The Great Big GADC 5th Birthday and Treasure Hunt Challenge!

Ahhh disguising your entering eh. :laughing:

PS I’ve joined and I’ve not got a flair :man_shrugging:t3:

Shall we kick this off then:

Item 4. A Military site of either World War - wiki or website proof to be posted with your image

• Used in 1914-18 war only
  • Aviation use in either war
  • Run as a tourist attraction (website or wiki entry to prove)
  • Gate guardian (an aircraft or vehicle “standing guard” at the entrance}
  • Drone Scene entry

Claiming 2 Bonus points for:

• Drone Scene Entry

I think it’s up for debate how much of a tourist site it is, there’s a visitor’s guide and a website, but no brown sign for example, and it’s now managed under the wider Dartmoor Umbrella. The primary attractions are impromptu cricket games by day, and dogging by night, and the fact you can drive round it, so perhaps a half a point if the committee is feeling kind?

3 Points total (+0.5)

RAF Harrowbeer

DroneScene (incl. the much nicer Kuula 360)

Flown on 17/07/2022 - DJI Mini 3 Pro

4 Likes

Struggling to think why any airfield would have been only used in the first world war and not in the second and is now a tourist attraction with a gate guardian.

I am sure one exists somewhere :joy:

1 Like

Perhaps that is why this is called a Birthday Challenge rather than a Birthday Stroll in the Park. :slight_smile:

I had a look, at least for Devon every WW1 airfield is either still in operation and now a full on tarmac airbase, or a farmer’s field.

I’ll be mighty impressed if anyone gets a decent shot of one at all that isn’t used for flying anymore, the well preserved ones tend to still be usable grass runways for heritage events

Agree.

They exist even as tourist locations, but don’t have a gate guardian.

Unless we can count Fred in his security van guarding the entry! (I suppose it is a vehicle guarding the entry :joy:)

There are a few on the list that I am really looking forwards to trying to get the grand slam on though, church in a FRZ definitely one of them

Quick Q for the committee, how pointy and big does a church spire need to be?

Does a nubbin like this count or are you after the full on gothic look?

Never before have I been hoping for an upcoming temporary FRZ to be big…

1 Like

@Bobbysmile

We have had the usual committee discussion over your entry. Now tempers are less heated and the bleeding seems to have stopped we have reached our conclusion. Who knew our token good cop could pack such a punch?

It has been decided to award you the point for tourist attraction as at least one event has been organised there (as well as the dogging you mention) https://www.rafharrowbeer1940s.com/

So four points for you and thanks from us for starting off the challenge so quickly! Gives our lazy scoring staff something to keep them occupied!

1 Like

Thanks for the question.

We accept the Wikipedia definitions of spire (which include spirelet). If it is a slender pointy structure on a place of worship and the sharp end points toward heaven we will accept it.

A current or former place of worship is marked as such with a cross on an Ordnance Survey map. If it has a spire, minaret or dome the symbol is a cross with a black ball underneath. If your building shows as such on an OS map we would accept that as definitive proof.

2 Likes

Perfect, thank you.

I have access to digital OS maps for the UK, if anyone would like a location to be checked drop me a message

1 Like

my first entry

bay view holiday park, i didn’t continue counting past 24 as i ran out of fingers and toes, :crazy_face:

taken today at 16:01 with the mavic 2 pro.
I am claiming 4 points
A static caravan site.
24 or more mobile homes
all pitches occupied
5 or more caravans with green roofs

Plus i added it to drone scene. (i know no bonus point for that)

3 Likes

Quick clarification of my understanding please …

“Used in 1914-18 war only”

If a site was used in WW1, but was then in use only until say, hypothetically ‘1930’ i.e. before the 1939-1945 war, then that would meet the bonus criteria?

1 Like

Nice catch Steve!

Just as well you changed your viewpoint slightly otherwise we may have seen unoccupied pitches. :slight_smile:

chrome_tHctBqmnTG

You get four points - and thanks for the Drone Scene addition :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks for the points i didn’t think they counted as they are part of the touring caravan part of the business. It’s easier to see the green roofs closer up.

1 Like

The intention was to have sites, such as airfields or naval bases that were used in the First World War but, for whatever reason, were not used for military purposes at any time during thee 1939-45 war.

So your hypothetical site would gain that bonus.

We are amending the wording tin a vain attempt to make the intention clearer:

4. A Military site of either World War - wiki or website proof to be posted with your image

• Used in First World War but at no point used for military purposes in the Second
  • Drone Scene entry
1 Like

What a first day!

The scorers, drawing on experience from previous years, were dozing in the shade or wandering the exercise yard under the watchful eyes of the Committee’s “special advisors”.

Suddenly the klaxon blared; an unprecedented first day entry was being attempted! The “advisors” shoved the panicking scoring team back to their hutches and secured all the exits. Even in the sanctity of the Committee chambers eyebrows were raised and more than one gin and tonic trembled in unsteady hands.

The scorers manned their stations, now unfamiliar after almost a year since last use and, after prompting and physical persuasion, managed to encode the first points to be awarded.

For a glorious hour @Bobbysmile was a whole four points in front of the field then @stevesb came back from his excursion from the caravan site. So we now have joint leaders racing ahead of the pack. Will they stay ahead? Wi;; they remain neck and neck, head to head?

We will find out in our next leaderboard update, same time tomorrow!

LEADERBOARD

@Bobbysmile 4 1=
@stevesb 4 1=

Thanks for that

2 Likes

@group-challenges

Please note a clarification of subject 4., A military Site

4. A Military site of either World War - wiki or website proof to be posted with your image

• Used in First World War but at no point used for military purposes in the Second
  • Drone Scene entry
2 Likes

But what if we are going for the same church :joy: