Summer Roadtrip memories - Broch of Gurness

As we wake on cold and frosty day - and a busy one as we have a demo day at Axminster tools to attend - my ever aging bones need something to remember the warmth of the sun, so a short relaxing video from our midsummer trip to Orkney is I think the order of the day…

For such an amazing place - with so many neolithic remains - Orkney also has much history from other periods, there are lots of sites from the conflicts of the 20th Century, and from the times that the Isles were a part of Scandinavia, but today we shall look at the Iron Age, and the amazing Broch of Gurness…

It was blowing a hoolie the evening we flew this, but the MINI3 Pro coped magnificently… I am happy with this video, despite somewhat limited footage due to the wind… Perhaps my favourite bit is the random guy who lights his cigarette and then looks up and waves at the drone that is rising in a panning top down shot above him, it adds a human touch to the video that was unexpected but very welcome…

5 Likes

Wow!!! how the heck do you get great great footage like that… answer to my question to you is that you are a great pilot…

Recent crap one of mine, so any hints and tips would be much appreciated.

Hi Rich,

My first footage was not really any better, and I onky started 18 months ago, so if I can do it, then so can anyone…

You only get better with practice, and its about taking a long look at what you are filming and critiquing it, honestly and impassionately…

Your video is not crap, it defintiely has some good bits in it, there is an approach to the retail park at 9min+ with a subtle gimball down move that is great, as is the approach to the towers at 13 mins and some of the towers orbit later is good - although there is a little ‘crabbing’ present…

Ok, first things first, have you set your flying mode to Cine, and trimmed the settings to maximise smoothness? Ian in London has a great set of video’s on ajusting settings for smooth flight, which gives that cinematic look to the footage - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwVK87WJuik

Next, think about what you are presenting and your audience, while you may enjoy a long night flight video over the subject, will your viewers sick around and watch it all the way through? If they don’t then YT algorithm will reduce your video’s exposure - one of the metrics is watch length and % viewed. Somtimes less is more, for a subject like this I would be looking at an absolute max of 5 minutes, and given the tiktok generation and dwindling attention spans you may find that they dont view more than the first 30 to 60 seconds… Most folks will only watch 2 to 3 minutes unless they are absolutely engaged, so keep the length down - which also helps to keep your footage to only your very best bits…

Next, plan your flight, look at what intro and outtro moves you want, a gimball up reveal and a ‘flyawa’ move at the start and end of the edit will give your video a better storyline. Between thesee use a mix of diferent shts, tracking shots, panning shots, top down shots, rise ups etc. At first limit your movement to only one or two planes, such as flying right or left, or forwards or backwards, or ascending or descending, but as you get better you can combine them - one of my favourites is a tracking pan, where I fly in one direction and pan in the opposite, giveing a mush more interesting and dynamic feel to the footage.

As regards flying the drone, keep your movements in one direction, dont alter speed or move the gimbal, or alter the turning speed, and definitely no sudden movements, this will make it easier to achieve the cinematic smoothness that you need.

Ad then in editing, you can selectively boost the diferent bands of brightness, which will allow you to increase detail in the darker areas without burning out the brighter lights…

As always, make sure you stay ;egal with yur flights, at night use strobes for better visibility and to comply with CAA regs, and ideally try and have a spotter with you to watch the drone while you are concentrating on the screen and the footage you are capturing…

Hoe this helps…

2 Likes

Hi Suzanne,
Thank you so much or all the info there and taking all onboard to get better as I go on. Yes, Ian In London is a great YouTube buddy of mine and purchased items from him in the past.
I did have his settings saved on my drones for smoother footage but for some reason after updates, these settings changed. I do prefer flying in Cine mode as I get closer to my subject, but now and again have to switch back and forth to make sure it films in Cine.
For editing I use to use the very basic movie maker as rubbish with computers but that went down and cannot use. I now use capcut free and that is complicated for me. It took me hours to even edit my last video as things kept going wrong. Anyway, I will keep up the flying and hope weather improves as want to get out more.
I work in education… Not as teaching staff, but worked for Leeds City College as a Security & Emergency Response Team Officer. I have worked for the college for 20 years and currently looking after staff and students at Leeds Conservatoire which is performing arts and musical theatre etc and most days finish late.
Anyway, thank you so much for your great info and reply… By way, wish I had joined GADC a long time ago

Rich.