Some footage from Iona

My family has a house on Iona, so I get up there most years. This is the first time I’ve had a drone to take with me though.

Oddly hazy in some of the shots… not sure if that’s just moisture in the air - it didn’t look that way from the ground (the lens was clean).

3 Likes

Wow! There’s a bit of viewing to be done there! … after #F1 and #MotoGP (if the latter ever happens due to rain).
Thumbnails look really good!

1 Like

That’s not even everything :slight_smile:

1 Like

I need to spend some time in Scotland, as I was saying elsewhere, earlier.

Western Isles certainly attract me.
One day …. :+1:

1 Like

I can recommend a place to stay. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just me on my own might rattle about in that. :wink:

1 Like

Hmmm - a week over Christmas suddenly came to mind … even on my own. LOL :wink:

2 Likes

Now it appeals to me even more …#OffTheBeatenTrack. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Heh, it’s nice at Christmas, though there’s the risk of the ferries not running. We intended to go up the year before last, but couldn’t get there until the 27th. Cue last minute rearrangement of Christmas plans.

You’re not allowed to take a car onto the island normally - we do but we need to get a permit from the council as owners, and we’re only allowed to drive to/from the house - we can’t use it during the stay. Try Fionnphort for directions.

Yup - got close enough directions. About £350 for diesel for the round trip - so probably won’t happen.
Knew cars were not allowed … just surprised Google Maps gave up on it.
Some time I might pick your knowledge for something smaller.

2 Likes

The curse of living in the South :slight_smile: I hear it has some benefits.

2 Likes

£350 diesel!

Not Iona but Arran, Kintyre and Islay is nice.

Sleeper train up to Glasgow, train over to adrossan and £20 gets you a hopscotch ticket between the isles.

Would do it in summer with some wild camping.

Lot of walking but that’s part of the fun.

1 Like

Train to Oban is an option, then it’s just a ferry, then a bus, then another ferry to get to Iona. :smile:

2 Likes

I’ll probably do Iona as part of a 4 week tour of Scotland some time in the not distant future … camping mainly, hence car needed.
4 weeks of accommodation would kill the bank!
Managed 89 days camping to, around, and back from, Italy for under £4k for everything including diesel, MotoGP race tickets at Mugello, and ferries to/from France, mainland Italy to Sardinia, Sardinia to Sicily and Sicily to mainland.

2 Likes

Based on your interests, you might want to time it for the Mull Rally.

1 Like

Hmmm - yes - October - no - not this year. But I’ll certainly consider that for scheduling next year. Thanks! :+1:

2 Likes

Amazing video. And great views…

Fabulous shots. Do you take any precautions against a premature drone swim? I’m always nervous over water.
We live near Oban and sailed round Mull in July. Saw a pod of about 6 Bottlenose Dolphins playing in the wake of the Iona ferry. We anchored in Tinker’s Hole - a most spectacular place.

p.s. Don’t CalMac mind you flying over their ferry? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

a) The drone doesn’t know it’s over water … it doesn’t suffer from nerves.
b) If it falls from >100ft over land, it’s a broken muddle of broken bits and a gonna anyway.
So - flying over water doesn’t really concern me.

OK - it might try and land on the water if the battery gets critical or home has been updated and it goes into RTH (auto, or from the app/RC).
I like to think I’m not so clumsy for either to happen.

1 Like