Shipham Hill Quarry - Added to Everything Else in South West

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

At the top of the gorge near cheddar, 360 degree stunning views, bit of a nightmare to find this one when using the sat nav, which takes you to warrens hill ( where there is not entry for the quarry ) ignore warrens hill & head for mendips raceway, warrens hill road shipham, there is two sides to warrens hill, so its easier to head for the raceway which will take you there, go past the raceway & you will see places to Toal to your left & right, I Toal’d at the side of a farmers field down the bottom to my right, where the owner turned up in his tractor & was absolutely fine, he got out of his tractor & wanted to talk about his drone he got for Christmas, looked at my screen & said there amazing things,
Apart from that there was no one there, you may get the odd car or van pull up which I see twice at first, I’m assuming just people on a break or a little rest or admiring the views,
gorgeous place would visit again as there’s many other lovely places nearby.

NOTE, when you Toal from anywhere within this vicinity do be extra carful as when you are facing west / south west behind you is bristol airports FRZ which is between 900 - 1000 metres behind you.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 10/01/2024. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

3 Likes

Used to race large scale RC cars at Mendip Raceway years ago - never knew there was a quarry anywhere in the area - will have to give it a shot :+1:

3 Likes

@Jhdee john
I just found this on Google

To the south, Shipham Hill Quarry was acquired by the County Council in the late 1920s . Certainly it was one of 18 quarries owned by Somerset County Council in 1931 and was one of the four most important to them, continuing until it closed in 1976.

However not a 100% sure but, the other side of the quarry / warrens hill road takes you to what is maybe another quarry adjacent to it, where there is aggregates lorry’s going in & out all day, or whether that part or part of is still in use, or maybe a part they started again however long ago,
I’m no quarry expert but I have to say ( shipham quarry itself ) does look deserted compared to the others I’ve seen.

1 Like

Sounds interesting - could this be a venue for a meet if it’s deserted :thinking:

2 Likes

Quite possibly, while I was there one of my subjects was to get near or above the gorge but had to abort that due to very windy,
The bit that I’m coming to is, at the side of the speedway as you may know there is a massive piece of land / green which sits smack bang in between the quarry & the raceway, it has a gate & I don’t know who owns it but, if I could try to find out who owns that land to see if or permission needs to be obtained ( this would be even better ) rather than at the deserted end of road, that said, the farmer who approached me which I highlighted in the DS entry would be a good approach to ask, or even maybe his field & invite him along as he has a drone ? I’m 99.9% I would know where to contact him, so I’m sure it would be no problem to make contact, I’m out that way again in the next week fingers crossed, or I could get my friend to go & inquire but would rather ask myself, anyway even if we could not get a field, as emphasised in the entry above TOAL is no problem & there is more than enough room for many :+1:t2:

Edited - reworded as I felt like I was maybe highlighting an address of the public a bit to open.

1 Like