Taking a Spark on a plane - how many batteries allowed?

I’m off on holiday next week, flying within the UK. I’m planning on taking my Spark with me, and will be taking it as carry-on luggage, but was wondering how many batteries I’m allowed to take on? I’m not sure if I’d be allowed 3, or is it 2 maximum?

Hello mate
You need to check with the airline but I took 3 M2P batteries to Portugal recently and had no issues.In retrospect, don’t think I needed to bother with draining the batteries either :flushed:

As Lozzer said… I also took 3 x Mavic Air batteries but check for restrictions with the specific airline.

I also put mine in an explosion proof pouch similar to this one: https://ebay.to/2MVUArs

Took my Air to Florida in April with Virgin - 4 batteries plus a/c in hand luggage - no-one batted an eyelid.

And it’s airport security that would have an issue, not the airline.

I wouldn’t worry, as long as the batteries are in your carry on luggage…

Cheers

I’m not aware of a maximum, I have taken 3 x Mavic Pro batteries to Mexico and Costa Rica with no issues in my hand luggage. As already been mentioned, get some LiPO bags to put the batteries in for safety. I had all of the batteries drained to the storage level that gets set after X days, not sure how much that matters though.

The issues would be if they were in checked in baggage.

Thanks all, appreciate the input. I’ve already invested in some LiPo safe battery bags, so hopefully there should be no issues.

Just got to hope there’s actually reasonable enough weather to fly (the drone!) while I’m away :sunny: :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think the LiPo safe bags are a scam to get you to pay money for snake oil? Anyone any views on this?

I think better way to look at this is ‘not are they snake oil’ but do they work? The answer to that, as with most things comes down to reserach and buying the right ones for the right battery.

For the cost of them (cheap), I would much rather have one and be suckered by potential snakeoil if it helps alleviate the rest of my kit going up in flames. That said, if one let rip in one of these bags, the flames might be contained but crucially, how do they handle the heat buildup? That would (could?) affect whatever is around the lipo bag?

Sorry chap, but I’m pretty sure that’s not usually the case. It’s the airlines that have a risk register against high capacity batteries. The airports don’t tend to care. The airlines are weary of batteries starting fires at 28,000 feet especially when their in the cargo hold with no way to access the situation or try and contain it. I even asked airport security at Gatwick in April… They couldn’t give monkeys.

I tried to look up the Virgin Airlines details but my phone isn’t making it easy to search their comprehensive list of items they’re bothered about. The BA one is a little easier.

The only physical check of your hand luggage is done by security. Virgin had the usual list of things you cant carry ( guns, explosives, acids etc) but no-one actually asked us, or stated there was a limit of batteries you could carry. As long as lithium batteries are in your carry on, everyone is happy.

Security at airports are enforcing the airlines flight risk registers. What would they care if a bomb went off part way through a flight 3000 miles away. By boarding the plane, you’re accepting the airlines flight restrictions. It’s why they ask if you comply at check in. I admit it’s a fuzzy area but aside the obvious risks associated with storing several high capacity batteries irresponsibly, you run the risk of being asked to leave them behind and destroyed potentially? I think chucking them in LiPo bags helps eliminate risk and shows you’re aware of the dangers and acting responsibly…