Stonehenge Sunrise

From Wikipedia:

“Stonehenge is a prehistoric monument in Wiltshire, England, two miles (3 km) west of Amesbury. It consists of a ring of standing stones, each around 13 feet (4.0 m) high, seven feet (2.1 m) wide, and weighing around 25 tons. The stones are set within earthworks in the middle of the most dense complex of Neolithic and Bronze Age monuments in England, including several hundred tumuli (burial mounds).
Archaeologists believe it was constructed from 3000 BC to 2000 BC. The surrounding circular earth bank and ditch, which constitute the earliest phase of the monument, have been dated to about 3100 BC. Radiocarbon dating suggests that the first bluestones were raised between 2400 and 2200 BC, although they may have been at the site as early as 3000 BC.
One of the most famous landmarks in the United Kingdom, Stonehenge is regarded as a British cultural icon. It has been a legally protected Scheduled Ancient Monument since 1882, when legislation to protect historic monuments was first successfully introduced in Britain. The site and its surroundings were added to UNESCO’s list of World Heritage Sites in 1986. Stonehenge is owned by the Crown and managed by English Heritage; the surrounding land is owned by the National Trust.
Stonehenge could have been a burial ground from its earliest beginnings. Deposits containing human bone date from as early as 3000 BC, when the ditch and bank were first dug, and continued for at least another 500 years.”

For lots more about this fascinating historical site, visit Stonehenge - Wikipedia

16 Likes

You can watch the Live mid-summer sunrise online this year as the site is closed to visitors. A small team will be broadcasting the event while Wiltshire police will direct anyone attempting to watch away from the site. Chief Druid King Arthur Pendragon is apparently unimpressed at the use of technology to remotely view a natural event.

1 Like

I really enjoyed that haunting music and the sun raise streaming through with morning mist what a combination superb well done

1 Like

Many thanks for your comment. Hugely appreciated.

Beautiful footage. You were lucky you had no other drone users on summer solstice!

1 Like

I have to agree with him. This is a ‘Crown’ site only being ‘looked after’ (or should we read ‘creamed off’) by EH.

“Oi, that’s your heritage mate! Belongs to all of us. Now p*** off and don’t come 'ere again!”

1 Like

Stunning footage mate, liked and subbed :ok_hand:

1 Like

Thanks Steve, much appreciated.

1 Like

Thanks Gerard. Yes, I was all alone apart from the 2 security guys (who I thankfully never met) and a couple of walkers coming down the track (which put the wind up me lol).

1 Like

Love this footage. I couldn’t be more jealous of the opportunity to do that. With all the army sites nearby, I wouldn’t dare do it.
Nice one

Should be fine early morning. Stonehenge itself is just outside the no fly zones.

As Mavic2Pro says Stonehenge itself is outside of no-fly zones. It’s partially inside the Larkhill danger area and surrounded by National Trust / English Heritage managed lands. If you look at the Dronescene map you will see that it’s possible to fly there, especially outside of site opening times.

Depending on where you launch you may find DJI flight apps whingeing about restricted areas - either use Litchi or sort the DJI app out at home before the flight!

@Mavic2Pro that footage is epic! Some of those scenes with the light flowing through the mist are haunting :heart_eyes: Were the maneuvers done by hand?

Thank you for taking the time to view comment. I would love to say yes, but I used Litchi waypoints. The butterflies in my tummy would have prevented any stable flight lol.

1 Like

Haha yeah I bet it was a little scary flying around such an iconic monument :grin: I keep hearing about Litchi, seems like everyone uses it. Must be good to be so popular with everyone. It definitely gives great results by the look of it :+1:t2:

And don’t forget, everyone who is praising Litchi has made the decision to spend the equivalent of a set of Master Air props for a Mavic Air on buying the app. In a marketplace stuffed with free or 88 cent apps Litchi must offer something food for so many to slash the cash :slight_smile:

1 Like

This I love :wink:

And another +1 for litchi, my goto flying app

2 Likes

Sorry for the typos - something GOOD, SPLASH the cash …

Typing in the dark.

1 Like

That is a fair point too Robert people don’t like parting with money for crap apps thats for sure. I may look into Litchi when I start taking video and try the way points but at the moment I’m flying manually getting used to controlling the drone and taking a few snaps while at it :grin: