The FPV Lounge. Advice for beginners and experts - Ask a question

And a ladder!, and a big pole!

An Evoque roof will do :laughing:

I never fly without mine.

1 Like

Weā€™ve got one of these at work and itā€™s great, bit pricey for your home buyer though

1 Like

I have a 9.1m 30ft docapole. I canā€™t seem to find them in stock anywhere at the moment.
But itā€™s one of these:

As for ladders, I have a 5m telescoping one. Again the type I have is not in stock anywhere, but itā€™s a bit like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ballshop-Telescopic-Multi-Purpose-Aluminium-Extension/dp/B081JVHM92/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=5m+telescopic+ladders&qid=1668956239&sr=8-10

1 Like

@notveryprettyboy Good title change Karl :clap:

Yeah FUCK DJI!

Back on topic. When I built my first drone I followed an Oscar Liang post, canā€™t seem to find it, but he has newer ones!

Worth a read!

And the best FC, ESC, Motors to buy areā€¦ the ones in stock!

Actually my martian frame held up to a whole year or abuse until it gave upā€¦ My replacement (I bought 3 when I got them as Ā£20 each, and the arms themselves (which Iā€™ve never broken!) were Ā£9 each!!) only went on recently after the bottom plate of the frame broke!

Only thing Iā€™d change on mine are the motors nowā€¦ Xing2 all the way please :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Get a Vista/Nebula or the new Runcam Wasp, Ā£120-Ā£150 for the VTX and Camera. I bet the o3 will beā€¦ ergh dread to thinkā€¦Ā£250!? The vista is a WELL known and SOLID VTX. Been through a few analog VTXā€™s, but the vistas, just keep humming! Actually I have a completely spare shrink wrapped box vista/neb pro for when CADDX stop doing them, as theyā€™re the best atmā€¦ (o3 not here yet)

That bind thing, whilst is annoying, I fly the DJI FPV the two batteries Iā€™ve got (when you need 5 for your 5inch thatā€™ll be the same price an ONE Avata one!), then rebind to the vistasā€¦ itā€™s only mildly irritating, but donā€™t get it as the goggles dual boot FFS! Keep one bind on one OS, and one of the other please :wink:

ELRS all the way (as you seem to have decided anyways), and yeahā€¦ Good luck and welcomeā€¦ Oh and order like 10 sets of props, different colours, and different pitches. all good fun!

1 Like

Can I not use the DJI FPV controller with the vista? I thought I couldā€¦ Iā€™ve got my trusty TX16S and ELRS, but thought could use that?! Hasnā€™t @clinkadink got the ā€œproperā€ controller for the avata? Or just the motion one

1 Like

As far as I know you cant Martin. I believe there were some rumours that it might be possible with the new O3 Air Unit but as far as I know even that has not been confirmed yet

Oh and any newbiesā€¦ Watch bardwell videos morning noon and night on repeat until it sinks in

Edit: And then watch them again when experienced; )

And spend money foreverā€¦ and ever

1 Like

From a quick google seems you can! Thatā€™d save some space in my kit bag. Read on DJI website itā€™ll work with Vista, and DJI Air Unit. Not the motion controller obv. I wonder what Betaflight would make of that! hah!

Where did you find that mate? Everything I read says it has to be the older black fpv controller to work with the Vista and Air Unit

Yeah actually a deeper dive and probably you canā€™t definitely couldnā€™t mid 2021! Not a biggy for me as the TX16S is a great (albeit a little large!) remote with weeks of battery life (bad zoro, bad!). Nearly tried wiring the sbus up on my rebuild last time, glad didnā€™t waste the time!

1 Like

Awww hereā€™s my lovely little frameā€¦

TBH itā€™s taken a hell of a beating over the year. Plenty of better options on the market now, and think youā€™re sorted there. It was actually oscar liangs recommendation on the build I followed at the time.

Found this when I googled him and the frame

Heā€™s a knowledgeable man and the end paragraph wasā€¦

"Why do I like the Martian frame so much?

The frame in these images, is the first Martian frame I bought back in 2016! Itā€™s the oldest frame in my fleet and still going strong after all these years. Best $20 I have ever spent. Since then I went back and bought 4 more and I havenā€™t broken a single one, not even an arm. But I did bend a lot of metal standoffs which are cheap to replace :)"

Yes, I have the proper controller too.

1 Like

Why cloth tape?

It seems somewhat preferred over electrical tape, and the only justification Iā€™ve heard is that it sticks better when cold/wet. However, my personal & professional experience with electrical tape (using it to tape sensors to stuff in the sea, which is both cold and wet) is that thatā€™s a general issue with cheapo tape, decent stuff is fine. Are there any other reasons I should be aware of?

I think the cloth stuff is tougher. More likely to resist prop hits than electrical tape.

I certainly will always use cloth tape rather than electrical tape on the quad arms. Itā€™s just better for the job.

I will honestly say that Iā€™ve never owned or used expensive electrical tapeā€¦

It also has a ā€˜cushioningā€™ effect and will aborb the impact of a prop strike better than ordinary PVC tape

In automotive harness manufacture there is a ā€˜feltā€™ like tape made by TESA TAPES called ā€˜fleeceā€™ this is great for this purpose :+1:

It certainly does. It doesnā€™t tend to peel either after a while