Stupid question about no fly zones limits above HMP

I have no intention of flying above HMP Ashfield but I have a question.

Obviously it shows up red as a nfz but in the height limitation it states between surface and 164ft agl.

It also states drone no fly zones.

Am I wrong in my interpretation that I can over fly it if at 200ft?
It’s all learning!

Whether or not you are correct in your assumption I wouldn’t attempt it :slight_smile:

A drone flying over a prison will attract attention whether at 10 feet or 400. And even if you fly at 400 feet most of the prison officer witnesses will convince themselves it was just skimming the top of the walls.

If you are thinking of trying this out make sure you wipe the bird clean of your dabs and wear gloves thereafter. Op id needs removed of course. Then, if it fails over the exercise yard or is bright fown somehow it won;t be traced back to you.

3 Likes

As I said wasn’t in anyway thinking of overflying. Nothing interesting in there apart from the latest PlayStations and flat screen TVs ! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It was more am I reading the notification correctly. The airspace is restricted up to 164ft.
Above that the restriction doesn’t officially apply.

But if I used the Wife’s Mini?

Then you would have a nice empty house to come home to. For her likely fate try and find videos of the programme below:

1 Like

OMG… That takes me back!

Googie Withers… you can get a cream for that now

2 Likes

I’m not sure what you wear would make that much difference? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

If you’re gonna get arrested…

Back to the original question, technically am I correct that the nfz only extends from surface to 164ft?

Yes.

Apologies for leading the thread into not particularly hilarious territory. Now back on track.

The information on the Dronescene map layers is from various very reputable sources. FRZ info, I believe, comes from the CAA. So yes, you would be technically within your rights to overfly at 165 feet or 50.3 metres/ And hope that the height is spot on and that your flight data is in agreement when you are ordered to show it to the authorities.

1 Like

But only wearing a short skirt…

Just wanted to know i was reading the notification correctly. Thanks.

1 Like

Hey, I’m the one wearing my Wife’s clothes.

No worries, gotta have a larf as well.

Interesting. I would say you’re technically right in that the restriction only applies up to 164ft so head up to 50m and you’re clear of the restriction.

I think if you were ever tempted to test that out though I reckon you would soon be getting a tap on the shoulder and be asked to explain yourself. I also suspect that they’d find something other than the restricted airspace to stop you and, if they were in the mood, charge you.

Given the reason they introduced the restrictions around prisons in the first place, I don’t understand why they capped them at 164ft. Will probably only take two or three people across the UK taking the p*ss out of that and it will suddenly become 400ft.

1 Like

Thanks Joe.

Maybe using a prison was a bad example. I was just checking i was reading it correctly.

Why, as you say, only up to 164ft? If they want to stop you overflying just say 400ft.

The higher you go, the harder it is to drop things on target ( cough cough, nudge nudge :wink::wink: )

flight logs will show t is you

This comment was a said as a joke and taken as such. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure that if you fly over a NFZ with a DJI drone, it lands (if not previous permission has not been granted).

But technically, to the letter, above 164ft it isn’t a nfz.

That’s what my question was.

1 Like

The authorities have long been twitchy about overflight. About 10 years ago I flew in a GrobTutor over the prison at Wisbech (I think that’s the right town, in the Fens) at 2,000ft QNH and I got a call from the police. It was a helicopter avoid only, and up to 2,000ft, so I asked the officer why he was bothering and his reply was to the effect that any overflight was treated with suspicion. I had no argument with that . . .