The Great Big GADC 6th Birthday and Treasure Hunt Challenge!

17. A Listed Building - within an FRZ and photographed from within that FRZ - permission must be obtained prior to flight and proof of permission posted along with your image.
A successful submission will be awarded 3 points.

• Bonus point for Wikipedia entry.
  • Bonus point for 360x180 (spherical) panorama (host on Kuula).

2nd August 2023 Mini 3 Pro whilst dodging rain…

5 Points claimed

Church of St Aldhelm and St Eadburgha, Broadway. Grade 1 Listed.

The church is situated within the Merryfield FRZ. Permission is required from RNAS Yeovilton

3. A Steam Locomotive - x-6-x configuration ( six driving wheels). The track on which it runs must be at least 7 1/4 inch gauge

• Bonus point for having a separate tender.
  • Bonus point for visible steam/smoke from the steam engine.
  • Bonus point for both steam and diesel engines in the same shot.

Mini 3 Pro - 2nd August 2023 - getting very wet!

West Somerset Railway

Steam train with separate tender in steam with a diesel engine behind.

4 points claimed

2 Likes

Just got my permission to fly in a FRZ. DJi Flysafe have also accepted my unlock request. Good to go now ( depending upon the weather, just watch it p**s down for a week now )

I’ve never taken a panorama pic with my M3P, any advice on doing this and hosting on Kuula welcomed.

It is under photo, scroll down until you see the pano section, then pick the 360

It will do it all and output a jpg image.

Upload that to Kuula, click on share, get link or embed code

The copy and paste the Embed HTML

Thanks DroneGeek :+1:

1 Like

Not knowing if the committee agrees with the submission

And if you want to have a little more control over what you’re doing and the end result

Thanks for your entries @DroneGeek 5 points and 4 points awarded :+1:t2:
No issue with entries just been a busy day for all us minions today :grin:

1 Like

For those of you struggling with number 22

22. Park Life - a photo or video of activities in a town or city park (not a national park like the lake district)

• Bonus point if there is a Bandstand.

This may be helpful - several contestants could club together and share to bring the costs right down …

You’re welcome!

@group-challenges

It’s been a blustery day here in the Chall Com Bunker. We have been catching up with mail; the most common query we get is “Who exactly are the Birthday Challenge judges?”

We discussed retaining our anonymity but by a slim majority we decided to reveal ourselves to the good folk of GADC

So we had a little photo session and captured four of the five personnel. (The fifth, a precocious 22-year-old, was visiting his parents on the occasion of their silver wedding anniversary, giving the lie to the oft-expressed opinion that all GADC competition judges are born out wedlock)

6cpx47qcE

The Birthday Challenge judges busy checking Treasure Hunt entries …

What has their industry produced? Click the Pic™ to see how the LEADERBOARD has changed!

2 Likes

Hoping the weather is ok tomorrow so I can undertake my first flight in a FRZ ( got 1 week to do this though ) :wink::wink:

25. A Telephone Box

• Bonus point if it’s the old-style red box (K2 or K6)
  • Bonus point if it has been repurposed. Supporting evidence can be from any camera

I claim 2 bonus points for:

• K6 old-style red box
  • Repurposed to house a defibrillator

K6 phone box in West Malling High Street, Kent
31 Jul 2023 DJI Mini 2 (and mobile phone for second photo)
I claim 3 points please

2 Likes

Item 16. A Hillfort - as shown on the definitive Oxford University Hillforts Map

• Bonus point for Pre 800 BC
  • Bonus point for Wikipedia entry

• Pre 800 BC (has a tick in the 1200BC to 800BC time period on Oxford University Hillforts Atlas)
  • Wikipedia entry Highdown Hill - Wikipedia

Highdown Hill, South Downs, West Sussex
1 Aug 2023 DJI Mini 2 (in between rain showers)
I claim 3 points please

1 Like

4. A Graveyard

• Bonus point if there is a mausoleum.
  • Bonus point if there is someone famous (which most people would have heard of, not just a local celebrity) buried in the graveyard (wikilink or photo of the gravestone or similar for proof).

West Norwood Cemetery, West Norwood London
1 Aug 2023 DJI Mini 2 (and mobile phone for headstone)
I claim 3 points please

3 Likes

15. A Castle

• Bonus point if it was built pre-1350.
  • Bonus point for flying a flag.
  • Bonus point for having an entry in Wikipedia.

I claim 3 bonus points for:

Tonbridge Castle, Tonbridge Kent
1 Aug 2023 DJI Mini 2 (again between rain showers)
I claim 4 points please

2 Likes

re item 13.

Many sailing vessels will have a dingy at the rear, but tend not to actually have it in the water for various reason.

Are you looking for the dingy to be in the water or as per this image? as they call this as being ‘in tow’

Well, that is a new use for the word “towing,” one that we had not thought of. To us that may be hanging in stern davits or even lashed to the stern rail but we feel that towing should involve a: a length of rope or line and b: the towed dinghy to actually be in the water and separate from the towing vessel.

Well done Ian - you have found a two-masted vessel, we have found a dinghy under tow. Now to put them all together! Maybe you could have a word with the wafis in your picture and ask if they could trail their inflatable in exchange for a couple of pictures …

5. Public Art - be it a large sculpture, or street painting, it must be a work of art that can be seen by the casual passerby i.e. not in a gallery. Witty or Banksy-style graffiti is acceptable, plain old tags are not

• Bonus point for a Wikipedia link.
  • Bonus point if six or more people are looking at it (not just passing).

Blackpool Comedy Carpet, 12:26 03/08/23, DJI Mini 2

I think I can safely say more than six people are looking at it, but the extra point for a Wiki link may be up to the discretion of the good folks of ChallComm as while is is listed in the artist’s Wiki page ( Gordon Young (artist) - Wikipedia ), it doesn’t have a page of its own :frowning:

Living in hope, I claim 3 points :slight_smile:

4 Likes

25. A Telephone Box

• Bonus point if it’s the old-style red box (K2 or K6).
  • Bonus point if it has been repurposed. Supporting evidence can be from any camera.

Not just one red telephone box but eight of them, though sadly seven of them are still equipped for their original purpose, while the eighth is simply bare and doorless.

Located outside the Old Post Office, Abingdon St, Blackpool - pic taken 03/08/23 at 12:27, DJI Mini2

I claim 2 points

2 Likes

We are looking for a presence on Wikipedia, not necessarily a page of its own. Typing “Blackpool Comedy Carpet” into the search box on Wiki’s home page produces this:

Your claim to a point is valid, Martin. Plus we had a lot of fun looking at the full size image and trying to match some of the quotes with the comics that made them famous :slight_smile:

3 points

And two for the phone boxes!