The development of Drone Scene continues!

Thanks for the offer John, grateful :blush:

1 Like

@PingSpike

Filed a quick flight plan from work and got an email from Altitude angel about the flight being outside of the airspace currently served by Guardian.
Not sure if it was just a glitch or something more sinister. Flight was at BA2 9AP

Also just noted it listed as commercial but I filed it as recreational. I will leave it live.

This is actually a bug on the Altitude Angel side of things:

They’ve still not fixed it yet :confused:

2 Likes

I was wondering about that. Bizarre. And potentially with legal implications, I’d have thought?

1 Like

Sorry missed that. Just thought you should know, but yet again I’m late to the party!

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: An introduction to Drone Scene

A new version of Drone Scene has been released :tada:

What’s new since August? :thinking:

Not much I’m afraid - consider this more of an interim release :grimacing:

New Features

• None
  • Nada
  • Zilch
  • Nowt
  • Zero
  • Literally, nothing
    (sorry :cry: )

UI / UX Changes:

• Increased the Location name/title character limit
    – It was originally capped to 30 characters
    – You can now add Locations with titles of up to 100 characters in length
    – Requested by, well, just about everyone really :blush:

• Prevent people adding a /collection/ URL from Kuula
    – Kuula Collections are great, but we only need one image for Drone Scene thanks :blush:
    – You can now only enter a /share/ URL in the Kuula link box

Bug Fixes

• Vimeo thumbnails recently stopped working
    – The folks at Vimeo changed the format of their video thumbnail images and didn’t tell us
    – Rude

• Member Locations that had (brackets) in the uploaded photograph filename did not embed over here in the forum properly
    – Sorry @Acedrone this happened to a few of yours!

• Some areas in East of England were not being automatically geocoded correctly when adding a new Location

Other Random Stuff

• Minor content changes

• Embedded the Introduction to Drone Scene video in to the /about page
    – It’s ideal for people that are new to DS

• Added an SSL Certificate to https://www.dronescene.co.uk
    – Even though DS doesn’t use the www domain name, I added some shiny SSL to the redirection anyway
    – Requested by @firstadekit

As ever, please continue to enjoy Drone Scene and please keep those feature requests coming!

10 Likes

Congrats @Todddji on being the first to take advantage of the new title character length :smiley:

4 Likes

I’ll just drop this in the suggestion box

Is it worthwhile having the contact details of each airfield on the map - in a similar manner to the local authority lookup?

I realise it would be a lot of hard work for someone - probably me :slight_smile: to get the information though something like Pooleys Flight Guide would be a great help.

You decide on a flight round that nice looking monument you saw when driving past last week. Check on Drone Scene and it is inside an FRZ. Then you have to find the airport contact details, not always immediately evident on their website.

It could make things a lot easier if that info was available from the map. If that is overkill then would a list of all airfield contacts be a good addition to the forum.

Obviously those who have already flown in FRZ’s could be canvassed for the details they hold to make the job a little easier - a thread for submissions and corrections would be good.

1 Like

That data layer is provided by Altitude Angel, we can’t add to it I’m afraid as we don’t store it (it’s live).

I believe they’re working on something along these lines already, including methods to request permission to fly online. It might be some months away yet though.

2 Likes

Does the contact data need to be on the same layer as the FRZ data, The contqaact data will be fairly static over time. Or could the information be added in the same way as a new Drone Scene entry for a flying site?

A different marker, perhaps the placing of them restricted to a couple of people but the info readable by all might work?

Who to ask as well as where to fly, sounds interesting.

If it can be fed in via Altitute Angel when it goes live, it would make sense to wait, their system may be more robust. It’s all well and good giving contact phone numbers, but what if you phone and they say “you need to go to xyz.com and fill in the form at least 7 days before flying” especially as many want to know make/model/ if you’ve got insurance, exact co-ordinates etc.

Making the contact data non correct way of getting authorisation in the FRZ. Every airport seems to have it’s own way of doing things so far, especially as the way they used to do it seems to have changed, at least from some experience in the recent competition where I know myself and at least one other discovered the airport has to submit about 3 hours of paperwork at the moment.

I guess the coming soon system may be a simplified way for all the airfields/users to submit requests and authorisation

I had thought of that Ade. So each contact that I put on the map would have been verified by phoning or emailing the relevant person and ensuring that the details I gave were, in fact, the preferred way for them to be contacted.

I had intended that the actual placing of the details on the map be restricted to me alone or maybe with one or two other trusted colleagues. Any details sent to me by people who had flown in the FRZ or thought they had the correct details would also be checked and validated by me.

1 Like

That’s a lot of work though. Fair play! :slight_smile:

I spend a lot of time at home as I don’t work and any film extra parts I get are luck of the draw… I need something to do while waiting for my 3D printer to screw up another print several hours after starting :slight_smile:

(I keep hitting shift and typing £D printer which is probably far more accurate)

Personally I think it’s a great idea Rob.
Lot of work for someone initially, but if it means that we can be safer and save everyone some time and effort then it’s a no-brainier as far as I am concerned.
Rob

Remember this request from six months ago?

Well…

Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 19.24.49

:shushing_face:

I’ve also added in a filter so you can see a map of all the places you have flown :smiley:

This feature will be made available in the next version of Drone Scene, which will be released before the end of the month.

6 Likes

Thinking out loud… A future version of DS might even see a league table of popular locations :thinking:

(ie. a top ten of places that have seen the most members fly there)

Someone remind me of that later please :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Presumably we’ll automatically get the check box ticked if we posted the location anyway?

You may also need a mechanism to silence the notifications to the location threads e.g. when someone goes in on day 1 and marks a couple of dozen places they’ve flown?

1 Like