Some footage from Iona

Thanks! I’ve come to trust this thing pretty well. And I figure the shot is worth the risk. When I started I was always over water as I preferred that risk to the one of accidentally falling on someone’s head.

1 Like

My thinking was that at 120m it’s legal, and with the noise of the engine they’d never notice it anyway.

1 Like

Amazing! I always hear about people seeing dolphins but so far I haven’t :frowning:

We were on a boat in the Caribbean recently and we were taking off from the bimini and hand catching. I think that’s the closest we’ve been to risk of it getting wet, but managed fine.

1 Like

Wow, Caribbean! Different league:grin:
It’s not the dunking I’m worried about, as long as I can retrieve it. I’ve got replacement cover from Heliguy that covers seawater, but you have to have the dead Mavic to send them. Also, I’m an electronics engineer and I reckon I could revive pretty much anything with board level components.
What do you think is the best way to ensure you can always retrieve a drowned drone!

This is why I haven’t bothered taking any cover out. If it goes in the sea the chances of recovery are minimal.

I had a look at the inflatable things you can attach, but in the end figured it was overkill. The best way to avoid a drowned drone is to not crash it. :smile:

There’s a thing called a “Getterback” that I’ve seen that some people use.

1 Like

I agree, but the whole point about accidents is they’re never intended! :smiley:They do happen sometimes, though. No-one can guarantee that it will never happen and if the chance of an accident is 10% then I reckon its worth spending 10% of the cost of the drone on insurance. I wish they still made the “Waterbuoy” inflatable keyring. That would supposedly support 500g.

Getterback - that’s what I was looking at.

It’s worth it, but if it’s not going to pay out in the most likely situation, it’s less so.

1 Like

I like the Getterback idea but we often sail in water deeper than 100 ft. The Heliguy insurance is like the DJI refresh, it will do one replacement in the first year, as long as you send the drone in. You don’t pay anything for the replacement, unlike DJI.

Ah, I had in my head that it was a gas release float, like a life jacket. I guess that float probably wouldn’t be enough to keep it afloat.

The other option I’ve seen is this, though it might interfere with flight, particularly if you have a bit of wind.

P.S. Constant conflict in head - I want wind for sailing, I want calm for the drone!

I think it is a gas release float, but it is a small float on the end of 100’ of fishing line, with which you pull the object out. The MA woud just pull it down to the bottom.
I’ve got the big polystyrene balls and leg extensions and surprisingly it doesn’t seem to affect flight much. I just need to test the flight time with and without.
I reckon about 5 knots of wind should be just enough to fill the sails but not too much to overwhelm the Mavic.

:wink:

1 Like

Hmmmm …

Did you know that, with still air and a really good battery, a Litchi mission all around Iona is theoretically possible?

2 Likes

At last got around to casting the vids onto the big screen.
Damn! It’s a beautiful place!

In the third vid, @ 5:35 … what are these patterns? Just people being silly or something of historical significance?

1 Like

I had considered that but decided against risking it even before going. I guess worst case it would just need to RTH though. In the end it was fairly windy most days so wouldn’t have been practical.

No real historical significance but the ‘labyrinth’ to the right has been there as long as I can remember (so 20 years +)

1 Like

That sounds like one for a disco.

Pretty sure you could make it round that 3 times.

1 Like

Your mission, should you accept it, …… :+1:

1 Like

Would need too many spotters :wink:

1 Like

Just run fast … in the middle of the island … I’m sure it’s possible? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Should be easily done with the MP in 2 missions.
Start at my WP10, cycle across to near WP3, stop and change battery, dash back again.

… with spotters!

1 Like