Sudbury Hall, National Trust sneaky pic!

Sudbury Hall is a country house in Sudbury, Derbyshire, England. The restored mansion, is Grade I listed and houses the National Trust Museum of Childhood in its 19th-century servants’ wing. Took the photo just across the road outside the NT restriction zone. :innocent:

10 Likes

I did the same today, arrived at a remote site of an old church ruin called Tullynakill, which is under State care. On the gate I noticed a sign prohibiting drones, so I simply did not enter the property and operated from outside. There wasn’t a sinner in sight. I did wonder if this was legal!

5 Likes

@D0c.Col and @Will-R … perfectly legal. If you don’t TOAL from their property, you can fly within the boundary and film accordingly. They may own/manage the ground, but not the airspace above.

3 Likes

On my bucket list

2 Likes

That’s what I would have argued if challenged. This place is always deserted, so no no risk of injuring members of the public.

My favourite Dr Who! Do you have it in 4K? :wink:

1 Like

I have videos in 4k. But it aint dr who :laughing:

@clinkadink :+1:t5:I always check on DroneScene before or after arriving at location to see if I’m good to fly. Wasn’t a NFZ so like you say cant stop you flying! :grin:

Do you mean FRZ ?

If was a DJI made up NFZ, it probably wouldn’t have taken off :frowning:

I can’t remember the programme but I remember the theme tune!

1 Like

@milkmanchris might of done :rofl:

This is not actually true, however often it is repeated.

If you own the ground, you hold airspace rights. Amongst other things, this is why nobody can build a bridge spanning your land without your agreement. And it’s why you can cut down parts of a neighbour’s tree overhanging your garden.

If somebody passes above your ground and interferes with your “reasonable enjoyment” of your property, that may be nuisance trespass under civil law.

The Civil Aviation Act s.76 gives you a statutory defence against that if “all circumstances” of your flight are “reasonable”.

Summary: yes, it’s fine to fly above someone’s land, but not if you cause a nuisance. Clearly if nobody’s around, you should be fine, or if you fly high so they don’t even realise you’re there.

In reality, sueing you for nuisance trespass is incredibly unlikely anyway.

4 Likes

Alas, I doubt I could make all commerical airliners to reroute their flight path around my house :man_shrugging:

Difference between 37,000 feet and the nuisance caused by something at 100ft

1 Like

And light aircraft at 500 feet … which is all too common around Wiltshire?

Bringing it back on topic - filming NT grounds from the air is perfectly legal, as long as you TOAL from outside of their boundary.

You did read the bit in my comment about section 76 of the Civil Aviation Act, yes? That’s specifically what allows commercial airliners to fly over your house, as well as what allows you to fly your drone over other people’s land so long as the height is “reasonable”. Before the Civil Aviation Act, aerial trespass was only addressed by case law.

2 Likes

@notveryprettyboy . Now would be a good time to fly at Sudbury because its temporarily closed to refurb the children museum. There was virtually no-one about and the NT carpark was closed. I parked on the Main Rd in front of the Hall (no yellow lines).

2 Likes