The Great Big GADC 5th Birthday and Treasure Hunt Challenge!

One grammatical, one for human error when posting midnight last night.

The changes were to clarify the one subject, one submission, no later replacement or substitution. For was changed to by:

Once your entry has been confirmed as eligible and/or added to the Leaderboard it may not be replaced or substituted by another entry at a later date

The other referred to item7 in the subject list. No hyperlapse was changed to hyperlapse allowed

1. A Freight train (Standard gauge rail) Photo or a video of less than 30 seconds (hyperlapse allowed)

More than 20 wagons
    All the same type of wagon (except locomotive(s) and guards van - if any)
    All the same logo on wagons or containers (except locomotive(s) and guard’s van - if any)

This was to make it easier if the train is a long one - as in this video

A side-tank engine is a specific type of tank engine.

Thomas is probably the most famous example. Side-tank was specifically used to avoid confusion with many other types of tank engines, some of which are difficult to verify without a close inspection.

More on the subject in Wikipedia:

1 Like

Cheers, what I suspected when I had a Google but wanted to clarify.

1 Like

@Challenges_Committee

Can I make a suggestion?
This thread will become very long so for clarity how about a seperate thread, posts only by committee, to record any rule changes as the competition progresses
This would make it easier for all to stay updated with any changes.

just an idea :+1:

That’s a nice idea Steve - as long as people will read it :slight_smile: We hope that the tweaks made this morning are thelast, they had to be made due to an oversight with wording carried over from other birthday challenges and a panic move at 23:57 last night when thefinal, beautifully formatted subject list was temporarily mislaid so a previous version had to be substituted, with the final revisions inserted from memory.

If we do need to make changes again we will certainly consider your idea.

#test

It better not :frowning:

3 Likes

To earn a Drone Scene bonus a Drone Scene marker and description must be placed on the map shortly after your flight and the link to it included with your image as part of your competition entry. The place to which it relates must be at least 1 kilometre measured on the Drone Scene map from any prior entry for the same subject. If there is such an existing marker then the Drone Scene bonus cannot be awarded.

1 Like

Only if there’s actually merit to marking it as a new place and there’s something interesting ot see, otherwise you might as well mark every car park.

Who is the committee this year :thinking:
Must say you’ve done a champion job so far, I’ve not yet studied the list in detail but a quick glance shows a super choice and a good change in emphasis.
:clap:

1 Like

The committee’s identities are kept secret to prevent recriminations and retribution

1 Like

The Challenges Committee for the 2022 Birthday Challenge

It’s only a secret if people don’t look at the /about page that lists the committee members :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil:

2 Likes

Well I’ve not heard of any of them…

1 Like

1 Like

It’s not like that page has been there for five years or anything :blush:

But is it up to date :thinking:

1 Like

Bribes, gifts, and other gestures of goodwill can be left at the gates of ChallComm HQ where they will be distributed appropriately amongst the members. Apart from Barry the intern, who - to all intents and purposes - is entirely useless…

Although as a committee we have full confidence that all competitors will already be finely examining the rules and committing them to memory, we feel that one change from last year needs particular emphasis. Please see the below extract from the Format section.

In essence, unless the subject tells you otherwise then we are looking for a single image. The rules post has been edited slightly to emphasise this change. And kudos to those of you who had already identified it…

Following on from @Steviegeek 's suggestion of a notification thread we have set up a Challenges group.

This is the link: https://greyarro.ws/g/group-challenges/

Clicking on it will give you a screen like the one below. The orange button in the top right corner will read “Join”. Click on that to join - simple!

The button will change to “leave.” All the time you are a member you will get notifications relevant to this Challenge and to future challenges, competitions and bunfights. :slight_smile:

anyway to stop it changing your flair when you join a new group?

because as you can see now everyone who has joined (bar me because I’ve already changed mine back) this new group they all have a little trophy next to their profile picture (unless like me they’ve changed it back already)

just a bit of advice if you do want to change your little picture next to your profile badge this is how to do it:

Click on your own profile badge from any one of your posts and expand it to your full profile then where it says Activity drop that down to preferences then scroll down to where it says Flair and change the group to what group has the image you wish to display. you can also change your primary group as well just below it.

hope this helps :+1:t2:

2 Likes