Teaching an old dog new tricks! Howdy from Bolton

Hi All

I’ve been on my hobbyist drone journey since 2015 when I purchased the DJI Inspire, which I still have.
Then moved onto the Mavic Pro 2 soon after it launched and then bought the DJI FPV about 3 months ago.

I recently retired so have much more time on my hands than previously, so looking to invest more time getting better skilled - landscape video and photos are my main motivation for getting into this.

I’m keen to improve my very basic skills with the DJI FPV as I’ve not yet ventured outside ‘normal’ mode! If anyone can help with this or point me in the right direction for any good in person training then that would be great.

Finally, my ‘civilian’ family and friends usually get bored pretty quickly when spotting for me so I’m very open to meeting up with other members for flight time if anyone is interested?

Thanks - excited to being part of the forum.
Steve

2 Likes

Hi @Crowtsa and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

Have you seen our members map? (Click the burger-menu in the top right) You may find some pilots living near you. Feel free to add yourself to the members map too :+1:t2:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgeable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the #questions-and-answers category.

Looking for recommendations of places to fly? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene - be sure to log in to gain access to the full suite of features and map layers:

And please feel free to add locations of your own too.

Please also take a moment to look at the Membership Levels section on our FAQ as we’re quite different to other clubs and you’ll be eligible for some rather exclusive club discounts as your membership level increases :blush:

Welcome once again!

1 Like

Hi from down the road in sunny Wigan :wave:t2:

2 Likes

Hello Steve am just down the road in Preston would be interested in meeting up one weekend happily gladly spot for you

1 Like

Hi Steve - welcome to GADC :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Howdy Steve from a very wet Westhoughton,

I too am retired and similarly bought the DJI FPV a few weeks ago - been flying it in Normal and Sports mode but not yet in Mad, sorry Manual mode - I will do but want to get some time in on the DJI flight sim then try that mode out at a reasonably high altitude. I’ve been flying drones for a few years now, al of my drones are fully insured for recreational and commercial usage, and have recently completed my GVC and got my Operational Authority from the CAA.

Meet up? Ready and waiting.
Barry

1 Like

Hi Barry - a meet up would be great…thanks.

I’m actually in Westhoughton too (Daisy Hill) but thought it easier to flag location as Bolton on here as it’s a more recognisable location for people to know!!

Whereabouts do you fly locally? I’ve done a bit around Rivington and practice mainly in the fields beyond Hall Lee Bank and the Guide Dogs Centre in Leigh.

Maybe we could pick a day next week if the weather improves?

Look forward to hearing.
Steve

Cheers Sam - that would be good. I’ll maybe give you a shout over next couple of weeks to see if we can catch up?

I see from your profile you were in Southport - I used to live in Banks a few years ago.

Steve

Yeah can do Steve keep in touch

Thanks PingSpike…looks like you’re one of the forums top guns!

I’m actually a bit closer in Westhoughton…where’s your favourite local flying spots?

Steve

1 Like

Thanks John - appreciated.

Hi Steve,

You could say I’m in Daisy Hill too - just! I live just off The Hoskers at the Wearish Lane end.

My most recent FPV outing was to Belmont Road (going over the tops from Rivington to Belmont), and from the car park at the bottom of the path leading up to the Pigeon Tower and Pike.

On Belmont Road there’s a nice lay-by for 3-4 cars on the left as you get near the top of the moor and from there you have either open moor to practice on or a nice long curvy stream slightly below ground level to attempt the swish-swoosh manoeuvres. The Pigeon Tower car park is adjacent to a large field with a lone tree to practice orbits and flying under the branches through the gap between branch and ground.

Practising for my flight test for my GVC (with my old Mavic Air) I used the grounds at Westhoughton Cricket Club (with the kind permission of the committee), the elevated area around a small football pitch next to Eatock Lodge, and the open space around Gibfield Park near the bottom of Leigh Road.

If you want feel free to contact me on bcf4363atgmaildotcom.
Barry

Hi Steve,

While I think on, do you have the motion controller for the DJI FPV? I have and it’s highly recommended for first time users - can only be used in ‘N’ and ‘S’ modes.

Barry

Hi again Barry… thanks for email addy. Mine is Steviecrowther@sky.com

I’m familiar with all the locations you mention…including the cricket club were I’m having my 60th birthday party in December!!

I do have the motion controller although it’s still in its cellophane as not had proper chance to use it yet. Part of the reason for joining the forum is to get more active with the drones, especially the fpv than previously the case.

Anyway, feel free to respond or whatever via personal email.

Best
S

1 Like

Hi Steve,

Almost 60 eh? Got almost 9 years on you - 69 at the end of January 2022! But still getting a buzz from flying!

Get that motion controller out of its cellophane and charge it up! It is FAR more intuitive than using the traditional controller - especially when starting out. I’m very confident using traditional controllers when flying in ‘follow me’ mode on my Air2S or Mini2 but this FPV thing is another thing altogether.

I’ll be in touch about a get together soon.
Barry

1 Like