The development of Drone Scene continues!

Won’t always work - DJI craft have a smaller hardcoded internal NFZ database, as well the two flysafe databases in the GO and FLY apps. But yes, using Litchi will help.

2 Likes

Absolutely fantastic, time to delete a few apps on my phone :+1::grin::grin::+1:

3 Likes

How do I get the new mobile icon? Deleted the old link, opened Chrome, browsed to dronescene and added shortcut to home screen. Old icon & the old long description.

You probably need to force a full page refresh at least.
Was the same on my (Android) phone … had to do a pull-down refresh, and then the new icon was available.
Failing that it might need the cache clearing … depending on your OS/Browser.

1 Like

I’ve been playing with the new DJI layer. I now understand why trying to fly an area I had picked via Dronescene to be out of the many FRZs around Stonehenge gave me major problems using DJI GO.

It’s as if they grab the FRZ layer and apply a 20% grow to it and paste that as a new layer. I suppose by stopping you taking off near, but not in, anFRZ they avoid any adverse publicity if you do stray. Doesn’t say much for their faith in their own aircraft’s’ positioning capabilities!

1 Like

It’s this …

Excellent!

Good to hear that the new features have helped someone already :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks to all involved in the update to what was already an extremely useful app :clap: :clap: :clap:

4 Likes

Just discovered an interesting feature when adding my two penno’orth / sticking my nose in to this topic:

I fired up Dronescene and entered Mow Cop into the search. It took me straight there and the National Trust layer was on by default.

So there is plenty of non-NT land surrounding the castle. I went to measure the nearest point that could be used as take off site. The start of the measure pinned to the map but I couldn’t get the other end of the line to “stick”. on the castle.

When I switched off the NT layer I could measure with no problem:

Selection_549

and then had to check by switching the NT layer back on

Selection_550

(The large mouse pointer I use due to worsening eyesight obscures the wee distance box so I need a “sticky” line)

1 Like

In other areas it is the opposite: DJIs restrictions miss out entire areas of real FRZs because they apply overkill to “airports” and underkill to “aerodromes”. See for example my area below, first showing DJI restrictions and then the legal FRZs:

There are several areas at Barton and Chester where DJI allows you to fly but where to do so is illegal and almost certainly unsafe.

@PingSpike: note the green circles showing when I switch off absolutely everything except the DJI layer, not sure what is up there.

I went onto DJI NFZ’s but it never showed Mowcop as off limits.

If you click on it, it’ll zoom in and expand.

Usually to reveal a very odd “thing” :man_shrugging: :thinking:

Minor note of caution: the NT layer on Drone Scene shows NT land which is “always open” to the public (typically open space with no entry fee) or “limited access” to the public (typically houses and gardens with an entry fee). This is not the limit of NT’s land ownership. As you can see from this example near where I live, they own a lot more beyond the land where they permit access:

The red bounded area is the limited public access; everything in blue was acquired by the NT at some point. Some of it has since been disposed of: my local knowledge tells me that the map is not up-to-date in that regard. The source for this additional land information is here:

But sadly I don’t think it’s available as a layer for Drone Scene, not to mention the confusion it would cause. I have taken off from within the blue land at Dunham Massey before.

The NT byelaws apply to:

all land and water including estuaries, foreshores, lakes, ponds, rivers, streams, canals and other land covered by water, and buildings for the time being held by the National Trust for the benefit of the Nation

In theory their malevolent glare may therefore extend beyond the areas shown on DS. In practice, I intend to largely ignore this.

1 Like

Looking back, it seems the National Trust layer was added last December?

So - immediately after people must have taken a load of time/effort to add great new features, to start picking holes in it seems rather poor timing - imo.

Thanks for that. In this instance Dronescene and the NT map are in agreement but I have just checked Dunham Massey as you have shown it, if you go large scale some of the disposals, Lower Bollington for instance, are shown. Used to go out with a girl from Bowdon, the map brings back some memories :slight_smile:

And I have just checked my recent flight in the Stonehenge area. I thought I was safe but the NT map shows that they own even more land than Dronescene shows. But good luck to them if they can patrol acres of farmland well away from the paying attraction on the off-chance that someone is conducting a flight.

And, if they try and get me under the byelaw of causing a nuisance then I would have to ask to whom - no-one else around.

all land and water including estuaries, foreshores, lakes, ponds, rivers, streams, canals and other land covered by water, and buildings for the time being held by the National Trust for the benefit of the Nation

Well, there you go. Wait until the land is covered by snow and you can fly without any bother :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not picking holes in it. I have been a staunch supporter of Dronescene since I joined GADC. I have great respect and admiration for what those involved have achieved.

It is a continually evolving application. Developers need feedback and that is what I and others are trying to do both in open forum and elsewhere.

We pull the data live, directly from National Trust APIs, we don’t use any archived or static data in any of our map layers.

I can’t explain that one :man_shrugging:

What’s occurring here @macspite? Is it that the measuring tool won’t let you end the measure over the top of any other enabled layers? :thinking:

1 Like

Seems to be. It only works on the base layer. I can draw a line from one point,outside an FRZ across the zone o a point on the far side of the FRZ. I can’t terminate the line within the FRZ. No big problem :slight_smile:

Immediately after? It’s 8 months since I suggested adding the NT dataset and helped locate the source. Making people aware of its limitations is hardly “picking holes”, but go on, snipe away.

It was actually added 8 months ago. 28th Dec.

Read the whole sentence. The “great new features” were added today.

So - yes - review those. There’s been 8 months to suggest there may be issues with the NT layer.