Tablets .. OS, size, performance and reliability

Hi @Nidge, that’s very good of you to come back to us with your experience of the tablet. Great feedback!

It’s disappointing to read that Droneshop.biz sell this tablet but maybe you received a ‘bad’ one considering that someone else had previously owned it…

Nevertheless, I’m personally wary about tablets that I’m not familiar with the name. I know this is shortsighted of me but there’s a limit to my “you get what you pay for” paranoia :smile:

1 Like

Indeed, Robert. I purchased this one direct from Teclast, via and fulfilled by Amazon, so there should be no issues returning it. I’ve been using a dual OS Teclast tablet for quite a few years and I’ve been very happy with it but I needed something smaller, with GPS, 5Gwifi, and a more suitable footprint for my DJI and Parrot controllers and for sitting on top of my Taranis. I’ve yet to here from Amazon and Teclast for an explanation for the misleading listing and why someone else’s details were on the tablet.
Regards
Nidge.

Here’s a coincidence, Robert.

After the very disappointing experience with the above mentioned Teclast P80X, and because I have a tendency to stomp around the house scaring the cat for days afterward, my wife has treated me to a Huawei M5 Lite 8 to calm me down. She works at a retailer and got a generous staff discount.

It’s early days yet but so far I’m a happy camper, and there’s been a surprise bonus. Rather than list all the specs I’ll just concentrate on the important stuff as far as drone type thingies are concerned.

Key points.

The build quality is very good.

It has GPS which is both fast in acquisition and low HDOP. This was a primary requirement as the Anafi uses the mobile devices location for some of its autonomous features such as terrain elevation changes in some of the followme functions.

The display brightness can be turned up so that in normal conditions it can be a bit hard on the eyes but should be comfortable in direct(ish) sunlight. The glass is quite reflective but can be minimised with a screen protector.

The latency, probably due to the processor, is distinctly lower than on my Samsung S7 when running the DJIGO4, FreeFlight6, and FreeFlight-Pro APPs.

The surprise bonus is that the 5GHz WiFi isn’t limited to just the UK/EU allocation. This means I can now display the image from one of my Yuneec aerial cameras that I purchased from the USA, which I was only able to view on my iPad.

I don’t know what my wife is expecting in return but whatever it is, now that I have this tablet, I’ll be too busy/distracted for any of those shenanigans.

Regards

Nidge.

2 Likes

Has anyone used the Huawei MediaPad M5 Lite 10.1 Inch 64GB Wi-Fi Android Tablet ?
Being 10 inch screen it suits my eyes better and I seem to remember someone commenting that this tablet works fine with the Mavic Pro. I have searched previous threads but can’t find the one I’m after where Im sure someone said it was recommended. Curry"s have a decent offer on at the moment which is very tempting BUT I would appreciate some experienced comments before I get “credit card crazy” - any help very gratefully received.

Looks like I have a gift voucher which means I should now be able to pick up the Mediapad M5 Lite 8. Any further feedback appreciated @Nidge @bombero - still working well?

Still no complaints from me. Battery life is still great. In brighter direct sunlight this time of year the display is a little hard to see but that might be more to do with my very reactive photo-chromatic glasses. They’re that sensitive I have to close the curtains during the day to see the TV.

Nidge.

2 Likes

Ditto, no complaints from me and concur with @Nidge re battery life and screen. I will add that the glare you get on the screen is no different from the glare I get just looking at my Samsung phone or work iPad. I use a sunshade as standard, no issues. I’ve had no disconnect or drop out issues when flying.

I use a apple mini 5th WiFi and sim , I have a pay as you go free sim in it to activate the GPS , it is not registered or linked to me and costs me nothing , I have always been Samsung but for the DJI fly app and go 4 the iPad mini 5 is truly amazing , perfect size screen and never have any problems.