So... what's on your bench at the moment?

Thanks to @notveryprettyboy for getting the LiPo disconncted quickly, he tells me it was bloody hot :hot_face:

2 Likes

It looks a little hot! :rofl:

3 Likes

Buxxer, Motor is shaxxed :angry: :angry:
UMT have NO stock :angry:
Neither have HobbyRC

So upping the size to 2807 and gettting four of these;

I’ve got these Emax ECO II series motors on another quad and they haven’t given me any trouble, so at this price worth a punt :smiley:

2 Likes

Ah, I’ve added 4 of those 2807s to my basket a number of times as part of a 7" build and keep chickening out.

Anyway, this is what’s mostly on my bench at the moment…

Granted, it’s not a photo of it actually on the bench, and it’s not a racing quad either, but it’s running INAV, FPV and is sort of self-build, so it kind of counts for this thread.

4 Likes

'cos it does :smiley: it must have been on the bench to get build :+1:
Nice photo, it’s a nice looking bird, how does it fly?

I’ve just finished fitting my 2807 motors, will be flying them tomorrow with @notveryprettyboy & @DeanoG60 (if he’ll be let out to play, sorry I mean, if he’s finished his decorating TeHe)
I’m impressed by the build quality of them for the price, magnets seem strong (plenty of cogging)
Though with my style of flying it’s resilience and strength I’m looking for :laughing: :laughing:

2 Likes

Flies very stable indeed. It has tons of low-end power but doesn’t have any torque-roll tendencies, so manual hand launching is not a problem. Once in the air it seems pretty rock solid in manual mode. Stabilised modes in INAV are a bit wobbly but that’s just a case of getting a couple of autotuning flights in I think.

Only slight concern is that it comes in to land quite fast. There’s a nice little mown airstrip in our local park and if I put it down gently there it slides along the ground for quite a way. I flew it in another field with patchy and rough/deep grass and it caught on a clump as I came down, cartwheeled a bit and snapped a wingtip off. On another similar landing it stopped dead and ejected its batteries (losing all my autotune settings). The wingtip was easy to sort with a bit of glue and tape, but I just need to be a bit careful with landings as I don’t think it’s the most robust of airframes.

Looking forward to trying some waypoint missions and other INAV shenanigans, once the weather improves a little.

1 Like

Hi Steve.

This isn’t any longer on my bench, but thought I’d share the conversion of my iFlight DC2.
It was my first quad after entering the hobby just after DJI released their FPV digital goggles. I “researched” long and hard and settled on the more expensive (but future proofed) digital route. BnF manufacturers had just started making digital sub 250 models, but the only available solution was the DJI air unit.
At that point I had no idea what weight does to a sub 250g quad. :rofl:
I ordered my DJI FPV goggles, a Radiomaster T16 S with crossfire, and an iFlight DC2. The time and frustration I suffered to get all this new kit playing nicely together is another story!
One of the reasons I bought the DC2 is I saw a YouTube video of someone flying it in their house, and saying it’s ok to fly inside or outside. Great, I can learn to fly my 4S digital overweight whoop in my flat I thought!
It was clear straight after arming and a very wobbly hover in my hallway that this wasn’t going to work. It was far too powerful for a complete noob to control inside.

The DC2 is a bit of a strange quad. Standard, it runs 2.3” props in prop guards but is also supplied with a set of 2.5” which fit with the guards removed. For its size it has a oversized power train in order to cope with lifting the weight of the DJI Air Unit and TPU mounts. All on 2.3” props. It’s basically too heavy.
So after one hover I decided to change the Air Unit for a Vista. Changed the prop guards so I’m now able to run 2.5” Gemfan props. Removed the Crossfire antenna TPU mount and remounted a new lighter antenna up front. It’s now 30g lighter, with bigger props, and flys great :slightly_smiling_face:

Some bench pics.

6 Likes

Not quite a drone project, more of a drain project.
My outside drain is blocked, and I can’t quite get my hand or pokey stick round to dislodge what’s blocking it. Lard? A dead rat?
I have a broken test colonoscope from work, together, with a 3d printed mount so my phone can supply a light source, I can peer into the drains, surgically, where as once, it used to peer up bottoms.

6 Likes

Hope you’ve given it a bloody good wash Karl :joy:

2 Likes

I wouldn’t want this thing up my crack, I can tell you!

2 Likes

Haha it looks like it would be a little uncomfortable to say the least mate :grimacing: lol

2 Likes

Test lashup to see if I could get GPS working on my Titan DC2…and it works :slight_smile:

Coming from the DJI world I did miss not knowing what altitude I was at and how far away I was :slight_smile:

I was hopeful as the drone arrived with a short cable and socket already soldered to the FC board - though the plug which came with the BN-220 GPS module didn’t fit I did have a pigtail cable with the right plug :slight_smile:

Next step is to 3D print a mount and shorten/tidy the cables. As long as the mount is less than 8g the drone will still be under 250g with a 450mah battery fitted :slight_smile:

To try and improve my throttle control and low level manoeuvres, I am making use of some 6’ fluorescent poles I salvaged from my lads rugby ground.
Together with some 3d printed connectors, I should be able to make a race gate for our club field.

3 Likes

Experimenting with fibreglassing a foamboard plane/wing

Made a bit of a mess of it to be honest, but it doesn’t weigh a tonne and feels pretty tough, so we’ll see. Looks ok as long as you stay 2m away :grinning:

Just got to fit all this gubbins inside now somehow, plus space for a battery, then we’ll see if it flies.

3 Likes

Turned up to a spot to fly today only to realise I had a bolt missing from an arm on my 5".
A cable tie did the job for the day, and still faster than @DeanoG60 quads :laughing:
I’ll repair it properly tonight.

2 Likes

Connecting the electric string

( iFlight Chimera 4 Deadcat version )

3 Likes

Be interested to see how you get on with this once built,

Was looking at this as a potential next purchase

Today is a good day as I’ve managed to put my pants on by myself, though I still need pharmaceutical assistance to move about . So to celebrate I’ve decided to make a start on the Quanum X470. I’ve had a rummage in my bit’s box and gone with 4xT-Motor 2208 1100kV motors spinning 10x4.5 props, a Pixhawk FC, but I’m in two minds as whether to use the DJI 30Amp Opto’s (3s-4s) and use the Jeti HiCopter 40Amp (2s-6s) for a bigger build project.

I may also fit FPV gear to it but I’m not going the camera drone route as I want to use this to experiment with LiDAR and Optical Flow.

9 Likes

Sooo close to 250g - of course it would be under 250g if I’d bought a Caddx Vista for it, but I already had the DJI unit. Weight goes up to 278g with a 650mAh, and 291g with an 850mAh.

( iFlight Chimera 4 Deadcat )

7 Likes

Upgraded my shark byte patches to vas crosshair extreme. Just for experiments sake really!

7 Likes