Sharing Tips, Tricks & Skills Photo/Video Editing

I’m a Newbie to Flying UAS (Unmanned Aerial Systems as the EASA/CCA call them)

And I’m amazed at the ‘End Quality’ of the photos shown here Lots having been ‘Computer enhanced’

However it can be a bit off putting for Newbies considering sharing their Un-edited Photos because they are just still in the flying/learning /basic Photo (or Video) stage

Hence this Topic You Guys who do it can you Consider loading your Before & After shots and tell us just some of the things you do to achieve this

Thanks for your consideration of this Topic

I appreciate Some do it for Employment Full or Part time but most of you are years ahead So don’t worry to much I for one am not trying to ‘steal your potential work away from you

1 Like

that’s ok. the first thing to remember is the footage has to be right before it gets enhanced and that the same weather its photo or video. the get the rest right

2 Likes

You can only enhance whats already there, as @stevelyt has said above

Lots of threads on the same subject, perhaps you could share a photo with the class and let us all have a play, a little like show and tell.

Passes away a Sunday night.

2 Likes

This Topic was set up with others in mind Also

And to ask can experienced ones please Post Before & After shots

I hope this topic can become a useful go to for Newbies in the future not just a week or So

Hope that explains it a little better

When I have the Stills to Share I will. ‘Still’ early days for me yet Have bags of time but No one to look after bed-ridden Mrs so I don’t get out much during winter months discounting shops, doctors & hospital Appointments

1 Like

Until it descends into the usual drone police crap of late ;o)

2 Likes

Please withdraw that as I hadn’t finished writing How did you see that? I misread your post at first

2 Likes

Hi Ian you will get lots of great advise on this great drone club, the guys are more than happy to give tips like camera settings and flying tips. There are also lots of videos on YouTube for the above. I’m new too bought my drone last August, I use Davinci Resolve for video editing and there are lots of free advice on colour grading on YouTube, DR also have free tutorials of how to use the software. I use photoshop for single pictures. I set my camera to Raw and D- Log is that the footage is more grey so that the bulk of colour grading is done post droning. I also feel now even though I’ve only been doing it for 6 months or so that it’s very individual preference. What I mean is what you like may differ from some who view it, some like a little, some like a lot others don’t like it at all. So play with the software as per the basic instruction then do it to your preference.like these two pics from my iPhone

3 Likes

Good example Dave.

Thanks Chris I love this new hobby it’s a new learning experience with infinite possibilities, so many different variables it’s great :pray::ok_hand:

1 Like

Some tips to aid getting better footage.

Use manual settings as much as you can.
Use the histogram.
Use the grid lines to frame your shot.
Use AEB.
Research composition techniques such as the basic rule of thirds through to the more advanced golden ratio.

Hopefully these will give you an image you like for you to play with in post production.

2 Likes

As my wife would say “You have to play with it, Dear”
I do play with it, more than i should !.
er?, I am here taking about the camera/drone settings of course.

3 Likes

Okay so after seeing this thread I had a 5minute play with an old clip so you can see the difference between what the drone shot and how it roughly turned out after post.

If I recall correctly, I was shooting in Dlog on the day.

The footage here is edited using Filmora 9. My editing choice would normally be DaVinci but I’m still learning and am yet to work out the side by side system.

Details: 3D LUT : Teigan 28
Contrast : 40
Saturation : 46
Brightness : -66
Like I said, this was a quick 5 minute edit just to show the difference from shooting to finals.
And these are the results

3 Likes

As I said Chris, manual.

1 Like

I have not many downfalls (some may say i have many!), but one is, I do not “play” with my photos/videos.
I know I should, I have an i7 machine with plenty of legroom to do it.
I must give this a good try, and perhaps it will teach me that there is more to meet the eye.
I tend to take the “that will do” attitude, clearly from what you have shown above @McSteamy2010 ,that is not the case.
(a personal note to one’s self!)
Come on Chris, pull yer finger out and play !.
P.S. the video above is a superb example of what can be achieved !.
P.P.S You’ve convinced me !!!.

3 Likes

I to used to have the that will do, this looks awesome attitude, until I got into editing then you adopt the shit! This is amazing attitude, why have I not done this before.
Editing is also very addictive, the differences that can be made are incredible. Definitely worth playing around with. And the editing :grimacing:

2 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

Thanks Tim I will look into all these some I’m already aware of Others I’ve never even heard of so yes a big Thanks :smiley:

Not sure about your windows editors but just a quick auto colour correct in FCPX (MAC Video Editor) can make a world of difference. Here’s one I did earlier

2 Likes

Chris, what setting on the drone do you use for shooting video? That clip is really good even before colour correction :thinking:

1 Like

Generally I shoot in manual, trying to get as close to a shutter speed of 1/50 of a second.

Nearly always have white balance set as cloudy.

2.7k 25fps as a general rule of thumb, only because I found that best for my Mac for editing, also I’m able to mix footage from Sony camera and GoPro without too much change in quality.

Hope that helps.

*I try avoid auto as much as possible, it jumps about too quick for me, exposure wise.

3 Likes