South pennine moors and understanding the SSSIs

Hi everyone.Im going to the south pennine moors over Xmas for a weeks break.Looking at the map of where you can fly,I can see a lot of the area areas in yellow….SSSI
I’ve searched this forum for anything relating to the area ,and see video of people flying quite obviously within this SSSI .I certainly don’t want to be breaking any laws or upsetting the locals.
I’ve been a drone pilot for a number of years ,have done the A2COFC ,flyer ID ,operator ID .Purchased a mini 3 pro to allow less restrictions.
But still don’t fully understand these yellow areas.If your take and land is off the side a public road this is surely legal.Do people take their chances and hike up a moor and take off ? Are these yellow area purely a warning to be aware of your surroundings.Most of the moors are privately owned so taking off from this land requires owners permission.Love drone flying but constantly feel restricted or I’m about to break the rules.Any thoughts on this ?

1 Like

Railway tracks are yellow on the map, so are electricity pylons.

What are these yellow areas @bobyracing ? Can you be more specific?

Can you click on the Share button and show us exactly what you’re referring to? Or a screen shot or something?

Vasts areas are in yellow.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about Drone Scene.

I don’t even know what app you’re using there, much less what part of the Pennines you’re looking at :blush:

Apologies ,I was using the drone assist app on my computer rather than the drone scene map on my phone.On drone scene
the big areas of the moors aren’t yellow but a different colour

If you click on the map layer Mark @bobyracing the popup info balloon window will give you a link to follow, to find out more information about each SSSI.

Once you know why that piece of land is a SSSI, you can make an informed decision about the suitability of flying a drone there :slight_smile:

I believe this is the area you’re looking at on Drone Scene:

1 Like

@bobyracing … Mainly relating to ground features which wouldn’t / shouldn’t affect any flying :

Just be mindful though of the upland breeding birds located there.

https://designatedsites.naturalengland.org.uk/PDFsForWeb/Citation/2000830.pdf