. In fact, I think I won’t recharge them again until the morning of the next flight.

Nerve racking but great fun!

L.

2 Likes

They’ll discharge automatically after a number of days. That number can be changed via your app, it ranges from 3 (I think?) up to 10 days max.

The setting is per-battery, so you’ll need to apply to to each battery in turn.

2 Likes

I couldn’t see it on the Fly App. Any idea where?

I think its another thing they cut down from GO4

1 Like

Well done on getting out and having a fly. Not easy to go out under current situation. New drone on top of that. I don’t think there are many that wouldn’t be nervous in your shoes.

3 Likes

Entirely possible :confused:

1 Like

Thanks. I’m sure it will get better as time goes on and experience is gained.

I just looked at the footage and boy, there were a lot of bugs and wasps flying next to it!

Bees love the Mavic.

1 Like

Dogs are often a bit of a nightmare. They’re often out early with their owners, and do like to chase things.

Bees tend to take exception to vibrations - ours dislike the strimmer but take no notice of the lawnmower. I guess a drone would be similar, though I’ve not flown nears ours to see what happens

1 Like

Take peace of mind knowing that if you lose sight of your drone, press the return button and when you sight it you can carry on.

3 Likes

It’s only natural - I was very nervous first few times out - £1000’s worth of equipment you don’t want it to get damaged or lose it!.
I was worried it wouldn’t come back or flew off on its own!
Hope you enjoyed your flight though, happy flying, stay safe

3 Likes

:+1:Correct, it’s 4 days by default with no option to change

3 Likes

Well, I never would’ve guessed they would do this. I’ve seen them swarming around streetlights before.

Absolutely. I can see I’m going to get nervous taking it up beyond fifty metres. I’ll just have to get used to not hearing and potentially seeing it. Put my faith in RTH and the camera.

1 Like

That worked extremely well, twice while flying today.

2 Likes

It’ll return - don’t worry :wink:

1 Like

They certainly do.

2 Likes

Didn’t you get any on your props?

At first I thought it was just a bit of crud and grass from the ground mixed with a bit of moisture from the recent rain, but it would seem that a few of them met their maker.

Went to work with a wet wipe after getting home.

1 Like

I agree the tech is good and RTH can be a saver but once you get confidence up and a good feel for the drone learn the sticks as best you can. I found that mimicking the modes (dronie, orbit etc) are an excellent way to learn.
There was an email from the CAA this week that discussed this. They looked at an incident where an operator ran into difficulty and wasn’t entirely sure how to manually get out of the situation.
I myself crashed first time out out of lock down. I was rusty and if I’d been on form I may have handled it better.
The cost of that crash has made me make an effort to get myself better on the sticks and I make more of an effort to Fly manually. Confidence in yourself is the key. I’m getting better at the sticks and less reliant on the tech.
Trust me it’s very easy to get complacent and assume something will happen when you ask it too. 99.9% of the time it will. Better to have some confidence for that .1% though.

4 Likes